Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Repeatedly saying this for the past decade hasn't made it true.

Some day, sure. But keeping on mentioning small low-volume unprofitable compliance econoboxen does you no favours.

Heaven forbid anyone "mention" the competition and I must say I can't imagine what kind of favor I might be looking for here.

There will be competition. Tesla clearly has a massive advantage but it does no investor any good to pretend that Tesla has some kind of permanent claim to being the only manufacturer of viable electric vehicles.

It is only be watching the competition and examining their approaches that an investor can have a truly informed opinion of TSLA's prospects. Discussing competition is not somehow an expression of hostility to TSLA.

8wvmfwfw6nm21.jpg

We've been talking aesthetics and potential demand for the pickup and I've got another data point that we can possibly generalize. I saw this on Reddit and my wife's reaction was: "Not only am I not getting in that thing, but we aren't parking it in the driveway either." Even though my future electric pickup would be mine, it also doubles as a family vehicle. My wife isn't getting out of this and walking into church, despite how badass I think it looks.
I can guarantee that she would have slightly more church-appropriate words for it (tho can't guarantee if enough for her to like it) were it first, not in Urban Guerilla Charcoal; second, without that Urban GorillaGard; third, without the toad-squishing tires.

Cracked the code? Like mass production in the order of 3000 per week with positive gross margin? Where are the cars?

Closest, yes. They are at least able to produce a vehicle that isn't horrendously inefficient like the Germans.

Funny your "competition" list didn't include bolt.

The list and specs were originally compiled by the article I linked to. It is a comparison of CUV electric vehicles and so the Bolt, S, X, and 3 weren't included. If it had been included the Model 3 would have crushed the competition, but then people here know that.

That would be a good project for someone with the time and inclination, compile a spreadsheet of all the announced electric vehicles and their relevant specs.

Reactions: neroden
OT

Sounds legit, until you stripped off the context from the Spaceflight Now article: "Officials have not announced a launch date for the Falcon Heavy’s next mission".

By definition, the public is mislead when even interested parties like @winfield100 misremember the details: he recalls the date reported by CNBC but forgets the "no earlier than" part, because its added at the end to de-emphasize its importance.

Honest reporting puts that caveat up front, and emphasizes that, as Spaceflight Now did in their story, that no launch date has been set, so a 'missed launch date' is not even possible.

News that's engineered to mislead is misinformation. When reporting consistently targets one company while ignoring similar events from competitors like ULA, that reporting is part of a misinformation campaign.

This story sets up CNBC with the convenient option of ignoring whether the Falcon Heavy launch meets their timing, or writing a followup headline that "SpaceX launch delayed again" if they don't launch on CNBC's timing.

So "pretty standard" reporting for the manipulation managers at CNBC.

TL;dr weasel words.
it's a 500 mile road trip so i need to be sure about timing
it's better than the liftoff of "Red Thunder" off that barge using squeezer drives
(um, which universe is this? oops, sorry)
upload_2019-3-17_18-42-24.png

Why would I be concerned? I have no financial stake in Kia/Hyundai and don't think that Tesla's potential success or failure is dependent on Tesla having no competition.

Competition is coming, that is a certainty and is absolutely part of Tesla's plan.

I suspect Kia/Hyundai will ultimately be among the stronger competitors. Korea has a strong battery industry and Kia/Hyundai seem closer to cracking the code to a viable electric vehicle than the Germans. Besides, they have roughly 2 years before Tesla projects the standard range Model Y is available.

I’m about to pass out from holding my breath for the last 7 years waiting for this ‘competition is coming’.

Now it seems I’ve got to keep doing it for another two years. Phew! Is that all.

Well, again, ~not~ Donn..... But thanks to you, I ~do~ now know whom you're talking about... So thank you for that...
And I am retired, in a way....... Thanks for asking..

But just like you, now standing by....now just watching the liquidation of inventory....
And as I'm sure you know, that's just one more step in the process... ;-)

Layoffs?? Check

Locations closing?? Check

Slow service and parts response?? Check
(note: this might be a helpful thread to anyone finding Tesla's response to needing parts or service unsatisfactory: Brian Sparks on Twitter )

Inventory reductions...... Check-ish (on-going)

Increase cash-on-hand any way possible....... Check-ish (Thanks for the deposits, you unsecured creditors, you!)

Disagree all you want, but some of those have already happened, and others are happening as we speak...

Trade safe, folks....

I see what you did there!
We can read between your lines, we know what you are trying to spell out.
But we are not buying story, sorry! Not selling TSLA stocks any time soon, try harder!

Last edited:
This isn't my first rodeo with people like you coming here and making arguments precisely like the one you're making now.
It doesn't seem to me he's making an argument. He's stating some facts (Superchargers aren't there yet), and his personal preference (to have a working Chademo so even without superchargers he could make a Model 3 work).

Heaven forbid anyone "mention" the competition and I must say I can't imagine what kind of favor I might be looking for here.

There will be competition. Tesla clearly has a massive advantage but it does no investor any good to pretend that Tesla has some kind of permanent claim to being the only manufacturer of viable electric vehicles.

It is only be watching the competition and examining their approaches that an investor can have a truly informed opinion of TSLA's prospects. Discussing competition is not somehow an expression of hostility to TSLA.

I agree, competition especially future competition is one of the most important factor that every investor should consider. Never assume my pick will win the competition down the road. However, don't just assume competition will come, thus every company will share a piece of the market.

Better to look at each case in details. I don't see anything nearly competitive going against Tesla's products in the next 5 years.