Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT (while we wait):

In the last week, Canada has announced a $5,000 rebate for EVs, and is moving forward to extend a National Carbon Tax: (covering Provinces which have not yet implemented their own Climate Action Plan to meet the 2030 goals outlined in the Paris Agreement)

Canada imposes carbon tax on four provinces with no climate plans
All good, except Gov't of Canada has put a price cap limit which excludes all vehicles over $45,000 CAD.
How much is a base M3 in Canada? $47,600 CAD. So no Tesla vehicles qualify for the $5,000 rebate.
This is no different than Volkswagon lobbying German Gov't to exclude all EVs greater in length than three inches less than that of the M3.
It is intentional, both a swipe at Tesla, no doubt.
2019 Federal Budget Includes Rebate for Electric Vehicles – WHEELS.ca

Meanwhile at home on the Canadian frontier....
Report on climate change shows Canada warming at twice the rate of rest of world
Canada warming at twice the global rate, climate report finds
Climate change is warming Canada at a rate twice as fast as the global average, federal report warns

is it my bad eyesight or was there a significant creep in implied volatility over the last ~18hrs? overcompensated high theta decay AND SP down movement for my short OTM calls. sick. exciting times

I expect that the options related implied volatility will remain high though the judge's verdict in the SEC case. That may not come this week. The IP could continue to be rather elevated until after the Q1 earnings release.

• Informative
Reactions: Antares Nebula
Totally different topic - looking over new inventory X models on the web, a lot of cars that were available on Sunday are now no longer visible. If you search sites like teslainventory, they all redirect you back to the main website. I wonder if they freeze these cars while they are trying to finalize the Q1 numbers...I just can't think they sold every inventory X.

There's still 25 Inventory Model Xs available right now (In the US)

upload_2019-4-2_18-33-12.png

upload_2019-4-2_18-32-40.png

All good, except Gov't of Canada has put a price cap limit which excludes all vehicles over $45,000 CAD.
How much is a base M3 in Canada? $47,600 CAD. So no Tesla vehicles qualify for the $5,000 rebate.
This is no different than Volkswagon lobbying German Gov't to exclude all EVs greater in length than three inches less than that of the M3.

Report on climate change shows Canada warming at twice the rate of rest of world
Climate change is warming Canada at a rate twice as fast as the global average, federal report warns

Doesn't Canada have an election this year that might bring an end of these initiatives?

I got an email from my broker (Charles Schwab) yesterday informing me that since the previous deadline for the MXWL tender offer expired and the offer was extended, I must re-tender my shares if I wanted to accept the new deadline. Kind of weird since they were shown as tendered (symbol 577992209) last Friday which was already well past the previous expiration. This probably throws a wrench in the works of getting enough shares tendered - it's likely that some people will get automatically un-tendered and won't know they need to re-tender their shares.

For those of you waiting to buy your Tesla thinking pricing will drop, case in point:
Back in 2012 I could have bought a new MS for $49,900 CAD. Today, the least expensive new MS from Tesla is $114,800 CAD.
Mind you back in 2012 that was for a 40kWh battery and CAD to USD parity.

It would not surprise me at all if the prices for M3 hold their value or continue to rise once people see the value of the best vehicle in the World.

Back in 1984, I had a neighbour that bought a new Honda Prelude, when Honda was considered inferior compared with the US Domestic Autos. Well, three years later he sold it for more than what he originally paid for his car. Fast forward to today and Tesla.

Last edited:

Is there good reason to think the Canadian gov is designing a program that would purposely exclude Tesla? or is it more to encourage a broader base of growth for other manufacturers that aren't as far along? or perhaps based on an estimated cost to the Canadian treasury given the number of cars they think would qualify? I mean, we're used to the U.S. gov being anti-green (at least much of the rhetoric from DC is) but you Canucks are supposed to be progressive... ; )

For those of you waiting to buy your Tesla thinking pricing will drop, case in point:
Back in 2012 I could have bought a new MS for $49,900 CAD. Today, the least expensive new MS from Tesla is $114,800 CAD.
Mind you back in 2012 that was for a 40kwH battery and CAD to USD parity.

It would not surprise me at all if the prices for M3 hold their value or continue to rise once people see the value of the best vehicle in the World.

Back in 1984, I had a neighbour that bought a new Honda Prelude, when Honda was considered a inferior compared with the US Domestic Autos. Well, three years later he sold it for more than what he originally paid for his car. Fast forward to today and Tesla.

I am hoping this holds true for us LEMUR owners.

Reactions: wipster
Is there good reason to think the Canadian gov is designing a program that would purposely exclude Tesla? or is it more to encourage a broader base of growth for other manufacturers that aren't as far along? or perhaps based on an estimated cost to the Canadian treasury given the number of cars they think would qualify? I mean, we're used to the U.S. gov being anti-green (at least much of the rhetoric from DC is) but you Canucks are supposed to be progressive... ; )

From what I remember, there’s a limit to the number of cars that credit will cover, and I think it was low enough that Tesla would eat up all of it in ~1 year.