Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MarketWatch

Robinhood, TD Ameritrade and more face outages after Tesla, Apple split stocks

'Saluzzi said that the problems appeared to be relegated to the retail platforms, as he didn’t see any hitches in professional trading systems. But when asked if there might be a connection between Monday’s trading snafu and changes occurring in the Dow and with shares of Tesla and Apple, the trading pro said: “Nothing is coincidental.“'

:rolleyes:

I'm also in a position where the gains have caused me to be completely overweight in TSLA... but I'm not selling shares directly. Selling weeklies that are way OTM to slowly try to use my shares to diversify. Any large run could cause those calls to be exercised, but at the prices I'm selling, I'd be near retirement goal anyway... and the market tends to have pullbacks after large gains.

I deleveraged a bit this morning. Couldn't stand the idea of getting out of my call positions, so I turned two of them into spreads. Not anywhere near the (so far this morning 497) top though.:( For one of them, I wrote October 16 470s for $60, so if TSLA is still below 530 by then I'll make money on that end of the spread too if I hold that position to expiry.

A big Tesla stock bull says this is one of the most common misperceptions on Tesla

upload_2020-8-31_10-20-45.png

Instead of screenshots, I found the best way for me is to have a GoogleSheet that mimics my trading account. This way, i have near-realtime portfolio value and exact personal daily/history trending and snapshots.

This also removes the temptation to daytrade for quick gain since the buy/sell button is not available. I lost a lot of shares because of constantly logging in to try and time the market.

I've been using a free account at Morningstar. It let's you have multiple accounts, keeps tracks of dividends and splts (although the TSLA split hasn't hit it yet) and has some customization & historical performance metrics. If you have multiple accounts it's a bit a of a pain, but I figured out a survival work-around. Let me now if you're interested

Haha, yes! I just sold another 7% at $483 and our brokerage account is STILL well over 50% TSLA. But I think we are at a good amount of TSLA now.

The crazy thing for me is that as fantastic as TSLA has been doing these past 12 months, my percentage of TSLA hasn't increased all that much. My other stocks are doing pretty darn well too. Nice problem to have.

It does seem rather incredible that so many established platforms could be experiencing trouble executing a rather mundane stock split. To me, it lends some credence to the naked short selling theory - these platforms have tried to reconcile the stock after the split and something weird probably turned up.

Well, let’s just hope it’s been punishingly expensive for Market Makers who were abusing their ability to naked short and to all short sellers of Tesla.

If the SEC won’t curb such abuses, maybe heavy hitters like Tesla and Apple can help do so and maybe send a message to the SEC too.

The crazy thing for me is that as fantastic as TSLA has been doing these past 12 months, my percentage of TSLA hasn't increased all that much. My other stocks are doing pretty darn well too. Nice problem to have.

So have mine! Most of them have at least doubled but the TSLA is up 8-12 times! And the initial investment was many times any of my other holdings.

• Love
Reactions: gabeincal
Just crossed the multi-Teslanaire line. I don't know if it will hold but it feels so good right now.

The journey from March 19 to being furloughed to today cannot be put into words. Very hard to contain myself. Good thing my wife is not in the house.

Just be careful how you handle the discussion. A wife may justifiably feel her trust has been let down by you not telling her what you’ve been up to with your joint finances — especially if you’ve not been bringing home the bacon for a while.

Advice.

Last edited:
Re- "locking in gains" I have to wonder if this is part of the reason the wealthy just get wealthier.

I absolutely understand if you have 500k in TSLA, it's life changing, and you run the risk of dropping 50% or something so locking in seems to be the safe play. But in the case where someone has 10, maybe 20 million or more, certainly it's not ideal if they dropped 50% but their life doesn't change any. They can just hold until it's higher again. I think this scenario where you're not longer concerned about your personal finances allows a much longer holding period and in the case of Tesla hopefully realizing gains for many many more years into the future.

Just a thought, I'm super happy for anyone taking gains - you've earned it. I personally don't have any better places to put my money if I were to sell so until something dramatic happens I think I'll be holding for 10 years. Even if an event does happen, there should be some warning of a downturn in most scenarios, or perhaps the theoretical -50% event will be after the stock has appreciated >100% from today.

Not advice, it could tank tomorrow, you gotta follow your own plans/strategy. I'm just curious if the large players have the same mentality because they don't carry the same risks.