Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you dont like his response, here's some others

-Vin Q1 registrations.....throughout jan, feb
-2 different fund managers have met with Tesla IR over the past week and said Tesla was selling every car they make
- source carson who has confirmed weekly model 3 battery pack production at 6.5/week and going higher

Simply put, they wouldn't be continuing to register vins for model 3 and making that many 3 battery pacls weekly if they knew incoming orders were weak

I'll just limit this to your first point, but I'm sure you know that VIN registrations have no bearing on production or sales, right??

I mean, we all know you need one VIN per car you make, but you can ~register~ as many VINS each year as you want, and make no-where NEAR that many cars... Jumping around with blocks of numbers (and not using other blocks of numbers) makes it an even WORSE way to use these to track production....

It's kinda like me ordering 1000 checks from the printer, and I write 2 per month...
Use them or not, makes no difference.. But if somebody saw me order 1000 checks, they might even think I must write a lot of checks...
Not only that, if I start with check #549, you shouldn't assume I've already written 548 checks before that...

Reactions: madodel
I'll just limit this to your first point, but I'm sure you know that VIN registrations have no bearing on production or sales, right??

I mean, we all know you need one VIN per car you make, but you can ~register~ as many VINS each year as you want, and make no-where NEAR that many cars... Jumping around with blocks of numbers (and not using other blocks of numbers) makes it an even WORSE way to use these to track production....

It's kinda like me ordering 1000 checks from the printer, and I write 2 per month...
Use them or not, makes no difference.. But if somebody saw me order 1000 checks, they might even think I must write a lot of checks...
Not only that, if I start with check #549, you shouldn't assume I've already written 548 checks before that...

I'm sure....you know...that historically tesla has not registered large batches that it doesn't intend to use mostly in the quarter that they are registered in. Thus there is no reason to think they would start to do that now. Every quarter FUD and bears repeat exactly what ypu just wrote...because we'll we all know you are one of them. Every quarter your theory is proven wrong

Just ordered model Y (will join my model 3). So pumped up. Again no expectation in terms of timing, just hoping that initial delivery quality is better this time. This will replace our MDX (give us 17-18 mpg city mileage).

One more point. Hopefully they release seven seat option sooner (not sure why they are pushing back the $3k option revenue).

Well, at the very least, the initial build quality can be guaranteed on at least 76% of the parts this time ;)

When you get checks, you use some of them, you screw up some of them and some of them end up at the bottom of the file cabinet.

January you order 1000 checks
February you order 2000 checks
March you order 3000 checks

You are writing a lot of checks at a faster and faster rate.

Actually I think the model Y was his attempt to pump the price up again. It just went badly since they did not tease anything else (I mean the truck was so hidden I wouldn't even call it a "one other thing". If they were serious they would have rolled the pick up out. It just feels like he's trying too hard now and not even convinces himself he should do it. I'm actually surprised how bad the presentation was the other day.

If so, he’s otherwise amazing at planning and foresight. He said it would be March 15 like 6 months ago. And only off by one day. That’s like Paul Atreides good.

What do some of your like minded friends think not only of Tesla but would they buy a Tesla truck or any EV?

A lot of my friends love the Tesla cars but most of them drive trucks or SUV's. A couple of the wives drive Teslas. I live in a pretty liberal (for Georgia) college town and most of my friends are professionals who fish, hike, hunt, and paddle rather than playing golf or biking. 4-wheel drive, good towing capability, and 3-400 in range are necessities. A crew cab big enough to fit the family in too.

I do think that a truck that checked these boxes and came in around $60-$80K would get some nibbles even if it's the Triangle With A Short Rectangle Behind It Cyberpunk thing some are predicting. Guys like me, I think, are gonna be slow to adopt something like that. It looks completely different than the Tacomas, F-150's, Tahoes, etc that we drive now. None of the S3XY lineup is anywhere near as big a departure in terms of appearance from what currently exists as that Cyberpunk truck would be.

Make something closer in appearance to what we drive now and guys like me will be early adopters. Make it weird and pointy and it'll take a while.

I could probably find a used pair of shoes for $0. Infinity times better price vs Model Y.

Dont tell my wife that.
She makes Imelda Marcos look like a slacker.

imelda-marcos-shoes-many.jpg

A lot of my friends love the Tesla cars but most of them drive trucks or SUV's. A couple of the wives drive Teslas. I live in a pretty liberal (for Georgia) college town and most of my friends are professionals who fish, hike, hunt, and paddle rather than playing golf or biking. 4-wheel drive, good towing capability, and 3-400 in range are necessities. A crew cab big enough to fit the family in too.

I do think that a truck that checked these boxes and came in around $60-$80K would get some nibbles even if it's the Triangle With A Short Rectangle Behind It Cyberpunk thing some are predicting. Guys like me, I think, are gonna be slow to adopt something like that. It looks completely different than the Tacomas, F-150's, Tahoes, etc that we drive now. None of the S3XY lineup is anywhere near as big a departure in terms of appearance from what currently exists as that Cyberpunk truck would be.

Make something closer in appearance to what we drive now and guys like me will be early adopters. Make it weird and pointy and it'll take a while.

But possibly really practical. That may make today’s Ford/Chevy vehicles seem “weird”. As in, “why have we been suckered for so long?”

First, I'm trapped by imagery of the cyber-punk truck.
It has many of the things I hate and love about trucks, distilled in to lust.
The hate part:
Over-sized indulgence needed by most owners like me for 2% of their lives (I made % that up).
Can't see around them when trailing in my Model 3 on the coast highway.
Takes two parking spaces (and two supercharger spots?). In the outback of the country, ok. In the city, a big FU to everyone trying to get to work and find a place to park.

The love/lust part:
I'm at the tippy top of the food chain! F-150s will scatter like rodents.
She's sooo cyber-sexy, black, silver, mysterious and brittle (lots of titanium).
Complicated: Blade-runner dystopia meets Green New Deal.

ok, ok. take my money!
Lust is a desperate mistress.
...a rag and a bone and a... cyberpunk, 1000HP, 4-sec 0-60, exquisite Sandcrawler.

That's just it. Elon doesn't care if few are purchased. He'll be air-mailing them to Mars to build the first colony.

This...

I'm English, born in the green county of Shropshire, in the medieval town of Shrewsbury, birthplace of Charles Darwin, with more listed buildings than any other town in the UK. But I'm living in Brussels fo nearly 20 years, and have also acquired Belgian nationality (Brexit, init). I freelance for the European Commission and am married to a Dane, who is an official at the EC.

I am very European. I think pickup trucks are a stupid idea and ridicule the few people that drive then around Brussels. However, I'm excited for the Tesla Pickup following this cryptic sneak-preview. I think it can be an even bigger halo car than the R2, for those in the USA, of course. I think it's going to be awesome...

Camcord starts at $24k. Tops out at ~$38k. But Toyonda dealers discount unlike Tesla.

And most Americans shop by monthly payment not 6-10 year TCO.
A friend had been asking me about Model 3.

I told him he should buy now because the prices will increase next week. He said he already bought a car. He checked Leaf - but the lease was too high around $400. So he leased a civic for $200. He is coming from inexpensive BMW & Leaf leases. Considering his finances and background - he should easily be able to buy a 3 - but decided not to this time.

Lots of "oh woe is me" and tearing of beards over the 3rd row in MY...

Real world experience: I paid for jump-seats in my P85, I think I used them 6 times, mostly for joy-rides. I have 7 seats in my MX, used them once.

7 (5+2) - seats are for occasional use, if you need that kind of utility all the time or for road-trips, you buy a mini-van.