Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost just had a heart attack. To be clear, this is NOT accurate.

TSLA AH.JPG

I once told my team in 2014 that one day tesla would hit $500. I never thought it would do that so soon after a 5/1 split. This is simply the transition to a new world. All the wealth accumulated in non-sustainable energy and transportation is now increasingly, before our very eyes, shifting to Tesla. No competition over the next 3 to 5 years will result in multiple trillions of net worth. I for one am enjoying the clean fresh air, water and blue skies of this transition.
Would like to add that I thought back then, in 2014, with all that Tesla was doing, other car companies would 'get wise' and start competing when they could plainly see that the Tesla product was better in ways that they couldn't compete with. And to be perfectly frank, it was apparent to vehicle engineers as well as lowly Staff Program Managers like myself. My assumption was that Tesla had a 5 to 7 year lead on critical components like AP hardware, Inverter efficiency, BMS software, infotainment software, OTA software and chassis packaging (for simplicity of this discussion). Given another company had vision and capital, they could implement a strategy and likely 'catch up' in 5 to 7 years.

Turns out, this hasn't happened, at all. With the speed of everything that is happening at Tesla in this pandemic, it seems Tesla has not only INCREASED this gap, but the gap continues to expand. I don't need to list out the reasons for this community, but it is so apparent now that there is ZERO competition outside of possibly Lucid (yeah Peter!) and hopefully Rivian. But the possible large capital and large scale traditional car companies are still not able to put in place a vision, hire or even attract proper management.

I'll add a bit of tidbit. I know custom ASIC development and I know technical program and product management as well as a customer delight. If Tesla has a battery breakthrough in the realm, even the ballpark, of increasing W/kg beyond that of the typical trend, their lead will continue to extend and grow well beyond 2030.

If you haven't read this article, The Case For Tesla's "Business Miracle" | Loup Ventures, it describes the 'business miracle' but in short, it is so rare to get more than 2 years head start, let alone 7 to 10 and then to STILL have at LEAST a 3 to 5 year lead (based on customer ASICs and software design) that continues to GROW is quite almost certainly a once in a lifetime event and quite possibly not yet seen in modern times.