Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no - not that alt-right guy !

If PewDiePie is alt-right, he is hiding it pretty well from his young, liberal audience.

There were various controversies he was involved in, which were either slip-ups of his real political views, racism and bigotry, or genuine lapses of judgement. The alt-right also (predictably) tries to claim him - and he is distancing himself from them.

The content he is posting is creative, positive and highly influential.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
So one detail I find interesting is that Elon really under-sold the 75D removal: it was done on very short notice and was removed unceremoniously.

If they really wanted to, they could have created a lot of 75D sales by saying: "we will not be selling this small Model S/X ever again, we are shifting our product palette up". There were even rumors that the 75 kWh battery pack will remain but will only be renamed - and Tesla could have addressed those rumors by making it really unambiguous that it's going away.

Instead they announced it in a minimal fashion, almost as if they didn't want an inrush of new 75D orders, fully aware of the fact that the 75D variants make up 50%+ of the sales.

This supports @KarenRei's point that this is done to improve margins even at the expense of sales. My guess is that they have a number of new features lined up to increase demand again:
  • Faster charging speeds on SuperCharger v3. It's much overdue now, and I believe the recent price increase was part of the SuperCharger v3 plan. 100D and 100DP packs can probably make use of the full SuperCharger v3 speeds.
  • New HW3 modules installed in all newly made cars starting on April 1.
  • Possible FSD features switched on this year.
  • The rumored Model S/X interior refresh - which should further streamline manufacturing and increase margins.
  • Possible use of the more efficient (?) Model 3 power train in the Model S/X.
I'm wondering whether Tesla is playing the Intel Extreme CPUs game: make sure they are the fastest in town, and charge a steep premium for it. But don't over-do it and be much faster - only 10-20% better than the competition to milk 'premium products' sales.
I was wondering if they would:

Switch a production line to Model 3 using existing workers and robots.

Redesign the internals of the S/X to accept 2170, saving cell cost and shipping, while increasing pack density.

This would allow for greater production of M3 (including the base car?) and either more profit, or price reduction of S and X?

Yeah, nevertheless:

If PewDiePie is alt-right, he is hiding it pretty well from his young, liberal audience.

There were various controversies he was involved in, which were either slip-ups of his real political views, racism and bigotry, or genuine lapses of judgement. The alt-right also (predictably) tries to claim him - and he is distancing himself from them.

The content he is posting is creative, positive and highly influential.

I was wondering if they would:

Switch a production line to Model 3 using existing workers and robots.

Redesign the internals of the S/X to accept 2170, saving cell cost and shipping, while increasing pack density.

This would allow for greater production of M3 (including the base car?) and either more profit, or price reduction of S and X?

That makes sense to me. As of now I do not know where they bring the 3s from to satisfy the demand for Europe and China.

Its hard to imagine that the demand in the US is all of the sudden and with no real reason reduced by 50%. Even if they worked though the backlog we have more variances in the US and the car is and will continue to be very popular.

And even if, we would talk about just 3k units and if its true what we heard then they plan to ship 3k alone to Europe. So what's about China? Whats about is true that in the last 7 days 10k 3s got the German bafa incentive alone.

Numbers do not match up for me...

From what I can tell, there were also a lot of FUDs about him from the "traditional media". He is branding all the youtubers and instagram influencer as the new media and that the traditional media find ways to discredit them as a group.Their conflicts come from the traditional media losing ads revenue to this new generation.

The claim that he is anti-Semitic are mostly quotes and jokes taken out of context. I've actually seen his videos reviewing books like Crime and Punishment, Brave New World and he came off as a genuine and a smart person to me.

An interesting note: One of those traditional media include WSJ.

Market action:
But ehh...If Elon Musk do host a "meme review" with him I can already see how all these "traditional media" gonna be branding him as friends of anti-Semites.

My take on the 75 being cut is that they are ramping up Model 3 production hard to compensate for this cut (which is why SX employees were let go). Reasons for the 75 being cut might be becuase Panasonic decided to sell the old battery equipment and form factor to Toyota. Panasonic did this becuase they realize the SX is likely approaching the end of its life cycle before Tesla refreshes the SX with the new batteries. This of course did not happen out of the blue, but instead Elon and Pana are likley in close communication about this phase out and Pana likely got the nod from Elon to gut the old batteries and throw Toyota a bone. I believe the increase of Model 3 production coincides well with shipments going to Europe and China, going from 5k to 6k then later 7k a week... this increase will likely more than compensate for the lost of 75kkwh car. This is likely the “efficiency” that Tesla said it has achieved, it is efficiencies in the model 3 production and not Model SX battery production that some here are speculating.

With the refresh likely coming, Tesla might have a very nice pile of old batteries lying around to build solely for the high end performance versions. Tesla might have enough batteries for the SX to carry through the next 2-3 quarters before it introduces the new refresh of S&X, which will then blow the Porsche specs out of the waters by a wide margin. EV competitors better pray my prediction isn’t true, because if it is, you will be looking at a monster increase in SX performance as well as interior/exterior design very soon.

Talking about efficiency: $500 for driving 25,000 miles.
I've said this before, but the American + Chinese market is about half of the world's auto sales. German market is about 1/5th the size of the US market

29m China
17m USA

3.8m Germany

I think the only important point to remember here is: Germany has a relatively high ASP for cars $35K - so a MR/LR M3 is well within the reach of many buyers. (US is also high at $34K).
Add to that the fact that despite politics, many Germany are very environmentally minded (as well as fiscally prudent), and the desire for environmentally friendly transportation solutions here is very high. The anger against the Dieselgate Automakers is palpable - I know many people that refuse to buy VW etc, and also Diesel going forward. The WLPT test cycle has caused havoc. Real consumption data is making sales difficult....
So, while Tesla might find continued pressure here due to "Auto-Patriotism", EV as a whole should have a rosy future.

The claim that he is anti-Semitic are mostly quotes and jokes taken out of context.

Yeah, I agree mostly, except the live gaming incident last year, where he used the N-word on his opponent in anger.

That's not something you "accidentally" blurt out as a white guy...

Anyway, his shows/videos are definitely a positive force.

That makes sense to me. As of now I do not know where they bring the 3s from to satisfy the demand for Europe and China.

Its hard to imagine that the demand in the US is all of the sudden and with no real reason reduced by 50%. Even if they worked though the backlog we have more variances in the US and the car is and will continue to be very popular.

And even if, we would talk about just 3k units and if its true what we heard then they plan to ship 3k alone to Europe. So what's about China? Whats about is true that in the last 7 days 10k 3s got the German bafa incentive alone.

Numbers do not match up for me...

"X" % increase in Model 3 production from the previously X line.

Cheaper cells due to increased 2170 volume (S/X?)

50%+ of M3 production to Europe. (FUD's move back to "Tesla can't produce enough" narrative)

Some (all models) to China (possibly with dispensation of tarrifs due to the factory being in construction??)

Increased M3 numbers allow a few "base" cars to be produced sooner than expected.

(btw, expect either silence, or "Ah but" arguments from the FUDmuppets who proclaimed "Jaguar spanked Tesla in Norway" last month?)

The Toyota Panasonic deal is for prismatic (pouch) cells, not 18650.
I'm sure the factory would be suitable for conversion, although panaPanas may keep it for static storage production(?).

I think it's more likely that tTyota has made some progress in solid state and are looking for a stable partner, with expertise in pouch cell production, to finalise industrial scaling.
Note the Panasonic statement re production increase (80% in China)

We know it’s not a profit blowout. It could still be a revenue blowout, with lots of cash burn going towards growth.

Revenue blowout is very unlikely at this stage - we should be happy if Q4 revenue is marginally higher than Q3 revenue. (If Q4 revenue is lower then every single media outlet will run with the story of Tesla sales collapsing, followed by a recap of S/X production being cut in half.)

Revenue blowout is unlikely due to the ASP reduction - and it goes hand in hand with profit reduction.

Best we can hope for Q4 is robust cash generation, but even that is not certain.

Note that Wall Street revenue expectations of $7.1b are possibly already a bit high. Q3 was $6.8b and Galileo projected $6.7b for Q4. The lowest Wall Street estimate is $6.0b.

So let's not get our Q4 revenue expectations get too high.

Not advice.

Reasons for the 75 being cut might be becuase Panasonic decided to sell the old battery equipment and form factor to Toyota.

Toyota uses pouch cells like all legacy OEMs.

Why would they buy this old equipment to make 18650 cells?

Several startups are using 18650 or 2170/20700.

It seems legacy OEMs are against using cylindrical cells because it is a tacit admission Tesla is the leader.

Toyota uses pouch cells like all legacy OEMs.

Why would they buy this old equipment to make 18650 cells?

Several startups are using 18650 or 2170/20700.

It seems legacy OEMs are against using cylindrical cells because it is a tacit admission Tesla is the leader.

I agree, although it's possible that the reason OEMs favour pouch cells is a belief that solid state cells will use that format, making transition simple?
This may explain the Toyota/Panasonic venture?

I think it's more likely that tTyota has made some progress in solid state and are looking for a stable partner, with expertise in pouch cell production, to finalise industrial scaling.

I doubt any major company is 5+ years ahead of any other with regards to solid state.

Battery scientist move around and talk to each other. No one is that far ahead without word leaking out.

Toyota said in 2018 they are about 5 years away from commercialization of solid state batteries.If they give an update this year I am willing to bet they say they will likely start production in 2024. And next year in 2025.

I agree, although it's possible that the reason OEMs favour pouch cells is a belief that solid state cells will use that format, making transition simple?
This may explain the Toyota/Panasonic venture?

No,OEMs favor pouch cells because they are run by mechanical engineers.

Mechanical engineers have a bias toward the least number of parts.

They see 250 pouch cells or 7000 cylinder cells, they will choose the 250 part option.

Lowering the number of parts in a car has been key to cost reductions.

But they did say they expect the venture to yield production sufficient for 1 million EV's.
That's a large commitment for a company that has previously been an advocate of the "fool cell"?
It seems to fit that if they had an embryonic product, 9-12 months conversion and test production, another 9- 12 months field testing in vehicles, puts us at early 2021... Ready for a vehicle launch?
Then ramp battery production to suit?

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Possible, but if they *know* a next generation product is coming, the battery OEMs would be reluctant to build in one format, only to rip out the facilities after 5 (?) years.
If they can produce a 90% product, allow their customers to bring vehicles to market, then transition quickly and cheaply....?
The mediocre performance of some vehicles seems to back this up?
Surely those producers would demand the best performance (currently clyindrical?)... Unless they were promised a much better product that hasn't arrived in time?
What we're seeing seems to fit with the scenario of an earlier than expected jump to solid state.
Maybe.... Time will tell.