Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crew member reported, that Glovis Captain has on board approx 2000 Model 3-s
Per shorts, half of them could be dumped at sea under the cover of night, because Tesla can't sell them. So, has to be destination counting.
Really, shorts should be the ones doing the counting, but there's much interest in tracking things in this thread as well.

Market Musings -

I see on Bloomberg that John Bogle, founder* of Vanguard, has died at age 89.

Dad had much respect for John and his successful efforts in bringing fees for retail investors down from the ridiculous levels of the 1950s and early 60s, although in his imperturbable way he still considered Bogle a young sprout.

*founder in the same way that Mr Musk is a founder of Tesla.

Can someone have access set the fact straight about this T Rowe holdings thing?
A top TSLA tweet claim they dumped ~46% of there TSLA holding in Q4:
People's Grain on Twitter

I tried to pull data from TRow homepage, but this data is not available, or I just cant't find were to look. But this might be fake, yesterday was some fake lawsuit buzz on twitter. We have to wait for SEC filling then we will know for sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: sundaymorning
Glovis Cosmos just docked at Pier 80, right where the Glovis Captain had docked:

upload_2019-1-16_23-53-30.png

Next questions:

* Where is she going next?
* How many Model 3s will she be taking with her? ;)

Looks like she'll be taking off about a week after the Glovis Captain. Really, we want to see faster turnaround time than this. And of course more than 2k cars per ship ;)

Glovis Cosmos just docked at Pier 80, right where the Glovis Captain had docked:

View attachment 369385

Next questions:

Looks like she'll be taking off about a week after the Glovis Captain. Really, we want to see faster turnaround time than this. And of course more than 2k cars per ship ;)

Anyone knows destination port for Tesla in China?

Market Musings -

I see on Bloomberg that John Bogle, founder* of Vanguard, has died at age 89.

Dad had much respect for John and his successful efforts in bringing fees for retail investors down from the ridiculous levels of the 1950s and early 60s, although in his imperturbable way he still considered Bogle a young sprout.

*founder in the same way that Mr Musk is a founder of Tesla.

Big fan of Vanguard. Sad to hear the news.

Ford confirms all-electric F-Series pickup truck coming

This could potentially be big news.

If they plan for 100k plus unit capacity.

If they plan to sell a handful of units to Ranchers in Santa Barbara Country then not so much.
This is an interesting development, because now those pickup owners who block Tesla chargers won't be able to say that gas guzzlers are all-American and Tesla is not, because green technologies are for liberals. You can always point out that Ford declared their F-150s to be dinosaurs and planning to build a better ones - electric.

Social media in this regard is a double edged sword for Tesla. Sure it gets you lots of notoriety but when one of these "YouTube Stars" has a problem they'll act like everbody else (the world is ending! :eek:) with far more influence on public perception.

Tesla is growing at a rate that is going to result in a lot of phone calls. Hundreds of thousands of phone calls IMO.

Service is difficult. Great service is really difficult. Nobody wants to spend resources on service. Tesla is trying some things like the phone app to request service which is good but that is not really the low hanging fruit.

First, answer the phone. It is a small thing but just answer the phone with a human who knows how to listen and take some notes. That person needs to be fresh and real and respected within the company. Never voicemail and no answer trees. Dial the number - someone answers - BINGO! Very very hard to do it turns out and can be expensive.

Second, call the customer back within 20 minutes to confirm you got the message and set a level of expectation as to what it going to happen even if it is a disappointment. Then let the customer vent a bit if needed. You must do this touch-back within 20 minutes or you miss out on an opportunity to delight your customer with only a call. This call back can be done by the tech or someone else but the 20 minutes is important. After 20 minutes some kind of human weirdness appears called disappointment. Call back in 2 hours and you are already in a hole of your own digging. The rest may not be so delightful but if you get this one thing right, most customers will work through a lot with you.

Third, do what you said you were going to do and if you miss your target you must do number 2 again.

If this is done graciously and respectfully with your customers, a lot can be forgiven with only a telephone as a tool. First be an expert with the telephone and then learn how to get the problems solved - the easy part - because the customers will be willing to help you delight them and give them a story to tell about the car they love and how they made a great decision in buying it.

Companies will spend big bucks developing customer relations but for whatever reason, nobody wants to answer the complaint/service line. What a missed opportunity. Here is a customer who wants to talk to you so much they are spending their own time and energy to call you. Try to pick up the phone and appreciate how lucky you are.

This is not a Tesla problem at all. It often seems to be an everybody problem<grin>.

I did this stuff. It is demanding work and sometimes little appreciated but developing great customer service really helps a lean company have some breathing room. It will be interesting to see how this is addressed as the installed base is growing so fast and international as well so around the clock and multi-language challenges.

Why would I want a company to call me back in 20 minutes to rehash the first phone call? That would annoy me. Call me back when you have an update.

The call back is after the customer leaves a voicemail. Given that Tesla frequently lets VMs and emails languish for days/weeks/months, 20 minute confirmation of receipt would be a marked improvement.

Ford confirms all-electric F-Series pickup truck coming

This could potentially be big news.

If they plan for 100k plus unit capacity.

If they plan to sell a handful of units to Ranchers in Santa Barbara Country then not so much.
I have 2 pick up trucks as I need them for work. Electric is a huge threat in this segment as I would gladly switch if it had range and tow capacity. (Like I need 400 miles while towing a boat). Main reason is gas is a huge expense in a truck when towing (average like 11 mpg when towing). All of Texas and midwest (I'm in northern midwest) will switch on a dime if they have the right combination of range and towing capacity.

Reactions: GaryW and gene
For the few that were discussing the calls and puts.... I appear to have caused some confusion when I joked that with my luck, the SP will be below my 320 SP at expiration for the Puts I sold.
No, the confusion was because you wrote just below 320 at expiration and implied that would be bad luck, when in fact it's absolutely the best you can hope for. You would get almost the maximum possible from the trade with no better strike price possible. It's like selling stock within a couple of cents of the high.

I'll illustrate with an open trade of mine that I've mentioned before, meant to generate enough profit to buy a new Roadster in 2020. These 35 Jan '20 470 puts that I sold are currently valued at $144.95 (midpoint of the bid/ask). Since TSLA closed today at $346.05, that means that these way in the money puts have $123.95 in intrinsic value and $21 in time value. Since I sold them almost a year ago (2/15/18) for $171 when TSLA was at 323, they have gone down by $23.05 in intrinsic value and $3 in time value, so I could buy them back for $26.05 less than I sold them for, putting me ahead by about $91K at the moment.

For those wondering about the danger of being forced to buy the stock for $470 today, note that anybody exercising the put would be giving up $21 in time value, a total gift to me. I could sell the 3500 shares tomorrow for about $346. Along with the $171 I got for the puts originally, that would total $517 compared to the $470 I'm forced to buy them for, a $47 profit (compared to my $26.05 profit currently if I close the position by buying back the puts), a windfall!

Meanwhile, looking ahead to the expiration day a year in the future, the time value will go to 0, so I will be getting another $21 in profit. So if TSLA is anywhere above $324 ($21 less than today), I'll profit compared to closing the position today. My breakeven point is at TSLA $299, which was defined the moment I opened the position. My maximum profit point is TSLA anywhere over $470, so the puts expire worthless. But if it expires with TSLA just below $470 that's only slightly less than maximum profit, since I close the position for a few cents just before expiry. That's really good luck!

But not all maximum profit situations are identical. If TSLA is at 500 when this position expires, then if I want to take my profits and buy shares I'll have to pay $500 for them. And it just gets worse the higher TSLA goes. On the other hand, if I have no intention of reinvesting the money and will actually just go buy a Roadster with the ~$600K in profits, then anything over 470 is functionally identical. Here in California I'll end up paying >50% in taxes since such gains are treated as short term at the federal level and as regular income in CA, so if I actually do make all that money I expect it will barely cover a Roadster (and certainly not the SpaceX option!).

And of course if TSLA closes at $299 at expiration, I'll have ended up making nothing at all. And if it's below that then I'll lose money. And meanwhile, the trade is tying up a fair amount of cash collateral so I can't be making other trades. Like all other strategies, there's no free lunch. But I do love watching time value erode in my favor, unlike with buying calls. While I have no real knowledge of what TSLA will do in the next year, I'm quite certain time will pass.

View attachment 369385

Next questions:

Glovis Cosmos to also going to Europe. It would be weird to use a vessel optimized to pass the Panama canal for shipping cars to China.

Why ship more than 2k per week unless they can't sell the other 4-5k in North America? Especially since the Supercharger infrastructure isn't ready in Europe yet. (Though maybe it will be by the time the ships arrive.)

Tesla is reported to be planning 3k/wk to Europe. And it's not just Europe - they're also supposed to be exporting to China, also thousands per week.

Why ship more than 2k per week unless they can't sell the other 4-5k in North America? Especially since the Supercharger infrastructure isn't ready in Europe yet. (Though maybe it will be by the time the ships arrive.)

Some one had mentioned in earlier posting that due to the shipping duration, it is best to deliver to Europe and China earlier in q1 and deliver locally later in q1.