Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No offense, but that's your subjective interpretation of their actions.

In light of eg. Apple's pricing- and product-strategy you could very well interpret this the other way around, too. Turns out, if your product is in a finite market of more-or-less loyal customers, you can increase prices and slash options while maintaining or, in some cases, even increasing demand ("luxury effect", very apparent with special runs of expensive watches).

Others simply call it "milking the cow". Not saying this is what Tesla is doing, but it'd be foolish to rule this possibility out, either.

Common knowledge in the press(and, seemingly, mr market) is that Tesla has already sold Model 3s to those diehard customers. If they can pull off such a thing within 2 years of even starting customer deliveries, that would suggest that isn’t true.

For a company that touts the superiority of online buying, moving to store/phone only for the 35k is a pretty blatant attempt to avoid selling it. That pretty much shouts loudly that Tesla can't sell the $35k at enough margin to make it viable.

Not terribly different from dealers where you essentially can't buy a base model car except by special order. They might get a tiny, tiny number of them, which the advertise, but usually don't exist ("already sold") if you actually go into the dealer.

As a 2012 S owner, I really want Tesla to do well, but it's disheartening, Tesla playing a variation of the traditional dealer loss-leader shell game. Necessary, I'm sure, but all these rapid pricing changes look like confusion and panic.

If I weren't so heavily underwater, doubling down back at the "420 buyout" text, I'd probably divest of TSLA until their sales strategy looked less reactionary and panicked. But, it can't get much worse for me so I might as well hope this works out.

It does make me think they should have gone with a middle-of-the-road grey interior so that people who insist on light-colored interiors and those who insist on dark-colored interiors would both have been satisfied with one interior. :)

I agree. I don’t like black or bright white interiors, and was really happy that a “cream” premium interior was available for my MS. I suspect there are a lot of us around that like muted colors, especially when choosing “premium”.

2) They are still way too optimistic about autonomy.
I see that @Fact Checking pointed out that a Tesla ride-hailing fleet 3 years from now would not necessarily require full autonomy to be viable.

Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
Here is the evidence that Tesla has more Model 3 orders than they can fulfill:
  • Until today half of Europe and China couldn't order anything but $60k+ Model 3 configs.
  • Still no sales to the other half of Europe. At all.
  • Still no right hand drive sales. At all. 35% of the world is using right hand drive cars.
  • Still no sales to the rest of the LHD world. Tesla still doesn't sell any Model 3's to @KarenRei, at any price.
  • Even the U.S. market is production constrained: in the Q1 delivery report Tesla reported: "Despite pull forward of demand from Q1 2019 into Q4 2018 due to the step down in the federal tax credit, US orders for Model 3 vehicles significantly outpaced what we were able to deliver in Q1."
These are all readily available, easily verified facts.
If @neroden is correct, the reason any of the items on this list that require manufacturing line adjustments are not being produced is because doing so would be a detriment to the total production. It makes quite a bit of sense, why else would Tesla be leaving all those high margin RHD orders unfulfilled

Please show your math.

Of course. Here is the math around Tesla's demand on March 31 for Model 3 cells :

Last quarter, Tesla produced 62 950 Model 3. Let's round up to 70 000. Average battery capacity is uncertain but let's be generous and go with 70kWh. That's 4 x 70 000 x 70 = 19.6 GWh on a yearly basis. In Q4 last year 225MWh. Again, let's say Tesla doubled this 3 months later. That's 1.8 GWh on a yearly basis. Total cell demand = 21.4GWh.

Everyone should listen to this podcast, it’s not that long. You can skip the first disclaimer/introduction part.

I love Elon’s statement about FSD competition: game...set...match

If he is right in this—which I believe, the analysts will have to factor this into their calculations some day sooner than later.

Neither. #3 is the incorrect statement here. Tesla has obvious plans to use more cell capacity, including whoever they're contracting with for the Shanghai gigafactory.

The Shanghai factory is up and running at the earliest 2 quarters from now. We are looking at a gap of 15GWh on a yearly rate so 7.5GWh for two quarters. Please explain me which plans Tesla has to soak up 7.5GWh.

Yeah, I kinda agree. Moral and sympathy are not part of the economic equation.

However, I believe there's one massive difference between Tesla and all the examples you've listed above:

I'd say it was mostly ordinary people who hated MS, FB, Apple, AT&T, Exxon and co. They wanted to see them trip and fall, but they didn't – most likely because the Street stood firmly behind them.

With Tesla it's – for whatever reason – the media, Street and other powerful entities who want to bring it down. Completely different dynamics at play IMO.

That puts Tesla in a much better position than the aforementioned companies. The way that bad reputation hurts is through reduced purchases from ordinary consumers.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
Today seems like another bad day. Many here (including myself) have posted multiple times that if demand was an issue Tesla would pull leasing as a demand lever. Well, we are here. Further, margin compression seems to be continuing. I just spec'd a fully loaded P3D, red paint, white interior, FSD, etc. It was $71,000, today its $67,500. Yet another $3500 price drop. They have bundled AP at a 1k discount (yes its all margin), they have reduced M3 paint prices by $500, etc. To my eyes the skies look quite dark indeed. :(

Not to mention this doesn't make new M3 Tesla buyers feel great. Every person that has bought a M3 up to this point now feels as though they would have gotten a better deal had they held off on their purchase. My neighbor has two LR model 3s that I sold him on. I spoke with him last week and he told me how much he loved his cars, but that the price drops plus all of the bad press made him feel as though he may have made a mistake. He did talk in glowing terms about Tesla coming to his home to solve a couple of minor issues and was generally positive otherwise.

I understand this post will likely be met with comments ranging from "well what do you expect cars go down in value and technology makes things cheaper, to lowering the price helps the mission" etc etc. But the reality is we aren't producing cars at the rate necessary to give us remotely ideal margins. Demand is clearly a very real issue, and while we are facing these headwinds the company is being forced to slash Model 3 prices, offer leases and heavily discount the flagship models.

Please, someone, anyone, point me in the direction of something I can hang my hat on to stay invested in this company. Something that will resonate with a rational mind. Not TT007 style pipe dreams and speculation ala leased M3s becoming FSD taxi's someday. Maybe this will happen, but not in the near term.

Probably true, but it would be great if Tesla just owned that instead of all the games which make it seem like a leadership team that is winging it. In a matter of weeks, we have gone from "online is the future, we cannot afford a $35K car unless we close all the stores to lower our costs of sales" to "so, we still have a $35K car but you now have to go online or get on a phone to buy it (which inherently increases costs of saies, but ignore that)."

The $35K price point if an albatross of Tesla's own making. I'd like to see them just stick a fork in the $35K model going forward, commit to honor the price for anyone that had an existing reservation based on the availability of a $35K model (for good will and to avoid lawsuits), and then move on.

This is definitely weighing them down. I'm not sure if simply honoring reservation holders' orders would completely devoid the company of any legal liability. Tesla executed multiple capital raises on the promise of the mass-market $35,000 vehicle. Not sure whether or not that would come back to bite them but I think the PR and media fallout from cancelling said vehicle would be more of an issue.

• The comms team really needs to step it up. This isn't news, but it's actually getting worse on the official comms front, not better. I'm not even referring to the volume of changes--clearly the company is reacting in near real-time in an attempt to best balance production costs/efficiency and demand. But the communication is absolutely atrocious. For example, last night's announcement is not even internally consistent. Here's a direct quote: "All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option." No, they don't. Only the 3 reflects that change. S/X/Y still show it as an option, and a spokesperson has apparently confirmed to The Verge that it also doesn't apply to the 3 SR-. I put more effort into proofing my company announcements for consistency and accuracy than Tesla does, and I assure you that multiple orders of magnitude fewer people read mine. It's one thing for the individual company-to-customer comms to be as screwed up as they are (and to be sure, they still are--no reply to my voicemail to my service center from 8 days ago being just the latest of many for me personally), but for official blog posts to be this bad is a special kind of disorganization.
Tesla's communications are quite spectacularly bad, aren't they? And they won't get much better; if they were going to, they would have. This incompetence is baked into the corporate culture.

A really wild guess is that it knocks 10% off the value of the stock, permanently. So if you thought it was worth $400, it's worth $360.

Tl;dr - Tesla's doing their best, they're being responsive, but they really, really need to spend the minuscule amount of additional time to think through their announcements. It's a very good thing that the cars are amazing.

The Shanghai factory is up and running at the earliest 2 quarters from now. We are looking at a gap of 15GWh on a yearly rate so 7.5GWh for two quarters. Please explain me which plans Tesla has to soak up 7.5GWh.

Bluntly, backlog of Powerwall and Powerpack orders can use that. I don't know if they have the ability to build that many Powerwalls and Powerpacks, but they certainly have enough orders. Obviously other possibilities include the long-rumored move of S & X to 2170s, Semis, etc., but Powerpacks are the obvious one.

How do the M3 lease rates compare to the lease rates of the MS and MX?

While I am not well versed in this area (I've never leased). I've heard it said that a Tesla lease is almost always more expensive than leasing a comparably priced vehicle from another manufacturer. Many manufacturers likely use discounted leasing in the same way that they offer 0% financing. They take the hit on their margins and in exchange move more inventory.

It is a leap to get from 35GWh “capacity” for Pana (whatever that means) to a 35GWh take-or-pay commitment by Tesla. The offtake contract between Tesla and Pana was heavily redacted last time I looked. Have I missed an update?

The SEC made Tesla disclose it's purchase obligations towards it main suppliers and specifically Panasonic. For 2019 it's over $3B. Do the math with a $75/kWh price and you get >40GWh.

I’m disappointed with the leasing rates. Extremely high. I’m sure if it will increase demand though. What is causing the high rates though? Is it interest/MF? Residual? Anyone have a breakdown? I’m used to paying 1% a month 0 down for a car that I lease. Example: 60,000 car leased for $600/$0 down
You're used to getting lease rates which are massively subsidized by the manufacturer. Tesla does not engage in such money-losing shenanigans. They only offer *genuine* leases, which end up having the same effective interest costs as a loan.

By the way, all the manufacturers offering the subsidized leases are in extremely precarious financial positions because of them.

I agree. I don’t like black or bright white interiors, and was really happy that a “cream” premium interior was available for my MS. I suspect there are a lot of us around that like muted colors, especially when choosing “premium”.

I see that @Fact Checking pointed out that a Tesla ride-hailing fleet 3 years from now would not necessarily require full autonomy to be viable.

Also, why the **** is cream available in standard models but not performance??! On what planet does it make sense to give fewer options to your most premium buyers.

Tesla's communications are quite spectacularly bad, aren't they? And they won't get much better; if they were going to, they would have. This incompetence is baked into the corporate culture.

A really wild guess is that it knocks 10% off the value of the stock, permanently. So if you thought it was worth $400, it's worth $360.

I kind of agree, but on the other hand Tesla is currently operating in an unbelievably toxic communications and media environment where the CEO of the company gets ambushed by once respectable major news outlets like the NYT and CBS 60 Minutes.

"Not responding" might be the best PR option when any response will be spun against you.

Also, with even the smallest mistakes being ruthlessly amplified against you isn't it reasonable to communicate sparsely?

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the negativity is mostly artificial, and that such kind of situations rarely last.

To take a break from just ribbing you: I’m not sure how you see lack of demand in this. They raised prices on Model 3 almost across the board(everything except performance) and took the lowest priced model off menu entirely.

Well, the AWD - until now the cheapest Model 3 in Europe - with the typically taken EAP got cheaper, I believe by over 2k €.

It's true. Here in Wisconsin, some people are curious about Tesla's but not to the point where many are buying them. I've seen a few more on the streets since I bought my 85D model S in 2015, but they certainly haven't taken off here like BMW/Mercedes/Lexus.

The real pioneers moved west long ago.
So they do have cars in the midwest... GTK.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler