Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's compensation package requires the company to meet certain operational goals in addition to the corresponding share price targets in order to be awarded.

In other words, simply "juicing" the share price will not unlock anything if production and revenue goals are not met.

It looks like it paid off to wait until today to balance my portfolio. Sold a bit under 15% of my TSLA this morning for $463 and $468. I fully expect these shares will be worth more in the future but this was was a good time for me to de-risk and re-balance a stock portfolio that was almost entirely TSLA. :)

With the new Giga/Tera factories in Berlin and Austin and Model Y soon to ramp in China IMHO the production and revenue goals will take care of themselves.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Robinhood desktop site has been slow and not working well today but the APP has been pretty smooth with some drag.

I find it disappointing that I had cash lined up today to get some $420s and the price launched. I can't complain tho because it looks like it is going to be a quick $10K+ on Put spreads I sold Friday. I know I said I was going to stay out with the uncertainty of the split on options but after the Robinhood email I was confident to get back in. According to Robinhood IV went UP today! I was really expecting it to go down. I guess the split was not the real reason for the SP rise. People must be pretty sure SP500 inclusion is a given now and want in before THEY start buying.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Can someone explain this 2 to 1 thing I hear about? Is this normal for a company to be able to split again without the consent of the board or something?

The Board of Directors must vote to split. If Elon asks them to, they will. It means it can be announced as a surprise again (because it doesn't require shareholders to authorize more shares) so shorts need to consider the risks before they find themselves with big naked short positions again.

With the new Giga/Tera factories in Berlin and Austin and Model Y soon to ramp in China IMHO the production and revenue goals will take care of themselves.

Well, so will the share price (take care of itself). The point is, Elon cannot juice the share price ahead of the fundamentals of the company in order to unfairly get additional compensation!

They are down because of COVID and related shutdowns.

They are not collapsing at the rate of 80-90% by 2025 pre covid.

Robotaxis aren't collapsing ICEv sales 80-90% by 2025.

There are limits to how many ICEv can be made. It is mining and chemical processing. Not reluctant dealers and slow moving legacy automakers.
We don't know how strong the recovery post-covid could be. Many businesses are discovering that they do not need as much office space as they did prior to covid because the trend to work from home has be accelerated. For an extreme example BP will be permanently closing 50% of its office space. This was part of laying off 10% of workers. So for BP the office closure is a recognition that a substantial port of office space can be avoided by work from home technologies and that demand for oil has taken a permanent hit.

So what would it mean to the auto industry if 10% of office workers now working from home never return to office space? Most private passenger vehicle are purchased to enable a daily work commute. Additionally the trend to online purchase with home delivery has been accelerated. So the need for a private vehicle for shopping has also be eroded. Many families are discovering that they need one less car. The consequence here is that the total fleet of existing vehicles presently over supplies the need for private vehicle and this excess can take years to work off. When the supply of used vehicles is more than adequate for mobility needs, new sales will be depressed.

So I would argue that long term trends eroding private vehicle ownership have been accelerated by the covid crisis. Thus, some amount of this shock will persist permanently. For example, oil demand was about 100 million barrels per day (mb/d) before covid. It fell substantially, but has now recovered to about 88 mb/d. Oil analyst now believe that it can continue to recover to 92 to 96 mb/d in the the next few years, but will plateau in that range. Thus, the industry is considering that 4% to 8% loss of demand (relative to pre-covid forecasts) could be permanently locked in. The loss of demand specifically for motor fuels also points to an oversized motor vehicle fleet relative to demand for motor vehicle miles. That is, the total number of registered vehicles may also need to shrink by 4% to 8% too. This creates huge headwinds that can depress new vehicles sales for the better part of the decade.

The counterpoint here is that that investors are coming to realize that EVs are the future. Investors are now hungry to find investment vehicles to play on the EV trend. Tesla is a major beneficiary of this. Other EV stocks are cashing in. Auto part makers will also lure investors by their expansion into the EV supply chain. Battery makers and their mineral suppliers will also cash in and scale up. So in spite of depressed new auto market, the big money will flow into the EV supply chain. The covid crisis has helped the investment communities to recognize that ICE investments are a wasteland. So as the money shifts to EVs, we could see the EV supply chain grow at an unprecedented clip, much faster than pre-covid.

So your basic suggestion here is that things cannot change as quickly as Seba's scenario. You might be correct in pressing the most extreme numerical target. However, things can change much faster than most of us expect. Covid is transformative event. Pre-covid BAU no longer applies. Covid has exposed the fault lines in ICE and oil demand. Reallocation of capital can happen just as quickly as Tesla rose from a $300 stock to $2200. The reallocation of capital changes the trajectory going forward. This is at the core of Seba's analysis of disruption. He looks for places where a 10X cost reduction is possible. This becomes disruptive once investors recognize the potential and reallocate capital to the new technology. Capital stuck in the old tech will be destroyed. So once investor start heading to the new tech there is a stampede to exit the old tech. The shift in capital reorients the market much faster than most market participants could have ever imagined. So what I am arguing here is not that Seba is numerically correct in his forecasts, but that he is qualitatively correct in suggesting that disruptive tech transforms the markets much quicker than most participants can imagine. This is why his projections seem so fanciful. They are fanciful because we struggle to imaging how it could all come together so abruptly. But my take on Seba is that we should follow the money. Capital is deployed where investors think it will generate the best returns, but once disruptive tech threatens returns on investment dependent on incumbent tech, capital can take flight abruptly. Ask yourself if it is possible for a legacy automaker to lose 95% of its market cap by 2025. We are a little more comfortable with the idea that capital can lose value rapidly than that production and consumption can shift just as quickly. Yes, the linkages are not 1 to 1, but Seba is really trying to wake us up to how abrupt change can be when capital is in an all out race to enter a new disruptive tech and to flee the legacy tech.

The big winner today is Robinhood. When Vanguard, TD, TOS, etc all simultaneously *sugar* their pants, suddenly RBH starts smelling like a rose.

Sounds like Robinhood has new software running their operations while the others have old legacy code which is more cumbersome to update.

Perhaps RH needed new code to make their business model work.

Sooo....if one had say pre-split sold 2500 covered calls they didn't really want exercised, and it's now looking disturbingly like SP is gonna go over 500 post-split sooner than later... Is there any better strategy to avoid that than just buying them back and eating the loss?

(I suppose you could buy back then resell at higher strike to effectively roll em up and offset the loss somewhat on the premiums for that.... anything better?)

Elon's compensation package requires the company to meet certain operational goals in addition to the corresponding share price targets in order to be awarded.

In other words, simply "juicing" the share price will not unlock anything if production and revenue goals are not met.

It looks like it paid off to wait until today to balance my portfolio. Sold a bit under 15% of my TSLA this morning for $463 and $468. I fully expect these shares will be worth more in the future but this was was a good time for me to de-risk and re-balance a stock portfolio that was almost entirely TSLA. :)
Before this morning's action $TSLA was already 95% of my investment. However, when you have only a small investment the risk of losing it is not so bad (the dollar amounts are just not that high, I have regular income, and a ten-year investment horizon -- so even a long dip isn't that concerning to me) and concentrating on a high return stock is necessary to build that small amount into a larger amount.

Maybe when $TSLA is back in the quadruple digits the balance between need for growth and dollars at risk will shift enough to sell some. I think it will be hard: I really like owning a part of the future, even if it is very small part.

Always so bearish. :p