Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, and Audi is lying about what Tesla's manufacturer specs for the recharge time are, to boot:

Here is what they say they are using: "Tesla Model X 100D estimated range based on manufacturer’s data with 100 kWh battery using 120 kW DC charger (“Tesla Supercharger”). Calculated value based on manufacturer’s stated battery charge time of 0-50% in 30 minutes."

I'm not sure where Tesla says 0-50% in 30 minutes.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Yeah, the number one thing you hear from people who sit in a Model 3 for the first time (including from me) is "It's a lot bigger than I expected inside!". They did a superb job with packaging it. Including vs. most other EVs. If it were any bigger inside I'd start to suspect that there were some sort of TARDIS thing going on ;)

Re user 'adaptabl's' disagree with humbaba's post: how can you disagree with that? ED: Just browsed adaptabl's history; he's apparently a consistent FUD poster. Adaptabl, have you ever been inside a Model 3? I seriously doubt it.

One thing I suggest for those new to model 3. You have much more headroom than you are used to because of the glass roof. You can raise the seat higher than usual and get a better view of traffic. I lower the seat with easy entry, obviously, to make it easy to get in and out.

People buying in China are not necessarily buying it to drive, but to be driven in. Think chauffeur. So having a roomy and comfortable back seat is important. I think the model Y will be a huge hit here. When I was in China on business I was normally driven in a CUV style vehicle.

FSD will allow them to be driven and presumably be cheaper than a chauffeur even in China, so preferences could possibly change.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Here is what they say they are using: "Tesla Model X 100D estimated range based on manufacturer’s data with 100 kWh battery using 120 kW DC charger (“Tesla Supercharger”). Calculated value based on manufacturer’s stated battery charge time of 0-50% in 30 minutes."

I'm not sure where Tesla says 0-50% in 30 minutes.

I don't know where they got that. Because you literally go to the Tesla website, click on the Model X, scroll down and you see what I posted as a screenshot.

For Wall Street investment banks, getting Tesla's loan deal or not is really not that important. The overall profit from those deals is tiny. The loaner gets a few percent, the broker gets less than 1%. From this point of view, the investment banks don't care if Tesla becomes self sustained.

On the other hand, when a bank holds 500 million dollars of Put position, and if them manage to bankrupt the company, they could gain 5~20 billion dollars. I think that's why some of the investment banks hate Tesla so much (UBS? GS?).

Today 70,000 Puts reached a value of zero. It feels great.

Who owned them?

I don't know where they got that. Because you literally go to the Tesla website, click on the Model X, scroll down and you see what I posted as a screenshot.

Only thing I can think of is if you took the Model X 75D, you’d get roughly to that figure. Even just pretending they were right about the 50% in 30 minutes would get you 147.5 miles, not 144.5

EDIT: got it. Not sure where they found the 50% in 30 minutes claim(probably mentioned as an offhand estimate at some point?), but, given that, their number would be right for the Model X *performance*.

• Informative
Reactions: KarenRei
On that note, I find that not frequently changing ones avatar helps others to associate a new post with the goodwill already accrued by the poster.

But I am that guy who buys three identical shirts. Well, if I feel adventurous they may be of different colors.
Never bought 3 identical shirts. But, I've not changed my avatar in the last 10 years.

Thanks to all TMC posters for keeping truth and reason. I can see why someone not an avid reader of TMC investors forum would think of selling TSLA with the all the relentless FUD articles published. Whenever TSLA is having a bad day, I simply take a drive in my M3 and all is right with Tesla.

I'm very happy to see China and Europe to begin deliveries of their M3s. They have waited long enough. Share the love.

As far as I can see, the only aspect that is wrong is that Fred thought that there's both the flat fee AND a kWh charge for Ionity, or am I missing something else?
Also note that the 8 Euro flat fee will go away, according to Ionity sometime this summer.

That and he implied that it was completely free for the first year, where really only the "basic fee" is free for the first year.

But adding the per kWh charge to his example really inflates the numbers. And nobody is forced to buy into this, you can use any chargers you want and pay the provider directly instead of having the "convenience" of using a single Audi card/app at all providers.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla changes their Supercharger rates to once they are allowed to bill per kWh, assuming that ever happens. (It isn't going to be a special deal for just Ionity is it?)

barring any negative macro news, I have the feeling that we will see a slow but steady hike from here for the next weeks. reasons/signals:
  • lack of MMD (NASDAQ dip today at ~1100 was not amplified)
  • deepak shock was digested pretty quickly
  • another derisking step completed -> 2nd profitable quarter in a row opened the stock to new investors
  • S&P inclusion late 2019/early 2020 became pretty apparent, means arbitrageurs will become active

How is this in any way competitive with the Supercharger network?

Don't know about competitiveness with the supercharger network. But if they apply those stated public AC charging rates to the Netherlands as well, it looks pretty cheap to me. I'm paying somewhere between 0.30 and 0.36 Euro/KWH for public AC charging (excluding start-up and/or roaming charges which may or may not apply). So public AC charging an E-Tron would cost as much as me doing a complete refill of my 24KWH Leaf. (Although my lovely Leaf never goes from 0% SOC to 100% SOC).