Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unbelievable! The TSLAQ community (?) is tweeting that Elon had fake cranes placed at the site which are of no use at this stage of the construction. The Twitter user below collected these tweets and made fun of them - of course Mark Spiegel retweeted the originals. LOL.
The_Earl_of_FrunkPuppy (28delayslater) on Twitter
View attachment 367093
View attachment 367094

Luckily, TMC has sharp people like @KarenRei, who spotted that these are not actually cranes, and that instead foundation stabilisers are being driven into the soft ground.

Also, many thanks to new contributor @phnix, who earlier today explained about the need for such stabilisers at the site,
The land does need special foundation treatment because the soft dirt is hundreds of feet deep (like all other lands in Shanghai), but the treatment methods are mature and not very time consuming.

TMC (and the truth) is beating the shorts hands down.

Last edited:
Unbelievable! The TSLAQ community (?) is tweeting that Elon had fake cranes placed at the site which are of no use at this stage of the construction. The Twitter user below collected these tweets and made fun of them - of course Mark Spiegel retweeted the originals. LOL.
View attachment 367093
View attachment 367094
Those are pile drivers. Due to soil conditions at the site, piles need to driven, literally, before anything else can be done.

View attachment 367093
View attachment 367094
Too funny. These are not cranes. They are foundation pile drivers, essentially they bore straight down into the soil to rock bed to which the voids are filled with concrete that supports the weight of the floor. Effectively it is a floating concrete floor supported by the concrete pile foundations, since even the compacted soil is not sufficient to support the structure due to local site conditions. And yes, this is the first step of construction after grading of site and compaction. Carry on Tesla.

Edit: A couple of posters beat me to this already.

View attachment 367093
View attachment 367094

What I take from that: TSLAQ people are such dolts they don’t know what a crane is. I know a 4 year old who could teach them how to recognize one.

I find it interesting how he flatters the Chinese. While I am sure Musk thinks that stroking the egos of the Chinese powers that be will help to accelerate Tesla's growth in China, I see a strong contrast to his expressed opinion of certain US regulators, especially the SEC.

Thus far, the Chinese have not shown the type of animosity Tesla has received from US regulators, particularly the SEC.

Too funny. These are not cranes. They are foundation pile drivers, essentially they bore straight down into the soil to rock bed to which the voids are filled with concrete that supports the weight of the floor

I imagine that these are friction piles rather than than end bearing piles. Friction piles don't go down to bedrock; they rely on friction against the piling for stability.

But, I could be wrong.

By crack of dawn tomorrow, they will be going at it hammer and tong, as they say.....

With hammer thongs in their crack?
upload_2019-1-7_23-5-37.jpeg