Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me:
xRCfa1OQ_400x400.jpg

* I'm a frayed knot
Knot funny. ;)

A little more current history of nationwide seatbelt use: U.S. seat belt use 2018 | Statistic. Close to 90% nationwide

That's mostly because populous states like California are increasing the national average with their near 100% seatbelt usage. There's still a lot of geographical disparity between seatbelt usage rates, the Midwest still has particularly low rates.

Nor is seatbelt usage increasing everywhere, for example this Ohio county registered a drop from 88% in 2013 to 80% in 2017. (Which looks more than just statistical noise.)

I think they have taken a, "Let's put the best products on the planet in customers hands and let competors flail around trying to do better only to become painfully obvious that they are 5 years behind and that gap is growing by the day." Stance.

As journalists or publications, you can only lie for so long and then you lose credibility. California and Norway are case in point, where Tesla's are a good percent of the cars sold there. That doesn't happen if people read the news and don't use there open judgement. Now they all know how fake the news is. As time goes by, the more will know through word of mouth and friends/families. Every Tesla owner is a salesman (women). Do your part, buy a Tesla. Tell all your friends and family. Give them all rides. Let them drive the car. Then ask them if they could afford to be sick from noxious funes or lack of food from sun bleached farmlands. Hell just get solar and the car is cost competive with any car in it's class over 10 years. Skip some over priced coffee and brew drip home.
Yes, there was a San Diego Tesla Club meetup today at the new(ish) Fashion Valley supercharger. Even the organizers were surprised at how many people showed up.
Richard M. Naloxone on Twitter

That's mostly because populous states like California are increasing the national average with their near 100% seatbelt usage. There's still a lot of geographical disparity between seatbelt usage rates, the Midwest still has particularly low rates.

Nor is seatbelt usage increasing everywhere, for example this Ohio county registered a drop from 88% in 2013 to 80% in 2017. (Which looks more than just statistical noise.)
Obesity. Ohio's obesity rate is very high. Seatbelt usage drops, when person's weight make it uncomfortable to use.

Check out Wood Allen - I think he is playing Bill Gates, or is it the other way around? Who would have thought, one of our greatest philanthropists could spew this....

Remember, he is the guy who said nobody will ever need more than 640KB memory in a computer.
Also the guy who could not see any commercial future for the Internet in 1995.
Yes, he is a real visionary as long as he is looking strictly in the rear-view mirror and trying to "predict" the past.
The only thing he was ever successful in is how to abuse his monopoly power and bankrupt any innovative
company competing with his...

View attachment 380203 This is super interesting. This guy works for GM in software development. Wonder why he is immediately stoping his banter on TSLA. Any guesses?
Because ...
- Lost too much money
- Asked by someone from GM to stop doing it (what he is doing as an employee of a competitior is simply not ethical)
- GM has a tie up with Tesla now ;)

Anyway, here's how I am planning to live in my retirement.

Semi, self-driving on a highway by itself. Half of it is a garage for my roadster and the other half is a cozy living area.

Picture me, driving up behind in my red roadster after meeting up for coffee with my friend in vegas and the semi open up the back to slide down a ramp so the roadster can self park into the garage. I unwind and check the map for more places to explore.

Just say it. You want to be Michael Knight in retirement.

giphy.gif

DNIe.gif

tumblr_owqp1x6TSr1v4u49oo1_400.gif

Most innovation is done when people are young. Unfortunate that we then ascribe old people with money as some how "smart"
Gates had the undeniable luck to be born at the right time. That time is past....he is now a doddering old fool with a ton of cash.
He didn't make his fortune as a research scientist studying energy consumption, production and delivery. He is a very smart guy in his field, nobody can or should try to take that away from him. He is entitled to his opinion like you and I. He just has a much bigger audience than we do. We all know that in time he will be proven wrong. Or, if he is right and we are wrong then we're all screwed. lol!

Dan

This is a bit random, but as it is weekend, I decided to post it.

Does anyone remember that story on Wired, Dr. Elon & Mr. Musk, from a few months back? There was quite a bit of debate on it, as it wasn't the most flattering piece. I just found an interesting comment about one of the stories mentioned in it. It's on youtube, on this video (Elon Musk in Interstellar - it's funny and very well made, I recommend a watch), about 60 comments down, as a reply to someone.

Now, it can of course be made-up, but it seems legit enough that I wanted to post it here. Especially considering it's a reply to a youtube comment on a parody video - if someone wanted to make up fake stories, why do it there of all places.

Anyway, the comment (by one Leto Atreides):

Oh that story. The whole story was a young engineer was working with some robotic parts. This happened a couple months ago by the way. So this young engineer was working on robotic parts, Elon saw the line malfunctioning and smelled something burning. He asked angrily "what the **** is that smell", everyone including the manager was confused (the manager who was also an executive who would be fired for this incident by the way who has spoken about "elon is abusive", Elon being Elon walked down the line and found this young engineer, this robotic part was putting adhesive on other parts putting it together, but was running way too hot. It was creating fumes, which elon had smelled, no one else besides a worker earlier had complained about headaches. As soon as elon heard about the headaches he went to investigate (further back story).

The young engineer who was ignoring the fumes and had his head up his ass, and elon asked "did you ****ing do this" the engineer was confused, elon repeated "did you ****ing do this" then elon fired him on the spot. The manager would be later fired. The reason was the fumes from the adhesives would start making workers sick and injuring them. Elon stated "these ****ing fumes will kill people" to that manager.

Elon was rightfully enraged, the young engineer was endangering everyone at the plant, was too lazy or stupid to realize the fumes were making him sick and everyone around him sick. The manager was too stupid or too lazy to do anything about it and was running an unsafe and inefficient line. If you've ever worked in these kind of plants, if you endanger everyone around you, if you are unaware of things like your creating dangerous fumes and your line is all screwed up, you need to be ran off and fired. A single part of the line gets messed up everything goes down, a single issue like these fumes screws everyone up mentally and physically. They are intense and fast places. You can't be that stupid and be allowed to work in those dangerous conditions. It's bad for lives and business.

I guess a problem with a semi home is, where do you park them. Places with such a huge parking spot is rare.

Also, are there actually advantages with an ev semi in this setup? No need for gas hookup. AC with no fumes. Not really enough advantages.

Anyway, here's how I am planning to live in my retirement.

Semi, self-driving on a highway by itself. Half of it is a garage for my roadster and the other half is a cozy living area.

Picture me, driving up behind in my red roadster after meeting up for coffee with my friend in vegas and the semi open up the back to slide down a ramp so the roadster can self park into the garage. I unwind and check the map for more places to explore.

Just curious, in order for that to materialize how high does the TSLA SP have to go? :)

I kept thinking of the discussion a while back about how dirty ship propulsion was. Some even thought they were still steam driven using Bunker C (basically tar that is kept hot enough to keep it liquid) to fire boilers. Not much better than coal. I thought modern ships probably used some form of Diesel often linked to a generator with the final drive being electric. I finally found a description for the engine of the Glovis Captain.

"Main engine: six-cylinder, two-stroke Hyundai-MAN B&W 6S60MC-C developing 17,077 bhp at 101.5 rpm. Speed: 20 knots."

I didn't find any reference to the electrical system so its possible that it is a direct drive system. Some large two-stroke engines like this are sometimes capable of operating in reverse. Also with limited range of operating rpm, variable pitch propellers can be used.

You can google the engine model # and a lot of information comes up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
This is a bit random, but as it is weekend, I decided to post it.

Does anyone remember that story on Wired, Dr. Elon & Mr. Musk, from a few months back? There was quite a bit of debate on it, as it wasn't the most flattering piece. I just found an interesting comment about one of the stories mentioned in it. It's on youtube, on this video (Elon Musk in Interstellar - it's funny and very well made, I recommend a watch), about 60 comments down, as a reply to someone.

Now, it can of course be made-up, but it seems legit enough that I wanted to post it here. Especially considering it's a reply to a youtube comment on a parody video - if someone wanted to make up fake stories, why do it there of all places.

Anyway, the comment (by one Leto Atreides):

Very interesting catch! Too bad there's no way to confirm it.

Reactions: Fact Checking
"Main engine: six-cylinder, two-stroke Hyundai-MAN B&W 6S60MC-C developing 17,077 bhp at 101.5 rpm. Speed: 20 knots."
This type of low speed diesel is pretty typical for many ocean going vessels. They are directly coupled to the main propeller shaft, and it's true that they can be operated in reverse.

Although there aren't that many still in use, it's true that there are still some steam ships out there. There probably isn't much difference with regards to their emissions, however, as both typically operate on HFO and large steam turbines are actually relatively efficient.