Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know how I feel about these rumours of Tesla partnering up with other Auto companies to provide the drivetrain for vans and trucks.

As a human being, this is great news. As an investor, it seems a shame to forfeit such a huge market in exchange for only a couple of grand of profit per vehicle.

Eh, they don’t have the production capacity to fill that demand anyway. Better to get a few thousand per vehicle than 0.

I'm old enough to rmeemrem when peolep were freaking out if there car had HW 1.0 or 2.0. In the end 2.0 was much Ado about nothing.

3.0 hype may end up bursting in similar fashion.

Depends when “the end” was, in your estimation. Starting in June of last year, HW2 was flat-out better at everything than HW1(with the exception of not showing cars in other lanes and not doing lane change off freeway).

Starting with v9 software, it’s not even close and there are no caveats. It holds its lane better, suggests lane changes and automatically takes freeway exits(and navigates any forks) to follow nav, shows all cars around you in any lane, gives blind spot detection and keeps track of which lane you’re in.

Audi & Porsche: "Americans are better engineers than Germans"

Tesla Model 3 cost surprised Porsche and Audi after reverse-engineering

Team_america_poster_300px.jpg

All this talk about the Etron barely charging faster than Tesla's models that have been on the road much longer is nonsense. Before there is a charging network for the Etron, Tesla will have their new superchargers out and it will most likely embarrass Audi's charging before it even gets built out.

It's even more nonsense when you consider just how little charging many people do at fast chargers- it's primarily for road trips for the majority and then who gives a damn if it takes 30 minutes or 40 minutes, I still don't have enough time to finish lunch and go to the bathroom! :mad:

It's all just B.S. because they're so far behind in charging infrastructure/battery production/degradation that they have to try to harp about something.

The whole charging speed thing seems a lot like the max HP thing: good for making your johnson feel bigger but of no real benefit in the real world. :rolleyes:

Mazda-Toyota skipped N.C., but state still has $1.6 billion up for grabs

In late 2017, North Carolina economic development officials jumped into the competition for a new Mazda-Toyota assembly plant in a big way.

They put together a blockbuster incentives package to attract the automakers to a megasite near Greensboro, ponying up state and local benefits totaling $1.6 billion.

But that 10-figure inducement didn't win the plant.

But far from being discouraged by the lost project, North Carolina officials say they're fine-tuning their proposal to compete for the next big car plant — whatever it might be.

"We were hungry, we were really hungry, and some folks might not believe it, but we're even hungrier now," said Brent Christensen, CEO of the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce.

I don’t respond to FUD but since I saw the news about the Dutch Fred flipping his Model 3 and this is connected, I wanted to clarify something many folks don't seem to get: Tesla has had +400k folks who paid some 1000 USD each to be in line for the Model 3. That's much more than they can produce in a reasonable time. So that's a "good" problem to have, but a problem nevertheless. How do you manage such a line? First come first served? Or high trim first, then AWD? Then performance? Etc.?

Tesla decided to go “trim by trim” rather than fist come first served. Which brings pros and cons:

Cons:
- People get upset their car is not available while others can buy their without a problem ($35k SR buyers anyone?)
- FUDsters can write headlines such as the above

Pros:
- You can manage demand by introducing trims in markets as you see fit
- By offering only some trims in some markets you can be very nuanced where your production is going
- You avoid (large-scale) scalping: The SR is not available, full stop. But if you want a Performance version you can get it delivered in a matter of weeks. It doesn't pay to flip a Model 3 (even in Europe you can order today and get it delivered in March).
- You can manage margins as you see fit
- Instead of having money go to sclapers, the money goes to Tesla (i.e. those that 'need to have the Model 3 now now now" will just buy a higher trim).

Ran into something interesting. You know how the most recent ship Tesla contracted to send cars to China is the Emerald Ace? Well, that selection is classic Tesla :)

Japan: MHI Launches Car Carrier EMERALD ACE

"The EMERALD ACE, the vessel of hull No.1296 built at the Kobe Shipyard, measures about 200 meters (m) in overall length, 32.26 m in breadth and 34.52 m in depth. The 60,200 gross tonnage vessel is capable of carrying 6,400 units (standard passenger cars) at a service speed of 20.65 knots. The vessel will be Mitsui O.S.K.’s first ship to have a hybrid electric power supply system onboard. By using power from an energy storage system consisting of a large-size photovoltaic power generation system and a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, the vessel at anchor can prevent emission of exhaust gas from a diesel power generator and thereby realize “zero” emission in harbor."

nb20120626a2a.jpg

Karen, I run an IT project in the maritime sector and I can tell you that the big players are pushing heavily towards getting rid of fossil fuels as much as possible, for three reasons: Port access in emission control zones, future emission regulations, and fuel cost. If they could go full electric today, they would. They are much like the trucking industry in that the cost of operation is the main driver. Imagine using several tons of fuel just to get going, that is what they are doing, many times during a voyage.

Which is why these sectors are ripe for a switchover the moment someone offers them suitable fleet inventory. I believe we will see this happen without much fanfare, because there is no entrenched ship manufacturing industry that stands to lose on lucrative sales of diesel models. For them everything is build-to-order anyway.

Weird, is something wrong with the Glovis Cosmos? Looks like it's headed to port in the UK. It's even slowing down and has a pilot vessel with it!

upload_2019-2-10_9-18-43.png

Live data, frequent updates - does not look like an error.

ED: MTS Pathfinder has broken off. Cosmos turning right, but still slowing.

ED2: Okay, speeding up again, and solidly turned away from the shore. That was... weird. Did someone order a pizza from shore or something?

Last edited:
Weird, is something wrong with the Glovis Cosmos? Looks like it's headed to port in the UK. It's even slowing down and has a pilot vessel with it!

View attachment 376075

ED2: Okay, speeding up again, and solidly turned away from the shore. That was... weird.

Probably a pro-active UK customs "inspection". To gawk at the cargo.

Edit: Although must've been an undercover inspection given the vessel used. Yes, okay that's weird. Maybe it was a "captains favour" amongst mates.

Last edited:

View attachment 376075

ED2: Okay, speeding up again, and solidly turned away from the shore. That was... weird. Did someone order a pizza from shore or something?
Uhh... for a moment I thought the Brits are going to take the Cosmos hostage to negotiate a better Brexit deal!

I mean I get it, world politics and all, but NO ONE TOUCHES OUR TESLAS, OK?!

Sorry, need a minute to collect myself.