Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like another "controlled event." It is almost disheartening. Not the loss of paper money, but the feel of the MM's still in charge.

Agreed. Being back to the predictable slow walk downs is the frustrating part.

Edit: And to make things even worse, macros are absolutely killing it today. NASDAQ up 1.27%

Last edited:
Seems like another "controlled event." It is almost disheartening. Not the loss of paper money, but the feel of the MM's still in charge.

Controlled? What makes you say that? :rolleyes:

upload_2020-9-1_15-2-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-1_15-2-55.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-1_15-2-55.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 67
I found this to be very informative on the stock split, price action today, and the sentiment of the current market.

TLDR
1. Tesla didn't do a secondary offering because they feel the demand for their shares is high, therefore didn't want to give them away with a discount.

2. Support today at 472, didn't break through therefore still very bullish (472 is the mid point of yesterday's open and yesterday's close).

3. Fund managers are trading where volatility is meaning tech

4. After Tesla joins the S&P, might get pressure to become more of traditional car company (weird analysis but okay)

5. Tesla's valuation has a little bit of everything factored in, including other Musk's ventures like SpaceX

6. Tesla valuation is high, but who cares because everything is high due to no better alternative like in 2009 which fuels a bull run.

7. Tesla stock price will remain high after S&P. He thinks the market underestimate just how many people believes in the company vs speculators.

Thank you. I knew I had read that somewhere. And I'm not sure if indexes can be accused of insider trading when they don't trade. They just buy a set amount based on weighting in the index. Trying to prevent front running of that required buy is not insider trading but actually trying to protect indexed investors.

That said, if anyone else traded on that info, that would be insider trading.

EDIT: I see now I read that wrong then and again now. My apologies. I don't see how knowing 7 days in advance helps the indexes build the position if everyone finds out at the same time... Everyone fighting for shares simultaneously seems like the worst case scenario...

Last edited:
My understanding is that the S&P tells indexes who is going to be added a few days ahead of the public announcement to give the indexes a chance to buy to reduce front running. So for all we know, the indexes are buying right now and Tesla is selling right now.

Nope, that would be insider trading. They inform the company that's to be added in advance, but then the general announcement is to everyone at once, with the funds typically given several days to start accumulating prior to inclusion.

Reactions: kcveins