Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thus far, the Chinese have not shown the type of animosity Tesla has received from US regulators, particularly the SEC.

Right. I do remember an interview with Elon Musk from the earliest days of Tesla, where he said that the USA was the best country in the world to start a business. While this may very well still be true, I guess Musk now has some qualifiers to add to that. Like, the best as long as no really influential industries are being disrupted...

I imagine that these are friction piles rather than than end bearing piles. Friction piles don't go down to bedrock; they rely on friction against the piling for stability.

But, I could be wrong.

Seeing as how the bedrock is over 200 meters below ground level (more like 300m), I don't think you are wrong...

Seeing as how the bedrock is over 200 meters below ground level (more like 300m), I don't think you are wrong...

If the area is subject to earth quakes which I don't know, soil liquifaction might become an issue. In the SF financial district they drive to bed rock because of this risk since the area is built on fill.

Soil liquefaction - Wikipedia

Tomorrow ARK Invest will conduct its monthly webinar beginning at 13:30 EST. TSLA is the top holding by ARK. CEO Cathie Wood normally leads the webinar before turning over to her staff. TSLA is almost always discussed either within the main presentations or during the Q&A session.

GoToWebinar Launcher

Nice, though I don't think her comments usually had a lot of weight in regards to the SP ? No ? Genuinely curious

I find it interesting how he flatters the Chinese. While I am sure Musk thinks that stroking the egos of the Chinese powers that be will help to accelerate Tesla's growth in China, I see a strong contrast to his expressed opinion of certain US regulators, especially the SEC.

If they were financing a factory for me, I would flatter them too.

If the area is subject to earth quakes which I don't know, soil liquifaction might become an issue. In the SF financial district they drive to bed rock because of this risk since the area is built on fill.

Sure, liquefaction is a concern, but SF's bedrock is less than 100 meters down. Other options are used, Salesforce Tower (tallest skyscraper in 2015) didn't go to bedrock, it got its own fake rock instead: It Took 18 Hours to Pour the Foundation for San Francisco's Tallest Skyscraper
Other buildings are also not bedrocked (with various results) Millennium Tower: We were never ‘expected, advised, or required’ to drill into bedrock

There is an earthquake risk, but it's lower than China's other major metro hubs - not an extreme risk. Shanghai's biggest problems are flooding (it's considered the highest flood-risk major city on Earth). It's also in a typhoon zone.

Actually good Bloomberg article:

Tesla’s Life After Hell: 7 Charts Show Musk on Firmer Footing

Also, key section:

"All analysts surveyed by Bloomberg now predict that Tesla will turn a profit in the fourth quarter, with an average estimate of $206 million on a GAAP basis. That’s a major reversal from April, when analysts’ consensus was for a fourth-quarter loss of about $234 million. The change in expectations for Tesla’s 2019 free cash flow are even more stark, flipping to about $837 million from negative $795 million as of early May. "

We now have our numbers. Don't let FactSet BS anyone this time.

You can see the rope/string that pulled it over.

I couldn't, but the 'collision' is entirely non-physical. Since the mass of the Tesla is many times that of the robot, the collision should instantaneously accelerate the robot to the speed of the Tesla, so basically throw it off the road. In order for the Tesla to cause it to slowly tip over as is it seen to do, the robot would have to be very poorly balanced and then receive the smallest nudge from the passing car.

A pathetic prank in other words.

What they could have done is to run the cord from the robot into the trees, loop it around a tree and then across the road.

Then when the Tesla drives into the cord, it would jerk the robot off the road (and break the cord).

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Looking at the video and the way it's reported by the Chinese, my take is this- GF3 is not just about TSLA.
It will be used by the Chinese as a showcase for their capabilities. After all, GF3 is the biggest foreign project from this kind in the area.
The probability of GF3 being build faster than stated today is quite big imho.
I like this theory and hope you're right!
If they were financing a factory for me, I would flatter them too.
Same. Imagine what a relief and a victory this whole Chinese factory thing is for Elon though. I bet his praise here is heartfelt.

I like this theory and hope you're right!

Same. Imagine what a relief and a victory this whole Chinese factory thing is for Elon though. I bet his praise here is heartfelt.

It's actually a brilliant piece of PR on the part of Shanghai. Because it's Tesla they're dealing with - one of the most controversial story-stocks on Earth - the entire business world will be watching to see how this turns out.