Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it sounds to me like this is an education issue and not a hardware issue. Is it worth spending the money to develop, produce and distribute a less efficient, heavier, more expensive product or spend that money on expanding the charging network with faster level 3 chargers, all the while continuing to educate the public as to the reality of charging needs and available options? I certainly understand what you're saying but I think it is a counterproductive path to take.

Dan
People still don't wear seatbelts unless forced to. Massive education has been going on for fifty years along with fines and penalties and it hasn't worked all that well. People just don't believe that 300 miles is enough, and no amount of eduction will convince them otherwise. Besides the arguments that others have brought up, if you don't have at least three days of commuting range, you're in a poor position to cope with a power outage. People still don't want to use the far more efficient induction cooktops and electric ovens because they are scared of a power outage. I'd suggest that 400 miles is the minimum for widespread acceptance.

New wuwa video - continued incremental progress in construction :)

Wondering what these foundations that are visible at around 2:54 are about:

upload_2019-4-18_12-37-14.png

Deep foundations for heavy machinery like hydraulic press machines?

Wow, this thing is going up insanely fast! I wonder if Tesla has the mechanical lines ready to go to install once the structure is done? Looks like this is going to be in Tesla's hands sooner than later. Awesome to see!

Dan

My personal hypothesis is that Tesla has rented temporary space for pre-tooling (plenty of huge factory/warehouse buildings in China, some fraction of which will be vacant... could even be space in the US... even Lathrop, although I wouldn't put money on it....). So that when the building is ready, they can take down the lines and transfer them, rather than having to build them all from scratch.

But maybe they'll just build everything in-situ.

Demonstrative of our collective warped sense of reality is owning a car period. With respect to the efficiency of capital use it clearly supports that people will spend unwarranted sums of capital to immunize themselves from perceived corner cases such as the once a year road trip or the need to carry a lot of stuff almost never.
For many people it's more than once a year, and some do haul around a lot of stuff. The convenience and safety of having your own car rather than some questionable loaner that you are unfamiliar with is worth it to many people. Personally, I no longer fly unless there is a large body of water between myself and my destination because flying is now so inconvenient. Worse than taking a bus.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Let's assume a billionaire with a big project in mind comes to TSLA and orders all the batteries it can produce in an year and pays for them as if they were put in the cars (same margin). Does it sound like a good deal? If you think it does, please continue to discuss the topic of larger batteries in updated Model S/X. :rolleyes:

I think this is optimistic.

335 mi of range is sufficient for 99%+ of driving.

But people buy a car considering the “worst case scenario”. When they buy a car they will think about how easy it is to drive on road trips. They will think about loss in winter. And on the highway. And in the wind and rain.

I would estimate that about 40% of the US population would not get an EV until we hit about 450 mi of range.

Probably not until you hit about 500 mi will 100% of the population find it acceptable.

I know it sounds silly, but it’s my perception of where we need to be for 100% adoption.

That still leaves a lot of EVs to sell though.
Not silly, but realistic when considering wind, rain, snow and high or no speed limits plus heavy loads. For real world minimal anxiety 500 miles EPA would equate to around 300 miles dependable no-stop range. With a continuing expansion of charging choices that would work for 99%, but even then there will be use cases that will not suit EV.

Oh, and to anyone who's baffled as to why TSLAQ on Twitter has taken to dressing in a specific type of clown wig and red nose, and sometimes saying "honk honk" - it's an alt-right meme:

White Nationalists Adopt Clowns as Their Next Racist Symbol (Yes, Seriously) | Right Wing Watch
Clown Pepe / Honk Honk / Clown World | Know Your Meme

Example, for those who don't spend time on Twitter:

View attachment 398003

I can only *hope* that the vast majority of them have no clue that it's an alt-right meme that they adopted, and that they only adopted it because they saw fellow TSLAQ members using it. Sadly, I may be giving them too much credit...

Different hair, but still a bunch of Bozos...
See also Urban Dictionary: Bozo
Bozo is a name that references someone who has failed to achieve any level of formal education and is easily lead and influenced by anyone who appears sympathetic. Bozo will, because of their lack of of understanding of the english language, try and engage in conversation, but in almost all cases, will become irritated and abusive due to not understanding what is being said to them. A Bozo will make up stories about their achievements, but everyone knows that they are just fabrications. A Bozo is not smart enough to know that their lies have been discovered and will continue on prosecuting the lie.

As to your first bullet...

My wife and I had the pleasure or visiting your beautiful country last year. This was our very first trip to Europe (I know, we need to get out more). The first and most profound thing I noticed was the difference in how, what and how often people drive. We were in Rome and the VAST majority of cars we saw were Smart Car sized vehicles. Granted this was an urban environment but still it was fascinating to watch Romans go about their business in, what we Americans would consider, micro cars. The driving environment is different. The refueling infrastructure is different. The entire approach to transportation is different. We always tend to believe that what we are used to is the way it is throughout the world. It's not.

Dan

I was in Rome the other day, and it's an environment on it's own: Rome is by far the biggest city in Italy, and if you count the suburbs is populated more than Norway or Finland...
If they could manage to take care of the carghing infrastructure, in Rome you could sell hundred thousands electric scooters, micro cars, and even Teslas: there are thousands of taxis and "blue cars", as we call cars for politicians, diplomats, executives and the like. The weather would be good for photovoltaic too.
Rome has no functioning public transport, so car is mandatory: acustic and air pollution is a big problem. Car sharing (even EVs) seems to work a bit.

I doesn't seem like Norway has a problem with EVs at all. Maybe there are also measures that might serve to lengthen useful range that don't depend on more energy storage capacity, akin to pre-heating batteries before supercharging? As a percentage of vehicles sold, hence assisting the ark of EV production and evolution that ultimately benefits everyone, priorities will favor the "easy pickings".
Norway is not Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Montana. From what I can see, many scenic roads in Norway are are along the coast where it is relatively mild.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Not sure whether this was posted here already:

(Reuters) Exclusive: Apple in talks with potential suppliers of sensors for self-driving cars - sources

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc has held talks with at least four companies as possible suppliers for next-generation lidar sensors in self-driving cars, evaluating the companies’ technology while also still working on its own lidar unit, three people familiar with the discussions said."

"The moves provide fresh evidence of Apple’s renewed ambitions to enter the autonomous vehicle derby, an effort it calls Project Titan. The talks are focused on next-generation lidar, a sensor that provides a three-dimensional look at the road."

"Apple is seeking lidar units that would be smaller, cheaper and more easily mass produced than current technology, the three people said. The iPhone maker is setting a high bar with demands for a “revolutionary design,” one of the people familiar with the talks said. The people declined to name the companies Apple has approached."

"The sensor effort means Apple wants to develop the entire chain of hardware to guide autonomous vehicles and has joined automakers and investors in the race to find winning technologies"

"Current lidar systems, including units from Velodyne Inc mounted on Apple’s fleet of self-driving test vehicles, use laser light pulses to render precise images of the environment around the car. But the systems can cost $100,000 and use mechanical parts to sweep the laser scanners across the road."​

I.e. Apple's Project Titan is still pursuing the LIDAR dead-end.

So Tesla is still the only game in town with a good chance to mass-manufacture low cost FSD technologies.

I suspect at this point the best investment Apple could do is to buy Tesla and reunite all the ex Tesla employees with current Tesla employees. ;)

Wondering what these foundations that are visible at around 2:54 are about:

View attachment 398006

Deep foundations for heavy machinery like hydraulic press machines?

Both the foundations and the increased height of the building in this area fits with this theory. The building may even be a bit higher above the presses - note how the area is currently unroofed and steel columns are heavier.

You don’t have access to TXU? It’s their “Solar Days Free Nights” plan that I’m trying out for a year.

Granted, their daytime rates are higher than my old plan ($0.16+$0,04 distro vs $0.10+$0,04 distro) but free night mean if 35% or more of my usage is at night, I come out ahead.

It’s pretty weird to wrap your head around literally free energy for driving. And free independent of how much you drive (up to 9 hours of Tesla charging per night, ~100 kWhr). I even thought about installing Powerwalls and charging them at night for free. :)

But this is just a pricing distortion due to the over-abundance of wind at night. When some really smart guy starts installing Megapacks out in the Panhandle and Trans-Pecos , I expect this will go away.
BTW, another Texas coal-fired power plant closure:
Texas coal plant to shut down by 2020

That's five in three years.

Not on the highway it doesn't.
Perhaps 400 to 200 is an overstatement - but not by far. For my P85D it was 250 (summer) down to 150 (winter). For my P3D- it is 300 down to 190. I have a 180-190 mile trip I do frequently - this means with the P85D in winter I had to turn heating down to 65F (from my usual 73) and speed down to 60 mph (from ~70-75 mph - typical traffic speed in the area). With the P3D I keep my usual temp and speed, but I barely make the trip - in fact I had to supercharge once as I had 3 passengers and the range plummeted.

A denser SC network would be nice, but it would not make me exceedingly happy to get out in -20F and hook the charging cable. I would also be confined to the SC, as walking from where the SC is located to the nearest store in that cold is no fun either.

Then you have the airport trip - in their infinite wisdom, Minneapolis airport provides 8 stalls for L2 charging - which are constantly taken. Why in the world would I need to charge in 8 hours to full if I am flying out for at least couple days is beyond me. There is no 110V outlet to plug in for the trickle charge - which would be what is needed to keep the charge / replenish at the slow rate when gone. Range loss is 5-10 miles /24 hours, depending on how cold it is. That means no Tesla when we go for a 1 week trip in winter, as there will be not enough to return home without supercharging - it is only a 20 mile detour to do that :(.

So yes, cannot wait for the 400+ miles Tesla. And I say this after 5 years and 3 Tesla's. Also this is why for me the competition BEVs are so hopelessly inadequate.

I was in Rome the other day, and it's an environment on it's own: Rome is by far the biggest city in Italy, and if you count the suburbs is populated more than Norway or Finland...
If they could manage to take care of the carghing infrastructure, in Rome you could sell hundred thousands electric scooters, micro cars, and even Teslas: there are thousands of taxis and "blue cars", as we call cars for politicians, diplomats, executives and the like. The weather would be good for photovoltaic too.
Rome has no functioning public transport, so car is mandatory: acustic and air pollution is a big problem. Car sharing (even EVs) seems to work a bit.
My understanding is that every time they try to build a subway line they run into some 2000 year old relic that needs 6 months of excavation and research. So any construction takes forever

Apple could well be
Not sure whether this was posted here already:

(Reuters) Exclusive: Apple in talks with potential suppliers of sensors for self-driving cars - sources

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc has held talks with at least four companies as possible suppliers for next-generation lidar sensors in self-driving cars, evaluating the companies’ technology while also still working on its own lidar unit, three people familiar with the discussions said."

"The moves provide fresh evidence of Apple’s renewed ambitions to enter the autonomous vehicle derby, an effort it calls Project Titan. The talks are focused on next-generation lidar, a sensor that provides a three-dimensional look at the road."

"Apple is seeking lidar units that would be smaller, cheaper and more easily mass produced than current technology, the three people said. The iPhone maker is setting a high bar with demands for a “revolutionary design,” one of the people familiar with the talks said. The people declined to name the companies Apple has approached."

"The sensor effort means Apple wants to develop the entire chain of hardware to guide autonomous vehicles and has joined automakers and investors in the race to find winning technologies"

"Current lidar systems, including units from Velodyne Inc mounted on Apple’s fleet of self-driving test vehicles, use laser light pulses to render precise images of the environment around the car. But the systems can cost $100,000 and use mechanical parts to sweep the laser scanners across the road."​

I.e. Apple's Project Titan is still pursuing the LIDAR dead-end.

So Tesla is still the only game in town with a good chance to mass-manufacture low cost FSD technologies.

I suspect at this point the best investment Apple could do is to buy Tesla and reunite all the ex Tesla employees with current Tesla employees. ;)

Apple will still need to crack vision as any autonomous vehicle will still use cameras in addition to other sensors.

They could well be working on multiple solutions in parallel.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I'm going to reply to some posts out-of-order, don't mind me.

What competition??? No other EV out there is competitive with the current version of the S/X.
Tesla isn't competing in the EV market, Tesla is competing in the car market.

So, for a luxury sedan with similar passenger volume (although significantly less cargo volume) and performance, the BMW M550i xDrive has 360 mi EPA combined range, 450 mi EPA highway range. A Model S 100D is 335 mi combined range (and as combined and highway efficiency are the same, 102 MPGe, it's also 335 mi highway range). (I chose the 5-Series because it's the best selling in its size class right now.)

For a SUV with similar passenger volume and performance, I would use the Audi Q7, but there isn't a comparable performance model in the US market, so the BMW X7 xDrive50i will have to do (still slower, but...), with 372 mi EPA combined range, 460 mi EPA highway range. This is through a bigger fuel tank, but compared to the Model X 100D's 295 mi EPA combined range and 302 mi EPA highway range...

So, there's absolutely a range deficit (and it's worse in the situation where range actually matters, highway driving) compared to the luxury cars that they're competing against... but it gets worse.

The EV has to be recharged instead of refueled, and even though the Supercharger network is good, it's not as pervasive as gas stations, and it's not as fast as refueling. So far, it seems that this hasn't mattered - most people are willing to lose a few minutes every few hours - but if you're trying to get everyone converted, you'll eventually have to address this somehow. Increasing range (whether it's through reducing drag, improving powertrain efficiency, putting a bigger battery in, or all three) helps both issues - you have to stop less often, and you increase maximum charging rate in MPH (if it's through reducing drag and/or improving powertrain efficiency, this is improved for all phases of charging, whereas putting a bigger battery in improves peak rate).

Of course, we all know that in daily driving, this doesn't matter at all. Average commute 40 miles round trip, etc., etc. But on road trips, it means the ICE is faster, unless you've built long stops in anyway, and those stops have a Supercharger near them.

We need faster charging and a denser fast charging network.
Bigger batteries are ecological nonsense, since they require more energy for ALL of your kilometers (due to the extra weight), while only solving a problem that only exists for a small number of your kilometers.

I’m pretty sure that if gas stations were spaced 100km apart, people would also think they need a bigger fuel tank.
I agree with improving charging performance (which SCv3 does), albeit I don't want it to be at the cost of damaging the packs (I suspect some manufacturers are willing to just fry their packs with too-fast charging), as well as increasing the pervasiveness of Superchargers (especially putting them in areas with good restaurants - a lot of people won't be happy with being forced into a choice between gas station fast food and Applebee's, this came up with a friend that I was trying to convince that a 3 LR RWD is suited to a road trip that he regularly did, we could make the whole trip barely work to his liking... except for his lunch stop, where the location of the Morgantown, WV Supercharger made it impractical to eat at good restaurants in town, instead forcing a choice between Sheetz and Denny's).

But, this isn't an argument against big batteries. (I mean, really, you're arguing for the ~24 kWh packs common in early/mid 2010s compliance cars here, because they have enough range to cover most daily commutes, and then just slamming them with fast charges on road trips every 80 miles.)

Big batteries do create more manufacturing emissions... but this may be offset by lower degradation (operating in a narrower SoC window during normal driving). The other issue with big batteries is the weight, but battery weight specifically tends to be less harmful to efficiency - cars regularly travel at speeds where aerodynamic drag effects vastly outweigh any rolling resistance effects of the added weight, and regenerative braking partially offsets the added weight as well (and the larger battery is more able to take high regen power).

Big batteries are one of the easier ways to enable higher charging speeds - you can do things with cell manufacturing processes to reduce internal resistance and increase charging speed (at the expense of capacity, and it's not any lighter), and you can switch chemistries to a chemistry suited to low density/high power operation, something like A123's nanophosphate LiFePO4 cells or LTO cells, but with reductions in energy density, you now have to add more cells to maintain range! Just adding more high energy cells, OTOH, gives you good power while also giving you better range.

Additionally, as I understand, a significant part of the Raven not-a-refresh range increases will be through efficiency gains, and that improves everything.

Customers will tell BEV automakers when bigger becomes unnecessarily big.

Some Prius customers very much like having a car with 600-650 miles of range.

People buy diesel vehicles with 700 miles of range.

Some Prius owners insist they will never buy a BEV until there is one with at least 500 miles of range.

When customers refuse to pay for an even larger pack then automakers will know the top end.

An even bigger pack also means the charging times for 100 miles or 200 miles of range shrink.
There is a treadmill of range here, that will likely stop before satisfying the extreme outliers, but they'll have to learn to deal with it, ultimately.

I'm thinking of people like the 1996-1997 VW Passat Wagon TDI owners on TDIClub that do the "ventectomy". From the 1980s through the mid 2000s, VW diesel fuel tanks had a chamber for evaporative emissions left over from the gasoline fuel tank assemblies, with a valve in the filler neck that the fuel cap opened. This wasn't needed in diesels (the fuel doesn't really evaporate), so a common enthusiast practice was to remove that valve, so it was always open, and you could fill that chamber with fuel, usually a couple gallons. In those old Passat wagons, however, you could get about 9 gallons in there, on top of the 18.5 gallon rated capacity, getting 1155 miles of highway range. Combine that with a bit of hypermiling, and there were people bragging about getting 1400 miles range on those cars.

...of course, the successor cars to those didn't have the vent, so they ended up having to suck it up and only get 700-800 mi highway range.

Tesla chose the 70mm dimension. Suppose for a moment that 70mm was chosen because it was the tallest cell that permitted direct pack substitution. I.e. We are supposing that Tesla calculated they could shave 5mm off the pack height elsewhere.

If that was a factor in choosing that cell height, it’s a factor that could never be openly discussed. Osborne.
Doubtful - cell manufacturers were already beginning to standardize on 20700 and 21700 cells for higher energy density applications. So, Tesla was merely following the market in a direction that they saw as favorable for their applications.