Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much this. Tesla doesn’t really need the cash, but it’s nice to have. Pretty obvious that the S&P knows that the index funds won’t be able to accumulate enough chairs at a stable price

They will likely start issuing these shares when SP starts going up too fast after the index funds begin buying. But it will probably only take the edge off it, as these 9 million shares are a drop in the bucket compared to the 130 million or so shares needed (based on the 26 million number that was calculated in this thread pre-split).

This is how Tesla describes the share dividend rollout in their latest SEC filling: (Sep 01)

Inline XBRL Viewer

"Stock Dividend Adjustments

"On August 10, 2020, the board of directors of Tesla declared a five-for-one forward split of its Common Stock in the form of a stock dividend to stockholders of record on August 21, 2020 (the “Stock Dividend”). The Stock Dividend was distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020, and trading began on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020. As of August 28, 2020, there were approximately 933,540,135 shares of Common Stock outstanding."​

Absent other sources, I'm not seeing a lot of nuance here. I have my shares, and I could sell all of them if I wanted to, as of Market Open yesterday, Aug 28th as Tesla describes.

The point is other beneficial owners DO NOT have their shares, and have only vague promises that they will receive them at an indeterminant future date.

Point to any other event in the past where this has happened during a stock dividend, then there may be useful context. Again, absent that, this is unprecented.

Tesla said "dividend to stockholders of record"
You just wrote: "beneficial owners DO NOT have their shares"

Two different things.

I believe you use RBC. Their transfer agents are
Main Agent:
ComputershareTrust Company of Canada
1500 Robert-Bourassa Blvd. Suite 700
Montreal, Quebec H3A 3S8 Canada
Tel: 1-866-586-7635 (Canada and the U.S.) or 514-982-7555 (International)
Fax: 514-982-7580 website: computershare.com/rbc

However, RBC also has
Co-Transfer Agent (U.S.):
ComputershareTrust Company, N.A.
250 Royall Street Canton, Massachusetts
02021 U.S.A.

My limited understanding is that Compu US needs to get the shares to Compu Canada who gets them to RBC. Transfer of dividends to foreign entities have extra steps and potential tax implications.

Edit: anecdotes for the sake of anecdotes:
ENB Dividends missed by RBC DI? : CanadianInvestor

1) announce stock split
2) induce a naked short squeeze
3) announce a capital raise the day after
4) make your current shareholders Teslionaires in the process
Indeed, and the ~10M odd shares in this Cap Raise feels more than vaguely like the number of phantom short shares that need to be located and purchased in the next 2 days.

The fact that it's being done as a 'distribution' at Market rates through the usual list of suspects is a dead giveaway. I expect all those shares are already spoken for.

Well played, Elon Zack and Hiro, well played. :D

That last is exactly why I find the "all delays caused by naked shorts" theory confusing. Whoever had a large stable of naked short shares must have known it, and had more than a week to tally up how many shares they were, uh, short, and buy them on the open market. Why wait until after the split takes effect and they can't distribute (the missing) shares properly? Wouldn't that just be drawing a big red arrow to themselves saying "hey everyone, WE have a naked short problem!" Why risk that exposure instead of just biting the bullet and buying however many shares were needed before the 31st, so everything looked smooth upon distribution and nobody investigated?

It seems like the naked short theory is alleging even greater incompetence than the "it was all caused by incompetence" theory.

What if they owed $5 Billion USD?

Gary Black likes the $5B chair sale news

Attachments

• A5FC535F-BC2D-4F09-90AD-F8BD4FBED3F0.jpeg
    A5FC535F-BC2D-4F09-90AD-F8BD4FBED3F0.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 80
Indeed, and the ~10M odd shares in this Cap Raise feels more than vaguely like the number of phantom short shares that need to be located and purchased in the next 2 days.

The fact that it's being done as a 'distribution' at Market rates through the usual list of suspects is a dead giveaway. I expect all those shares are already spoken for.

But isn't this throwing a bone at them as the squeeze would have continued on as they try to locate shares from a smaller and smaller float?

But isn't this throwing a bone at them as the squeeze would have continued on as they try to locate shares from a smaller and smaller float?

I don't think so, because historically TSLA has rocketed up after almost every cap raise announcement (after a slight delay for the news to be digested). I expect this will be the same.

Why would the board play their game? Why help them getting these shares since they were betting on a stock price drop? Why would a 1% dilution be for the current shareholder profits since Tesla will generate the cash flow anyway. I'm not sure I follow.

This is how Tesla describes the share dividend rollout in their latest SEC filling: (Sep 01)

Inline XBRL Viewer

"Stock Dividend Adjustments

"On August 10, 2020, the board of directors of Tesla declared a five-for-one forward split of its Common Stock in the form of a stock dividend to stockholders of record on August 21, 2020 (the “Stock Dividend”). The Stock Dividend was distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020, and trading began on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020. As of August 28, 2020, there were approximately 933,540,135 shares of Common Stock outstanding."​

Absent other sources, I'm not seeing a lot of nuance here. I have my shares, and I could sell all of them if I wanted to, as of Market Open yesterday, Aug 28th as Tesla describes.

The point is other beneficial owners DO NOT have their shares, and have only vague promises that they will receive them at an indeterminant future date.

Point to any other event in the past where this has happened during a stock dividend, then there may be useful context. Again, absent that, this is unprecented.

i agree that language creates confusion. but it was indeed not distributed by the issuer to DTCC and its street participants, yet
i agree about shenanigans, i just think some of the causes that have been identified are misconstrued a bit

for other examples - AAPL hasn't allocated yet either, and is expected to hit DTCC tomorrow as well.
most forward splits allocate on ex+2

• some brokers dont wait for the shares to be in their DTCC (or custodian acct, if not a direct dtcc participant) before adjusting their customer base, and some do
  • in other words there is often a difference between how the issuer allocates split proceeds to the street, and how individual broker, prime broker, bank, etc allocates split proceeds to its customer base

and brokers messed up AAPL too.
in fact, they mis-priced, mis-valued, and mis-reported unrealized PnL with tesla and aapl just as they do with just about every corp action (sans a cash div, but some even screw that up!), not just forward splits. i can pretty much guarantee that.
they are flat out sh!tty at processing, handling, and servicing corporate actions, and these last few days have proven it. even though IB was one of the best ones at reflecting the split in customer accounts in timely fashion, there was still a handful of bugs that resulted in less than stellar 'service' or customer experience.

but to me, there is no excuse for some of these other brokers to handle it in such poor way as to not have the correct value in the account...like thats just bad
_________
of course, the elephant in the room is, why is tesla behaving this way?
well, we're all obviously onto something here, even aapl's 25% run after split announcement is a bit extra...but teslas run? crazy. someone is buying, and its silly to suggest that its all robinhooders...thats insulting to us when some CNBC twit comes on and blames it on that, when looking at the notional value of the rise

and @Hock1 suggested we get into it more this weekend, which would be very good

cnbc this morning had a blurb about split and shorting - it didnt add much value as far as explaining this phenomenon
How Tesla's stock split has impacted investors shorting the stock

I don't really care too much about that. But tell me, how much have you aged this month? ;)

Be honest.

Unless you think my large Canadian Broker got special treatment from Tesla's Transfer Agent on Sat, Aug 29 when all my TSLA Dividend Shares were present and accounted for, but two other large Canadian Brokers have "still have not received their shares from the Transfer Agent"?

Have you even considered that they may be lying?

Be honest.

BTW, your innocence is adorable (but not helpful). Personally.

Word.

Not to fuel the fire, but Questrade had everything in order as of market open. Only thing that wasn’t was the daily gains calculations as it seems like valued for prior day were all out of whack. However, no need to call to place trades on shares or options. Everything right there and tradable and quoting Level 2 without a hitch.

I’m astonished that RBC, our largest institution by a huge margin, had any kind of delays. Especially as it seems like this wasn’t just an issue of Quebec infrastructure versus other provinces.

- Probably needed to make S&P inclusion possible
- A larger cushion for economic black swans
- More money for expansion (GFs, service centers, superchargers)
- For only just over 1% dillution

What's not to like about this move?
I'd like to add to that the majority of the names to act as sellers reads like a who's-who list of TSLA short sellers. There is a possibility that they still need help producing the shares for dividend delivery. This might be the final destination of some or many of those shares. JMO.

Credit to CNBC. They are not selling a short story on this raise. Indicating that many believe it could have been a bigger raise and including the fact that it would time with S&P inclusion if it is to happen.

Two years ago Tesla would be getting trashed on this news
I think the news outlets and tv analysts have learned not to doubt TSLA because they will inevitably look stupid soon thereafter

Credit to CNBC. They are not selling a short story on this raise. Indicating that many believe it could have been a bigger raise and including the fact that it would time with S&P inclusion if it is to happen.

Two years ago Tesla would be getting trashed on this news
Yeah not so much on Bloomberg right now...characterizing it as dodging the scrutiny of a typical secondary, sigh.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla price target raised to $290 from $170 at RBC Capital

Breaking News: TSLA latest news. - The Fly

'RBC Capital analyst Joseph Spak raised the firm's price target on Tesla to $290 from $170 but keeps an Underperform rating on the shares. The analyst acknowledges that the company transformed the industry in terms of its push toward electrification and vehicle architecture, also generating a consumer perception that it is a "superior vehicle", which may lead to market share gains and higher margins through premium pricing. Spak warns however that Tesla's "quality and service" of operation are "below average" and must be improved, while noting that he still sees the stock as "fundamentally overvalued".

I think we're going to be entering a Tesla analyst replacement supercycle.

Waiting for Gordo...

upload_2020-9-1_14-54-20.png