Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is Musk framing this as “Investor” Autonomy Day? And freeing “investors” from driving tyranny? Why not “car owners”? Is he going to propose that we car owners invest in Tesla Network by contributing our cars to the fleet and sharing in the network profits?

Would it be legally possible to make TSLA ownership a condition to be a member of the Tesla Network?

• Helpful
Reactions: PANN and Mobius484
One more take on the value of the FCA/Tesla partnership:

After correction by @generalenthu and confirmation from recent WSJ article
Tesla Won’t Solve Fiat Chrysler’s Problem for Long
it appears that "Super-Credits" are still part of the mix on helping EU automakers reach the post-2019 CO2 emission targets. Super-Credits are an attempt to encourage ZEV production and sales by amplifying their effect on emissions dilution for regulatory purposes: ZEVs are treated with a greater weight than one for the years 2020-2022 up to an emissions reduction of 7.5%. This makes these ZEVs extremely valuable from a penalty avoidance standpoint. Super-Credits phase out in 2023.

I've updated my model to show that effect. The set of curves shows the reduction in the FCA/Tesla pool's emission penalties as a function of ZEVs added to the pool (all Teslas since FCA has no ZEVs) for the years 2020-2023. The breaks in the slopes of the curves are where the Super-Credits have achieved the 7.5% emission reduction and ZEVs are back to being counted as a single vehicle.

The table breaks out the penalty reduction value of the ZEVs depending on whether they are under Super-Credit or not. Notice the extremely high penalty reduction value of the first 37,000 EU Teslas in 2020 - €21,000 per vehicle! This compares well with @generalenthu finding, but is now limited to the proper scope of the Super-Credits. Once outside that scope, the Teslas are worth €10,500 per vehicle for as many as Tesla can sell up to ~250,000 vehicle per year, at which point FCA's penalty should be nearly retired.

If this is all correct, it should form the basis for the value of Tesla's participation in the FCA pool.

Assumptions:
FCA Fleet = 912,000 vehicle/yr, FCA Emissions = 120 g/km per vehicle
FCA Emissions Target = 91 g/km per vehicle
EU Emissions penalty = €95 per g/km per vehicle

FCA Comps Super-Credit.jpg

Last edited:
This is the sort of advertising Tesla desperately needs.

That is a Tesla ad as much as it was a computer ad. If I were storyboarding it today, I’d use Ben Franklin with a Leyden Jar, Tesla himself, keep Bucky Fuller. Show prof. Feynman drumming, Alan Turing, Katherine Johnson, Stanley Kubrick, Bowie, and Carl Sagan. Myriad others we can mix and match (more every year, sadly).

Reactions: Jovian and Tslynk67
One more take on the value of the FCA/Tesla partnership:

After correction by @generalenthu and confirmation from recent WSJ article
Tesla Won’t Solve Fiat Chrysler’s Problem for Long
it appears that "Super-Credits" are still part of the mix on helping EU automakers reach the post-2019 CO2 emission targets. Super-Credits are an attempt to encourage ZEV production and sales by amplifying their effect on emissions dilution for regulatory purposes: ZEVs are treated with a greater weight than one for the years 2020-2022 up to an emissions reduction of 7.5%. This makes these ZEVs extremely valuable from a penalty avoidance standpoint. Super-Credits phase out in 2023.

I've updated my model to show that effect. The set of curves shows the reduction in the FCA/Tesla pool's emission penalties as a function of ZEVs added to the pool (all Teslas since FCA has no ZEVs) for the years 2020-2023. The breaks in the slopes of the curves are where the Super-Credits have achieved the 7.5% emission reduction and ZEVs are back to being counted as a single vehicle.

The table breaks out the penalty reduction value of the ZEVs depending on whether they are under Super-Credit or not. Notice the extremely high penalty reduction value of the first 37,000 EU Teslas in 2020 - €21,000 per vehicle! This compares well with @generalenthu finding, but is now limited to the proper scope of the Super-Credits. Once outside that scope, the Teslas are worth €10,500 per vehicle for as many as Tesla can sell up to ~250,000 vehicle per year, at which point FCA's penalty should be nearly retired.

If this is all correct, it should form the basis for the value of Tesla's participation the FCA pool.

View attachment 396511

Very nice!

What is the benefit to FCA to form the pool in 2019 already, if the penalties start in 2020 only? Is the 2019 emissions average the basis for the 2020 penalties?

Also, do you have any opinion on how the pooling deal might be structured: neither FCA nor Tesla knows exactly how many ZEVs Tesla is going to deliver in 2019. So how could FCA have paid "low triple digit hundreds of millions of euros" - is it an advance payment perhaps, based on delivery estimates?

In this case you are likely to choose the cheapest provider right? In the case of robo taxi availability matters too. It would be difficult for late comers to under cut the first one or two leaders in pricing.

Sure, but at that point, there are any number of criteria that might matter to people like pricing, availability in their area, ease-of-use of the app, safety (i.e. specify female driver), corporate responsibility, familiarity (advertising), etc. Regardless, what's not the list is quality of the AV stack.

Listen, I 100% agree Tesla had a advantage with AV both in terms of underlying technology and in terms of size and quality of their data sets (to the point no one may ever catch up to them any time soon). In that way, they have been a lot like AWS. However, technology advantage translating into a business advantage is not a given.

Reactions: neroden
That's the thing. IF it lives up to the hype. Tesla/Elon has cried wolf too many times with FSD over the years. It's now show me time. It needs to be a 3rd party verifiable, shipping product that is actually FSD, otherwise it's no different than previous future looking statements and "demo" videos from over the years.

I am a Tesla EV fan, but I didn't spring for FSD and I don't believe it will arrive in the near future. I would love to be wrong, but wouldn't bet on it or spend money on it. EAP will get smoother and pick up some new tricks, but true FSD isn't this year or next or even the year after IMHO. Not that anyone else will deliver a regulator approved general purpose FSD in that timeframe either.

Falcon Heavy was 5 years late, for various reasons, even though it was based heavily on Falcon 9 tech. I'd say double that for real FSD, so 2025 seems a good SWAG.
Yes, it will take years to get to FSD without a driver in the car. However, we are very likely a lot closer than you think to hands free driving. We are very nearly there on the highway. Once Tesla is able to verify the safety of highway self-driving, I would expect the nags to go away. That's already a huge step. Say I want to drive from Appleton to Chicago, roughly a 3 hour drive. I would need to drive the car 5 minutes to the freeway. It would then take over until the exit ramp in Chicago. Doing that hands-free would be invaluable. That is almost certainly coming by the end of this year. I think many people will pay $5k to have that. The next step will be autopilot driving on streets. That will take a while to evolve to being safe enough to eliminate the nags, meaning people won't have to have their hands on the wheel. Once that demonstrates a high safety level, we are there. There are certainly corner cases, but there are going to be ways around many of those. Some routes may not be available to FSD. Here in the midwest, weather will remain a huge factor, primarily in the winter. Even if you aren't required to keep hands on, you will need to be ready to take over if the sensors become obscured by snow.

Falcon Heavy was 5 years late, for various reasons, even though it was based heavily on Falcon 9 tech. I'd say double that for real FSD, so 2025 seems a good SWAG.

Oh *sugar*, I no longer can filter what this is... I will be mocked...

how long has it been since we've seen progress in rocketry at this scale? Von Braun... 50 years?

nb

check Papafox' recent post

Why is Musk framing this as “Investor” Autonomy Day? And freeing “investors” from driving tyranny? Why not “car owners”? Is he going to propose that we car owners invest in Tesla Network by contributing our cars to the fleet and sharing in the network profits?
If you buy an appreciating asset you are an investor

Sure, but they probably didn't think they needed 2.5 when they came with 2.0 and 3.0 was a glint in the designer's eye.

As 3.0 learns to process more and more data, 4.0 will follow, it has to. If they're clever then they'll get the AI to develop the next generation AI, and so it goes...

Good news is that they can offer an upgraded swap unit for existing owners for a reasonable fee, say $1500, which would represent a 500% margin on the build cost, so rather than being an issue, it can become a revenue source. I'd certainly pay for the latest-and-greatest every 2-4 years.

Agree with this completely. As a practical matter, I've heard nothing to suggest that they've let go of their front-end design team for HW3. I'm sure it would be news if they did. With HW3 in production, there is some work to do on the back-end (product engineering, apps, ...), but the system architects, front end RTL coders and custom memory folks are undoubtedly already working on the next generation. I've never seen a complex SoC roadmap stop after one generation due to 'perfection secured'.

Oh yeah forgot to mention the wad of chewing gum blocking that, sorry.

I don’t get it. We have hundreds of car sharing cars here (CPH) but also in major other cities. Never had an issue, even without internal cameras/sentry mode.

And if you get a car that would need cleaning you reject it per the app and note just that as reason...