Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-1-10_0-19-26.png

Bloomberg already posted an article today about how difficult it is to road trip in a Tesla in Europe
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

This is a hit-piece. Road-tripping with a Tesla is super-easy in Europe, I know, I do it with my family.

The article doesn't state which battery the car has and the primary complaint about the first Supercharge is that it's next to a Burger King and not a fancy hotel. She then says it takes 80 minutes to charge enough to destination, which I find a bit much, I rarely charge for more than 40 minutes and I have a XP100D, which eats electrons more than the rest, especially with my heavy right foot and fast speeds in Germany.

The primary issue she has is trying to charge on the non-Tesla networks. This is indeed a disaster, but she spends no effort in pointing-out that as a Tesla owner, you'd rarely use these facilities, only in a pinch.

Very poor "reporting" indeed.

Elon Musk on Twitter

The 75 kWh version of the S and X is getting discontinued. I’m guessing 100 will become the new standard and we will see an even bigger battery pack, switch to 2170s and V3 supercharging capability.

My guess is that battery costs have taken a step-change lower and we'll see price reductions on the S & X. The 75D is discontinued because it would eat into Model 3 territory.

WAG, of course.

We should also remember the recent 'Fred Tax' on Tesla: the -$5k per Model 3 Performance retroactive price cuts that his whining caused - that's an expense that is going to burden Q4'18 and Q1'19 profits.
I'm surprised, that you can see it that way.

If one blogger can cause that, I don't think that it is the bloggers fault..If company has its act together, it would not make big decissions based on some bloggers opinion.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and jbih
What? Which S has 215 miles max range? S60 which was discontinued many years ago? You know instantly this is a hit piece.

Furthermore, note the between Paris and Mannheim, there is excellent Supercharger support, the drive between each is 145-160km - if I were driving that route, I'd stop at each one for roughly 15 minutes. Stretch my legs, have a pee, relax, love it!

upload_2019-1-10_10-23-16.png

Did anyone see this yet?

Young Kelvin Yang is at it again, digging up interesting information on Tesla's dealings in China.

Like for GF1, Tesla was apparently shopping for locations in China with a losing city having offered a 3 G$ low-interest loan, indicating that Shanghai's terms must be even better,
Kelvin Yang on Twitter

On my request he dug up something akin to a reference (from a Chinese social media site):
特斯拉在上海合资建厂,会带来哪些影响? - 知乎

I would not be surprised if a more firm confirmation would surface.

Here's the Google translated anonymous comment:

作者:匿名用户
链接:特斯拉在上海合资建厂,会带来哪些影响? - 知乎
来源:知乎
著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

Interests, anonymity, may be wrong.

Tesla entered China and adopted the same method as in the United States. He signed a letter of intent and put out smoke bombs everywhere, so that the governments of Guangdong and Shanghai would provide preferential policies to attract them to the bottom of the line in order to seize resources and information is not equal. investment.

Well, in the end, Tesla Fang went to the door and told him that he chose Shanghai. At that moment, the mood was really five flavors.

As a party to the project battalion team responsible for the financing plan, the government's plan for Tesla is almost the best I have ever seen. Tesla and the government background company joint venture, technology shares and 100% management and control, water The electricity is separately priced, the personal and company tax is greatly reduced. The government provides the dormitory and surrounding facilities. The bank issues a 20 billion commitment letter. During the negotiations, Tesla asked the Chinese bank to provide low-interest loans, pure credit, no guarantee mortgage, and long term. And need to have a longer exemption period, etc...

In order to compete for it, the entire local government and related departments have spent countless energies. It took two years to watch it, and finally it was proposed to be sole proprietorship, huh, huh... What do you think of Honda Toyota?

I don't know what will happen after it enters the Chinese market. I only hope that our country will be prosperous and stable. More and more companies can stand at the top of the industry. When they invest overseas, they can also attract investment like Tesla. The party has fun to turn around.​

Notes:
  • The two leading bids were Shanghai and Guangdong.
  • Comment written by someone who claims to have been on Guangdong's negotiation team.
  • I.e. the conditions described were the losing Guangdong bid. The Shanghai bid must have been even better. (!)
  • 20 billion Yuan no collateral loan is 2.94 billion dollars - bank commitment issued in advance (!).
Guangdong literally bent over backwards bidding for the Gigafactory contract and lost.

If true: WOW!

Or perhaps a full trade war with China.

(Actually, I think the motivations in China mean we're never going to get a *full* trade war; they still want Tesla to manufacture there, for example, and they still want to buy up US companies, and...)
I think that was just C'alien's subtle barb at OI's unsubtle pronouncification of that very country's name. :)

-All 18650 supply will instead be redirected toward Supercharger V3 storage, Tesla energy, as well as Megacharger/solar storage applications. Makes sense IMHO for the lower energy density cells to be used in stationary applications, I’d think. 18650 packs will be located onsite at Superchargers and charged off the grid to support higher, sustained charging for multiple Supercharger stalls at once. V3 power rate (for a Supercharger station as a whole) will exceed the capabilities of the local grid, and will enable (for example) a virtually infinite number of stalls to charge at the 150kW-180kW rate, and sustained up to what the car’s pack can handle. So you and your Supercharger neighbor can both plug in at the same time and charge at 180kW until the pack is at 70% SOC for example.

Alternatively, the Model S/X continues to be available with 18650-based 100 kWh packs (which I believe has higher profit margin than the creation of a new variant of a stationary storage pack) - with higher capacity 2170-based packs available as a new option.

I feel it is unlikely that Tesla will only offer Model S/X in a single (100 kWh) version in the near future.

And since Model S already has been offered with 85 kWh and 90 kWh packs, I consider it more likely that they will come out with a higher capacity pack - also to clearly distinguish their top-of-line models from the cheaper Model 3.

So I give it some probability that the 75 kWh versions will be replaced by 100+ kWh ones.

If that indeed happens and these new packs are based on a derived 2170-pack, then one limiting factor in Tesla's annual 100k production of Model S/X is gone.

That is potentially big news.

OK, since both the US and EU markets are closed, I will explain it to you:

Tesla's CEO already managed to involve himself in what is effectively state-level diplomatic intercourse (that's when one of the top guys in the world's most popular country publicly tells you: "We hope that your company can become an in-depth participant of China's opening and a promotor of the stability of US-China relations").

So I would be delusional if I thought that my comment on that and on the destabilizing, delusional and allegedly criminally stupid POTUS on social media would have even the slightest, additional impact on Tesla.

I do however concede that with the POTUS's narcisistic need for attention, Musk may very well have made himself an enemy of the POTUS by so blatantly stealing the limelight exactly during the time when the White House is trying to untangle itself from the mess it got itself into with China.

Shortsville Times:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has intercourse with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang

OT

Have you paid attention to the NIMBY resistance to cables at the base of Lake Champlain? To underground pipelines? There will ALWAYS be NIMBY resistance, to ANYTHING.

I would be interested to know if that is how the rules work in Germany. Here in the US, property owners often own their property "to the center of the Earth", and yeah, they WILL complain...

It's a good technological solution. Just, y'know, there are more NIMBYs than you imagine.

In Germany mineral and water rights are separate from land ownership - and there's this exception to building below and above:

'Der Grundeigentümer kann, so das BGB, "Einwirkungen nicht verbieten, die in solcher Höhe oder Tiefe vorgenommen werden, dass er an der Ausschließung kein Interesse hat".'

The landowner can not, according to the Civil Code, "prohibit actions that are made in such height or depth that he has no interest in the exclusion."​

Boring 20m deep is already difficult to detect from the surface, even with seismographs. Boring 200m deep should be far away from any legitimate interests and objections recognized by the courts.

Since there's no clear legal standard I'm aware of, of course it would be litigated. Germany is 2-3x more litigious than the U.S., IIRC. :D

Last edited:
Furthermore, note the between Paris and Mannheim, there is excellent Supercharger support, the drive between each is 145-160km - if I were driving that route, I'd stop at each one for roughly 15 minutes. Stretch my legs, have a pee, relax, love it!

View attachment 367782
Maybe the hit-robot Blooming site was unaware of this exquisite service: A Better Routeplanner
It supports many different EVs and computes consumption according to topography, speed preference etc.
Highly recommended!

I am concerned by the Trump, I would hate to see it spun by there administration that Musk is jumping in to bed with China and neglecting US workforce,( not my opinion but I can see shorts speculating this idea)

OT....

Can any one reccomend a trading platform, the one in currently using isnt as good as some of the screen shots I see on here.

Much appreciated