Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wired have been pretty bearish on Tesla in the past, but this is a very objective article:

Tesla, by comparison, appears to have better battery-engineering prowess, and more experience with the technology. “One of the possible reasons for Tesla going with the full nominal capacity could be that they have a better thermal management system, which makes sure the battery doesn't degrade as much even with full capacity" - no *sugar*, Sherlock!

Tesla might also be better at wringing more miles out of the battery because the company has a decade’s worth of research as a head start. - who woulda thunk it?
Except they don't use the full nominal capacity of the pack.

The problem with Tesla is the "narrative".
The entire narrative of a deranged CEO, of financial disasters, of EVs being useless toys for rich people, and so on.
Tesla is a new breed, a disrupting company that is doing things nobody did, in ways that nobody understands, with a CEO working style that nobody saw before.
Elon is an alien: an Asperger, lase-focused billionaire with amazing engineering AND business skills but somehow controversial communication and (quite possibly) social skills. A guy who decided when he was 15 that he wanted to work on the Internet, Mars colonization, and sustainable energy. And he made it.

Now, the problem fighting already established narratives, engrainde in people's mind, is *time*. You need a lot of time.
With ads, that translates in hundreds millions of dollars better spent elsewhere.

People are affected by advertisement,
but they are way more affected by things they experience. Put enough Tesla on the road, put enough powerwalls in homes and powerpacks in cities, enough solar on roofs and things will change.
Show, don't tell.

Right now, there are 23k more Tesla on the road in Europe, so basically there are already 100k, maybe even 1M people (family, friends, collegues) that have driven or have been in a Tesla for the first time.

Then the SR comes.

Plus don't forget the supercharger network, with big red glowing tesla logos all over the place. Exxon Mobil advertises exxon mobil, not a car brand. Tesla are the only car company on earth whose charging network is also a highly visible advertising hoarding placed slap bang where drivers see them.
Except the SCs I’ve used are in out-of-the way hidden spots behind restaurants and hotels. You need your nav system to find them.

I certainly wouldn’t want something like the obnoxious interstate service station signs that reach into the stratosphere, but I’ve never seen an SC I wasn’t searching for.

It's an urban myth, quickly debunked with a little common sense. US refineries produce 800m gallons per day, at 4 kWh per (US) gallon that'd be 3.2 TWh/day, roughly 30% of total US electricity consumption!!! Also, crack spreads can dip below $10/bbl during off seasons. Electricity cost alone at 4 kWh/gal would exceed $15/bbl.
Not an urban myth - just badly worded/stated.

It takes a lot of energy to produce & refine gas. That energy could come from outside electricity, onsite electricity or just heat by burning gases/oil. There are multiple threads on this here.

Refineries and electricity use

Electricity used in refining cannot be readily estimated because:

Refinery designs are optimised for a certain crude diet and product mix. "Refinery fuel and loss" will vary and could be typically around 5% of the tonnage of crude used. How much electricity a refinery decides to import as portion of fuel and loss depends on local tariffs granted to large industries and the reliability of this supply. If tariffs are low, they will take more. If they are high they may import none. It is largely a matter of local economics and safety whether e.g. pumps are driven by steam or electricity.
Refining is a fractured distillation with various additional units. In the US, where demand for gasoline is relatively large in relation to other products, e.g. catalytic crackers have to be added to produce more of the lighter fractions. As refinery fuel serve always the cheapest fractions, if possible those that cannot be sold anyway. The largest portion would be heavy residues. Of those 5% only a portion would be used for electricity generation, unless the refinery can export such electricity profitably.

If I assume that primarily demand for gasoline will be reduced with the introduction of electric vehicles, I would allocate only the additional energy used to operate crackers and perhaps some other gasoline specific units as a possible benefit.
To estimate the effect of omitting such units the (linear program) model of a specific refinery would have to be used. In any case the "saving" would not emerge as electricity, but rather as a reduction in refinery fuel and loss.

Except they don't use the full nominal capacity of the pack.

Agreed, but I bet my ass that the thermal management is in a different league...

Hey, I spotted you on another forum...

upload_2019-4-9_19-25-13.png

Sorry OT but does anyone know how to buy ARKK in Europe? Thanks

ARKK is an ETF traded on the Nasdaq exchange here in America. I bought shares through the TD Ameritrade brokerage. Ask your stock brokerage how you can do the same. If they don't know, then ask your question during today's monthly ARK webinar that begins in four minutes: ARK Invest | Innovation Is Key to Growth and Alpha

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
ARKK is an ETF traded on the Nasdaq exchange here in America. I bought shares through the TD Ameritrade brokerage. Ask your stock brokerage how you can do the same. If they don't know, then ask your question during today's monthly ARK webinar that begins in four minutes: ARK Invest | Innovation Is Key to Growth and Alpha

Indeed, just search the symbol ARKK in your broker software and trade it like any common share:

72F2E58C-4A24-4DB3-B148-94EBD94A70CF.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Going to have to disagree based on the number of people telling me how modern and clean the interior is.

Plus actual use of a Tesla vs the Germans - the interior of the Tesla is way more functional. It doesn’t fight you with the complexity of a thousand buttons placed randomly about the cabin with little integration with your phone other than CarPlay.

Finally there is no greater luxury feature than Autopilot.

They are making the inside look like a spaceship, on purpose.

ripley-980x553.jpg

ycITzQd.jpg

We can electrify every vehicle and close every coal plant, it won’t stop the climb of the Keeling Curve unless we also address shipping, aircraft, concrete, steel, agriculture. People need to understand the nature of the enhanced greenhouse effect or it will get the better of us. IMHO.
...and ways of cost effectively reabsorbing excess CO2 from the atmosphere or the horse that's out of the barn will just keep running.

Seriously did bears learn nothing from Model 3 ramp? Model 3 margins went from negative(by quite a bit) to 20% within a year. TE storage is already positive with very low production so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two an two together and see that once TE storage ramps, margins will go much higher.
Model 3 was a completely different situation. You had billions invested in a production line that was fully staffed yet only producing a trickle of cars. The factory and staff in Nevada are making batteries for cars instead of storage. There is no billion dollar, fully staffed energy storage production line running at 10% utilization and driving per unit costs through the roof.

Storage margins will improve, but it's a slow grind. I can't see a material profit contribution this year.

Those who follow the market politics thread will find I'm a fan of Madison's opening to Federalist #51 which is the clearest statement of what is the problem of government, the reconciliation of two logical opposites, freedom and order. Quanta Magazine has a recent article showing that dilemma may have much more universal application, the dance between simple synchronization and chimeric. There may be physics first principles ways to predict or control markets.

In the head note to their article they say: “In a world seemingly filled with chaos, physicists have discovered new forms of synchronization and are learning how to predict and control them.”

Physicists Discover Exotic Patterns of Synchronization | Quanta Magazine

There remain some mysteries which may already be answered. But first a paragraph.

“But the chimera state is still not fully understood. Kuramoto worked out the math verifying that the state is self-consistent, and therefore possible, but that doesn’t explain why it arises. Strogatz and Abrams further developed the math, but other researchers want 'a more seat-of-the-pants, physical explanation,' Strogatz said, adding, 'I think it’s fair to say that we haven’t really hit the nail on the head yet' about why the chimera state occurs.”

It would seem the work of Nobel Laureate Ilya Prigogine and others supplies the answer as to why because of their advances in studying mixtures. When that is pushed to its extreme, it is difficult how any notion of change is possible without some mixture of order and disorder. Hegel's third law of the dialectic discussed this over a century ago: "The negation of the negation."

The scientists are aware of wide applications, including why for example AI and deep learning often come up with connections we cannot fathom. I would say, by intuition. How many times do we wake up with the solution to a problem? Can you specify the rules for intuition? In these cases a new logic or illogic is needed.

“Many of the new synchronization patterns arise in networks of oscillators, which have specific sets of connections, rather than all being coupled to one another, as assumed in the original Kuramoto model. Networks are better models of many real-world systems, like brains and the internet.”

And so we see how game changing elections may follow each other, and negate themselves, or not. The same is true, of course, for innovative companies like Tesla and market reactions to it.

“Remote synchronization jibes with findings about real-world networks, such as social networks. 'Anecdotally it’s not your friend who influences your behavior so much as your friend’s friend,' D’Souza said.”

Edit: Despite themselves saying it is difficult to know why, they explain the effect by using the word "chimera." It is not reaction "between" as I said above, it is "among" as in ingredients of a mixture.

Last edited:
You understand that the NN doesn't work that way, and the car doesn't learn anything. Every new ability is the result of training conducted by Tesla on a updated dataset.

Thanks for the comment.

This may not be feasible. I was thinking of demo of how this training happens on a dataset. Not on a car necessarily but as part of a demo of how it is done. Very basic for the journalists who are going to attend but are not techies.

Something like how to recognize a duck among chickens or such and how accuracy improves with the expanding example set. Not an expert on this but I think understanding the process a bit would help the journalists.

Reactions: Lessmog
Those who follow the market politics thread will find I'm a fan of Madison's opening to Federalist #51 which is the clearest statement of what is the problem of government, the reconciliation of two logical opposites, freedom and order. Quanta Magazine has a recent article showing that dilemma may have much more universal application, the dance between simple synchronization and chimeric. There may be physics first principles ways to predict or control markets.

In the head note to their article they say: “In a world seemingly filled with chaos, physicists have discovered new forms of synchronization and are learning how to predict and control them.”

Physicists Discover Exotic Patterns of Synchronization | Quanta Magazine

There remain some mysteries which may already be answered. But first a paragraph.

“But the chimera state is still not fully understood. Kuramoto worked out the math verifying that the state is self-consistent, and therefore possible, but that doesn’t explain why it arises. Strogatz and Abrams further developed the math, but other researchers want 'a more seat-of-the-pants, physical explanation,' Strogatz said, adding, 'I think it’s fair to say that we haven’t really hit the nail on the head yet' about why the chimera state occurs.”

It would seem the work of Nobel Laureate Ilya Prigogine and others supplies the answer as to why because of their advances in studying mixtures. When that is pushed to its extreme, it is difficult how any notion of change is possible without some mixture of order and disorder. Hegel's third law of the dialectic discussed this over a century ago: "The negation of the negation."

The scientists are aware of wide applications, including why for example AI and deep learning often come up with connections we cannot fathom. I would say, by intuition. How many times do we wake up with the solution to a problem? Can you specify the rules for intuition? In these cases a new logic or illogic is needed.

“Many of the new synchronization patterns arise in networks of oscillators, which have specific sets of connections, rather than all being coupled to one another, as assumed in the original Kuramoto model. Networks are better models of many real-world systems, like brains and the internet”

And so we see how game changing elections may follow each other, and negate themselves, or not. The same is true, of course, for innovative companies like Tesla and market reactions to it.

“Remote synchronization jibes with findings about real-world networks, such as social networks. 'Anecdotally it’s not your friend who influences your behavior so much as your friend’s friend,' D’Souza said.”

I've read that article the other day, and I was quite surprised and pleased to see it posted here.

I think your framing of it is very insightful.