Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys. What's Tesla's mission statement?

"To advance the advent of sustainable transport."

The more affordable the cars, the faster this happens.
I'm just giving you the reason the stock is down by more than 7% pre-market. I would actually welcome the arrival of the SR Model 3 at $35'000 but these price cuts across the board leave a lot of room for interpretation re demand.

I have to admit if I was Elon, I would not have dropped the price. Sure, it means progress towards $35k, but surely right now a higher, more sustainable looking profit margin would be better? Use the extra cash to invest for the companies future. I'd be happy if they waited a month, or even a quarter before making the price reduction.
Why sell cars for less than the market is prepared to pay?

Because it is more than made up in the price drops of their battery production. Truth is Tesla has a long way to go in making their cars cheaply....just a fact. EVs can be made very cheaply when the infrastructure is finally built and fine tuned. There is a lot of margin sitting there for them to grab and they are beginning to do so.

Because he is hellbent to electrify the global fleet and cannot afford any hiccups or drops in demand in an attempt to maximize profits. Cash flow should be very good this quarter.

Keep the accelerator pedal mashed to the floor... We have to make up for lost time.

I have to admit if I was Elon, I would not have dropped the price. Sure, it means progress towards $35k, but surely right now a higher, more sustainable looking profit margin would be better? Use the extra cash to invest for the companies future. I'd be happy if they waited a month, or even a quarter before making the price reduction.
Why sell cars for less than the market is prepared to pay?

I guess a different way to look at this is as follows: we can now confidently assume that Tesla doesn't need Wall St. any longer. Which kinda sucks for us gamblers, but its great for Tesla. So they can focus entirely on headlines that aim at their primary mission: to advance sustainable transport.

- Look at the comments over at Electrek - they all love the price cut.
- Look at what the competition will say to that - heck if I was Jaguar / Audi I would be sweating now! These folks are not stupid so they know that Tesla is profitable now. And already NOW they start to cut prices! How can that be? I had many German engineers explain to me that they will not make electric cars since they can't be made profitably. If Tesla is profitable and able to cut costs - that should light a lot of fires under a lot of behinds...

It will all take a moment until these messages have their full effect. But if I was the competition, I would be (even more) scared now...

EDIT: Happy about Tesla, but in the meantime greedy me is disappointed with TSLA ;-)

Very strong production and deliveries report from Tesla.

This takes my Q4 forecasts to:
Revenue: +5.2% QoQ to $7,178m. Gross Profit: +11.4% QoQ to $1,697m Net Income: +50% QoQ to $382m.

The $2k price cut will be covered by production efficiencies, new module lines, economies of scale and price cuts from Panasonic. I think gross profit per MR and LR AWD is likely to increase in 1Q19 (over 4Q18) despite the price cuts.

Apparently the double secret forecast was 65,000 Model 3 deliveries which is supposedly an average of 9 analysts' estimates.

Tesla misses Wall Street estimates with 90,700 vehicle deliveries in fourth quarter, shares tumble

Can anyone cite one analyst which publicly estimated deliveries above 65,000?

I've not seen anything, this is total BS. And even if it was a "figure" then 63k is hardly much of a miss.

Actually, 63150 is higher than most of us here were guessing, no? And to be fair as a group (not me!!) we know more than anyone outside of Tesla.

Well more evidence for hyper-longs that demand is not unaffected by price. Tesla cars are indeed is price elastic. And that's normal and okay.

Just atip with the "Tesla is supply-limited" mmmkay?

When they can charge a price that earns 20% margins and still sell everyone they make, without leases, and only selling to half the global marketplace, yes, they're very much supply limited.

Doesn’t make sense. WS analysts didn’t predict this high and,
In fact, will be issuing likely price increases due to tsla knocking this out of the park. I’m buying both shares and options on this pullback. Thanks.

to this general sentiment popping up in many posts,

1) apparently this video has not been posted or watched nearly enough times (note Cramer’s summary of the recipe step 1. fabricate false narrative, 2. push it out into media and be sure to get it on CNBC 3. take a loss in premarket pushing share price down to foment the false impression of market unloading the stock due to false narrative in step 1. summary doesn’t due the impact and side doozies of the video justice, please consider watching it)

2) we may end up today

3) I just bought about half my trading share allowance all in one step.