Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Popular trading platforms TD Ameritrade, Robinhood, others face outages as Tesla and Apple stocks split

RH apparently has issues as well as many others.

also the site that someone generously pointed out earlier may provide some insight
Downdetector
Truly some weird stuff going on. Looked in my account and the result of the postings (to-date) in my account show a quantity (and value) of shares owned as more the result of a 1-to-9 split rather than a 1-5 split. Wonder how long that will stay there?

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
No, never before. I've been through lots of splits and don't recall anything like what I'm reading about this morning.
E*Trade seems to have things pretty much sorted out. I have a few tax lots that haven't completely updated, but it's not affecting the portfolio balance, just the computed gains. God knows what would happen if I tried to sell them now.

Any Recommendations on IRAs?

Not a fan of fee's.....
Ya, all my money is in TD Ameritrade as an IRA. No fees since taking control of my own money. Smartest thing so far. My ex-account Manager at Chase bank actually called me an "idiot" about 2 yrs back. (He had just left Chase so he was "allowed to be honest with me".) His name was Manny from Chandler Az. If anyone knows him, really tall guy, nice too... tell him nothing - mic drop.

I was encouraged to hold long in the IRA bc I wasn't 59 1/2 yet so steep penalties to withdraw. That was a blessing! Now I'm 60 and still don't sell except to rebalance into a cash account with also with TD, earning 0% interest and don't care. I think TD loves me in a new way, but IDK.

Anyway, you heard John Oliver's description of a Financial Planner (and all the other names for them)? It's hilarious. There is no test or qualification to speak of. The thing is, they are making decisions on old method and it's a new world now. People are wising up to the FUD and manipulation I think.

Ya, taking charge was a really good move for us. We had better info than any of them all along the way. And I totally thank this forum for this clarity, but you have to listen for it bc the crap out there is everywhere, the typical manager has no time to understand TSLA. But I do.

That has a much better ring to it than "I just bought three fifths of 1 share" :D
Me too, just before I read your post. I like it so much better that one can everyday play on side fractional shares. Entertainment day trading just got much cheaper. Obviously less riskier as well, considering the options market. I wonder if todays movement is the collective force of retail options traders.

Any Recommendations on IRAs?

Not a fan of fee's.....

Mine's in Merrill specifically to gain BoA Platinum Honors status (which can be leveraged for a few other benefits including higher cash back rewards on their credit cards).

No fees for normal trading- and they usually have some kind of signup bonus based on how much $ you bring.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dayreg and Big Time
"--Analyst Actions: Argus Research Lifts Tesla PT to $566 From $378, Maintains Buy Rating
MT NEWSWIRES 10:09 AM ET 8/31/2020
01:09 PM EDT, 08/31/2020 (MT Newswires) -- (MT Newswires covers equity, commodity and economic research from major banks and research firms in North America, Asia and Europe. Research providers may contact us here: Contact Us - MT Newswires)

Price: 481.30, Change: +38.62, Percent Change: +8.72"

Onward and upward!

E*Trade seems to have things pretty much sorted out. I have a few tax lots that haven't completely updated, but it's not affecting the portfolio balance, just the computed gains. God knows what would happen if I tried to sell them now.

I was able to sell back a few calls and buy the equivalent shares earlier today with E*trade. All looks good with exception of the computed gains.

• Informative
Reactions: Prunesquallor
Does anyone’s broker act like mine where they are still waiting for the extra 4shares/share delivered to them to post in the account?

I logged it today and my portfolio dropped to 1/4 of what it was Friday given how heavy my tsla position is.

The good news... even slashing my tsla value to 1/5... I’m still in the green. :D

Yea same here. My Fidelity accounts are to date but LPL Financial is way behind. Stock price for both Tesla and Apple are accurate but no additional shares added. And show a loss in the account value based on Friday's close.

MSN.com is showing a -$1,735 drop and Apple is down $369 so they are still comparing the pre split price to current price. Wonder how long it will take for everyone to get things straight.

Seems real hit or miss on how soon everyone is accurately updating. Surly this can't be that big a deal. Never noticed this in the past.

Goals for the day. If you know - you know.
goals.JPG

Where / how do you traders track call options IV? I can’t find it anywhere in my account. Is there a website that does this for specific calls? Or am I just confused, as usual (only now it’s 5x the confusion)?
I'm sure there is an easier place but I just look at my options tables in IBKR or Robinhood. (I don't trade RH anymore except crypto but still like their options info)

uujjj2 said: [URL='https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/goto/post?id=4956244#post-4956244' said:
↑[/URL]]
So now I have way more TSLA in my portfolio than I like holding of one company (six figures). Any suggestions on what investments to buy if I sell a big chunk of my TSLA shares?

I'm looking at ARKK to find more companies to hold. Many are already on my list and I own some already.

Last edited:
So now I have way more TSLA in my portfolio than I like holding of one company (six figures). Any suggestions on what investments to buy if I sell a big chunk of my TSLA shares?
Well, according to Elon Musk, a Tesla with FSD is an appreciating asset because it could be used as a robotaxi. He said FSD alone could be worth over $100k.

I understand the temptation to sell to “lock in gains” but I try to look forward and forget about the fact that I’m up 600% in $TSLA. I look at the incredible series of strong positive catalysts Tesla will bring forth over the next one to two years and consider whether there is a better investment opportunity right now. I haven’t found one yet.