Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the wrong comparison. What if you'd invested that cash into buying a call?

... I did.

At the time I opened the overall position I was effectively putting about 1 shares price in cash into buying each later-expiring 2500 call option, it was that cheap by offsetting the cost selling an earlier expiring 2500 call.

It was only by virtue of the shares rising over 30% after that, more quickly than anticipated, that I had to put more $ in to prevent the earlier sold calls from exercising, though not so much that the later calls aren't still profitable.

I mean, sure- if I had known the EXACT speed with which the SP would hit 2500 (500 post split) I could've made more without the sold calls.

But then if one somehow magically knew the exact dates then the "bullish" move would've been to sell ALL my shares and buy JUST calls, including maxing margin to do it- right?

Did you do that? No? Why are you so bearish? :)

Elon has added one more digit to his net worth today:

Real Time Billionaires

Well that's just a guesstimate for Elon, who knows what is the real value of SpaceX, not to mention Boring and Neuralink.

If those 3 comps were public he might be worth more than Jeff already...
+ Chanos & Einhorn would be even more in the red for shorting those too ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: UkNorthampton
No, never before. I've been through lots of splits and don't recall anything like what I'm reading about this morning.

I really dumbfounded by this. Merrill should be better than this...

download.png

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
It's weird...I am so much more wealthy than I thought imaginable at this point in time and yet I feel nothing. If I were to pull cash out I don't even know what I would do with it.

Do you have family that could use some help to enjoy their lives better? Do they need a new car? Some help with the rent or mortgage?

Local food banks? You could do serious help with a small amount of your TSLA gains.

Larger entities like FeedingAmerica or World Central Kitchen.

View attachment 582870

Yup- had to sit on hold like 40 minutes to buy to close those calls I'm talking about since they're unavailable to do so until tomorrow online.

On the bright side there was about a $12/share pullback while I was on hold so that saved me a few bucks :)

That makes no sense. How? You absolutely want to sell right now for $500 a share. $500 is your number.

Someone is willing to pay you right now $17 for each share at a 100 shares batch to have the right to buy them from you at that price Friday..

You are losing the $1700 bonus. Unless you really don't want to sell at $500. Sounds more like you expect the price to be much higher Friday not that you actually want to sell your shares.
or the SP drops $50 and he is a hole on friday.

View attachment 582870

Yeah, that's bad but the stories of brokerages not being able to reflect the true number of post-split shares in an account (because they couldn't get them in time) when the split happened a full week ago is what really seems whacky.

On another note, don't tell anyone, but we are up $275 today in pre-split dollars! Shhh....

OT...
Give some away, donate stuff too. People are hurting. Best effect if done in person. Go hand some homeless a $20 or a $100. If it feels good do it again. Never ever judge the person's intentions. Don't even wait for them to ask for help. Just do it randomly, not hard.

And Tip really well too - OMG, that really helps the food quality! Restaurants in pain.

If there is a "Today's Best Post" category - this would be the winner.

or the SP drops $50 and he is a hole on friday.
That is not how options work. If the SP drops under $500 close time Friday then he get to keep the $1700 and play again the following week. Alternatively someone can exercise early and buy the shares at $500 a share when they are not worth $500 a share yet. BONUS because you can then buy them back and resell another Call at $500. Problem can be most people use platforms with HIGH trading fees.

I've been reading a bit, and I think the general message of "stock split doesn't change anything" is fundamentally right, psychologically flawed.

The market is partly driven by sentiments, or dare I say largely... often you have news on companies that doesn't change anything fundamentally and yet stock would skyrocket/fall off the cliff.

The split, not only showing Tesla's confidence in the long run, but also adjust investors, especially retails, perceptions greatly.

Say the stock was 2200 last week, which for many could be a month worth of disposable income, drops 5%, or $110 in a day... that's a psychologically big number for some. As they will think about what could I have done with $110. Maybe 2 PS4 games, a night out, meal for the whole week... etc.

Fast forward to today, at 440 a share, a 5% drop, or $22... which many novice retail investors would still think "what could I have done with $22"... well... not much.

So I think we should look the split from a sentiment perspective, at least partially, and then derive the fundamental value change to stock like TSLA.

Yeah, that's bad but the stories of brokerages not being able to reflect the true number of post-split shares in an account (because they couldn't get them in time) when the split happened a full week ago is what really seems whacky.

On another note, don't tell anyone, but we are up $275 today in pre-split dollars! Shhh....
That's the beauty of the split....everyone only 'sees' a +$55 gain

upload_2020-8-31_12-52-21.png

This is crazy I never dreamed I'd be up more than a Founder's Roadster on paper in one trading day! :D:cool:

I will be watching *very* carefully tomorrow at my TMC desk at 6 am PDT in case I decide to sell 10% of my position in a Roth tax-free. I've never sold or "swing traded" any TSLA before except to transfer into non-taxable Roth IRAs, but this is getting *really* frothy IMHO. I delayed lunch by an hour today just to witness the close.

Most of the newer Robinhood traders don't have our long term conviction and will probably sell at the drop of a hat when this party starts to end.

S&P 500 CAGR is 12.56% since 2014. We just did that in one day!

Last edited:
I've been reading a bit, and I think the general message of "stock split doesn't change anything" is fundamentally right, psychologically flawed.

The market is partly driven by sentiments, or dare I say largely... often you have news on companies that doesn't change anything fundamentally and yet stock would skyrocket/fall off the cliff.

The split, not only showing Tesla's confidence in the long run, but also adjust investors, especially retails, perceptions greatly.

Say the stock was 2200 last week, which for many could be a month worth of disposable income, drops 5%, or $110 in a day... that's a psychologically big number for some. As they will think about what could I have done with $110. Maybe 2 PS4 games, a night out, meal for the whole week... etc.

Fast forward to today, at 440 a share, a 5% drop, or $22... which many novice retail investors would still think "what could I have done with $22"... well... not much.

So I think we should look the split from a sentiment perspective, at least partially, and then derive the fundamental value change to stock like TSLA.

I can't help but wonder how many uninformed retail investors are viewing now-outdated YouTube and internet material with pre-split price targets, and getting excited about a ~$490 investment turning into $7k by 2025.