Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the impact of a BEV is so much less than an ICE, it's still a gain. Bear in mind almost everything in a battery is recyclable, which most studies don't take into account. Car batteries are not throw away items. There are almost zero instances of gas stations having charging in North America, and there are few indications that this will change. The few that do either have one, or at most two, charging stalls unless they have a Tesla Supercharger with its multiple stalls. There are very few gas station/Supercharger locations, I've seen one in my travels to perhaps one hundred Supercharger locations.

The big issue I see is that North America is not Europe--the best solutions are going to be somewhat different for each. The best explanation I've heard is that in North America one hundred years is a long time; in Europe one hundred miles is a long way.

A few corrections:

Currently lithium batteries are not economically recyclable, unless they have a lot of cobalt. Most Tesla's batteries do not contain cobalt. Tesla's Cobalt Usage To Drop From 3% Today To 0%, Elon Commits | CleanTechnica

Lead acid batteries are easily and economically recycled. Over 90% of lead acid batteries are recycled.

Wawa and Sheetz gas stations/convenience stores have Superchargers. I stopped at several last month on a trip to Florida. 6 Retailers Working With Tesla on EV Charging Stations. Tesla is actively looking for gas station/convenience store partners.

Just want to elaborate on cash position. They ended Q1 with $2.2B. 2weeks earlier, when they had delivered half of the cars for the quarter, ie ~40k cars less delivered cars for an ASP of ~$60k they clearly had even less cash... Do the math... This was cutting it pretty close, not a very comfortable position to be in. I guess they realized this and decided to not do that again. So they will smooth out deliveries to not have as many cars in transit, thus they will not have that bad of a cash position. But if they increase vehicles in transit at end of quarter to smooth out the wave it might get worse at the end of the quarter, but it will not be as bad as it was mid March. However for people only looking at ER it might look bad, as they are not aware of how much worse it was two weeks before ER... Including dilution they intend to be cash flow positive in Q2, as long as that is true it will not get worse.

Imo it seems like bad strategy what Tesla is doing. They are winning, their cars are great, they are improving rapidly, they have a great position to be a major player in autonomous ride sharing race, and many long term bets that could pay off in the future. Why complicate things by having such an aggressive strategy which risks everything and makes everything so much more complicated and extra mess they don’t need. They could have delivered P3D/LR AWD to Europe/China starting in Q4, removed referral program earlier, not cut S/X prices as aggressively in Q1, done the retooling for S/X new battery pack in Q2 etc. No need to do everything in the worst quarter for them...
Good analysis. Really close indeed on cash. Unless they got and closed a short term loan within Q1?

Seems like Tesla is making a point of going for headlines. Best monthly sales of any car ever in some small country where reservation holders literally go to wait 3 years and even then they tried to delivery way, WAY more all in one month.
They don't need that drama. How hard would it have been to start export earlier, do it for Performance only, and let buyers wait a bit longer after spec'ing? But, but...the US tax credit!! Yeah, what about the does business lease credit and various other incentives?

It went from "we're going to build GF3 and GF4 pronto from profits and not take on any debt or issue stock" to "OK, we'll borrow for China and then see where it goes with the whole GF4 thing".

I can't figure out why 2170 cell supply is allowed to be a bottle neck. Online, people have offered various reasons why 18Q2 they were cell limited (really, before that, ask Powerwall customers), but all make Tesla look like fools. Not enough factory space to place machines the size of a few trucks each, was my favorite.
It's a matter of adding lines, especially if (surprise, surprise) they are less productive each. Did Tesla squeeze Panasonic too thin and in light of a booming battery business is Panasonic no longer bowing to Tesla's every wish?

End of quarter cash was $2.2B, but Tesla delivered nearly half of the cars this quarter in the last 10 days, representing over $2B revenue only coming in quite late in the quarter. It might have been that the inter-quarter cash as I calculated it halfway through here was even an overestimation...

Interestingly, interest income rose slightly between Q4 and Q1, more or less in line with a slight increase in returns on safe short term investments. That implies that inter-quarter cash for Q4 and Q1 were very comparable. Yet end-of-quarter cash reported is dramatically different ($3.7B versus $2.2B). Any thoughts on how to square these two facts?

Bond repayment of 900 million was March 1st, so did not impact 2/3 of the time available for interest.
Depending on the receivables vs payables on the supplier side, they have not have needed to draw down to pay bills till late in the quarter.

To those that imply the Model S needs a visual update in order to sustain demand: I can't disagree more.

Look at Porsche 911 models throughout the years. Most of them look similar, some even look identical. The exterior has only changed very gradually whilst the performance was improved time and time again, making the 911 fans drool.

The Model S is a similar story: slight visual changes (nosecone for example) but many performance upgrades, making certain current Model S owners want the newest version.
Then why aren't they buying?

Which is probably why they made AP standard.
The official reason is to get more FSD learning data, right?
If demand is fine and profits sparse, why even introduce SR(+)?
Zero RHD Model 3's have been built while something like 1/3 of he world drives right. All expect to first see fully optioned cars. And people would happily pay $70-80K before all the price cuts. These cars are of course not about making BEVs affordable to many. SR(+) though seems to be curbing progress now in a climate of self-funded expansion.

To those that imply the Model S needs a visual update in order to sustain demand: I can't disagree more.

Look at Porsche 911 models throughout the years. Most of them look similar, some even look identical. The exterior has only changed very gradually whilst the performance was improved time and time again, making the 911 fans drool.

The Model S is a similar story: slight visual changes (nosecone for example) but many performance upgrades, making certain current Model S owners want the newest version.

Partially agree, but remember, people buy a Porsche to buy a "Storied brand™" that they had posters of on their walls when they were kids, people buy a Tesla for the world-beating technology.

Reactions: Mobius484
A few corrections:

Currently lithium batteries are not economically recyclable, unless they have a lot of cobalt. Most Tesla's batteries do not contain cobalt. Tesla's Cobalt Usage To Drop From 3% Today To 0%, Elon Commits | CleanTechnica

Lead acid batteries are easily and economically recycled. Over 90% of lead acid batteries are recycled.

Wawa and Sheetz gas stations/convenience stores have Superchargers. I stopped at several last month on a trip to Florida. 6 Retailers Working With Tesla on EV Charging Stations. Tesla is actively looking for gas station/convenience store partners.

Did you see Tesla's recycling of their batteries in the Impact report?

Good to see there is some progress on gas station Superchargers. I have seen only one. I haven't traveled to Florida though.

What about dimpled door handles?
Dimples are a great solution for when air can come from an arbitrary angle. Not so great for when you know where the air is coming from. They spoil the airflow, creating vortices that can help reduce a low pressure wake immediately after them. But that's the opposite of what you want on a long, flat side.
blogentry-60387-1298004530.jpg

Then why aren't they buying?
They're buying every car that Tesla makes. If you're wondering why Tesla isn't building more, my guess it's because they updated the S/X design (*confirmed) and updated and automated the S/X production lines (**speculation).

* EXCLUSIVE: 2019 Tesla Model S Review: From SF to LA on One Charge? - MotorTrend

** IMO likely given they laid off a big chunk of the S/X production staff in January and appear to have worked through whatever issues were present in the 3 lines, leaving Grohmann/Perbix with more time to work on other things

I agree on the point that the 50% delivery in last 10days was one of the riskiest situations for the company. I mean it seems they were totally flat footed for the first few weeks of the quarter.

Given they are smoother now, I think we avoided what could have been a major disaster.

This highlights the point that we need more capital. Although now is not the best time for secondary. Basically Tesla has to aggressively build up cash from operations, and hopefully from debt capital or strategic partnerships like FCA.

Q1 is apparently a bad q exacerbated by poor planning/pricing. Blaming is pointless. But we can surely improve from what went wrong. I think Elon is more of an engineer than an operation guy. So he should delegate more planning power to the operation executives. Even a special team should be established to focus on the operational planning.

Let's start the root cause analysis by looking at the current S3X US inventory. Most large metros, so many S, few X and almost no 3.

1. Since S and X share the same line. How could they not foresee and still did not adjust the production rate of S/X? Another solution is pricing X higher because X has so low inventory.

2. There is almost no inventory of 3 in US or there is an IT glitch to show the real number?

3. As Heltok pointed out, they should start producing euro/china m3 at latest around Dec 26. And the supplier delay means the supply contracts were not drafted correctly because if you give enough negative incentive/penalty, the supplier would've tried their best to provide ahead of the schedule.

4. It was obvious that very limited sales would happen in Jan and Feb due to seasonality and tax credit sales pull ahead, NOT due to no demand. Lowering price so much in US was pointless because it hurts margin so much and did not help with sales a lot. Especially in Europe, they should not lower price in first quarter at all! Elon's idea to sell 3 with similar revenue per car for same trim is wrong wrong wrong. You have to price it according to the local competition to maximize your margin/cash flow.

5. The mission is to maximize the delivery of EV in a 5-10 year time frame, not every quarter. So to maximize the profit at the current low cash on hand stage is a must. Considering there was more European high trim orders waiting to be fulfilled, more production should be allocated for European m3. If this was decided correctly, there should be much less US inventory in the middle of Q1 and the pricing would not have to be lowered so much.

6. They should start increasing M3 price a little gradually. This actually will create more short-term demand because people would want to buy to get the lower price. Or introducing special delivery fee for 3 and X to help fulfill order of people who want it ASAP. Anything to increasing margin. Cost cutting only is not enough.

7. If the bottleneck is battery cell and they prefer sales of SR+ to LR, then simply raise the LR price compared with SR+.

In conclusion, Q1 flop was not due to demand, but due to supply chain, production, logistics, planning, resource allocation and pricing.

Last edited:
Part of the bond sales was recorded to equity on a speculative basis due to the accounting for conversion features. Paying off the bond was then reduction in equity, and due to the elimination of most forms of "other comprehensive income" in a recent GAAP change, it ended up in operating cash flow. I think that's right! (Sigh. The accounting rules here are ugly and I may be totally wrong)

The revenue from the car was originally reduced by the allowance for the resale value guarantee, i.e. the booked revenue was revenue - (expected value of buyback). The expected buybacks just increased -- they expect more people to take advantage of the resale value guarantee-- so it has to be booked as a retroactive reduction in revenue, which is accumulated and dumped on the balance sheet this quarter.

They expect more people to use the RVG because the market value of their old cars just dropped with the price cuts to the comparable new versions of Model S and X. In fact, I expect to see a second charge like this in Q2 due to the introduction of the "new" Model S and X reducing the value of the old Model S and X again.
Yes, but... throughout the industries that have leasing or financing options with residual value specified or a resale value guarantee there are a variety of ways to recognize changing market conditions. The net is that under GAAP it is very easy to change timing of loss (expense) or gain (profit) depending on quite easily varied assumptions. Thus, since Q1 was a loss anyway, it was opportune to 'expense the kitchen sink'. Had the quarter not been a loss they would probably not have done this. As for repeating the charges in a future quarter, there is almost certainly no basis at all to expect any such change to be repeated.

FWIW, currently permitted practices for residual value expensing include some quite dramatic differences:
1. Residual Value Subvention- recognizes an expected loss as cost of sales, booked as such when the lease is written;
2. Model Change expensing- much less common, but perfectly permissible under GAAP is to recognize a loss at the time of some major model change. this was once common, but now tends not to be used much;
3. Loss recognized after major negative event- whenever some catastrophic event happens (e.g. airplane crashes due to flaw) lessors can change resale assumptions, thus recognizing losses on residual values. When this happens it tends to be associated with a need to avoid taxes somewhere, and such losses do reduce income.
4. Recognize gain/loss as time of lease termination. This is the most common method for auto leases, and tends to produce gains, on average, because ~half of all leases are terminated early, thus terminating the Residual Value entirely, while another ~quarter of them terminate with some penalties (e.g. condition, excess driving, unauthorized modifications) so the actual end of term exposure tends to be modest.

In the case of Tesla actual exposures to residual value and resale guarantee losses provide an excellent opportunity to improve future results at the cost of a higher loss in this quarter.

I have not yet examined the detailed Q1 results. I'll happily make a large wager that there are a large number of timing events that brought forward losses and deferred income. I also think they will do what they can to do that again in Q2. When the PR is vastly worse than reality there is no advantage to recognize any gain at all that can be deferred.

In Q2 there are already very obvious ways to take expenses that could, if desired, be capitalized or otherwise deferred. Expenses associated with GF-3, Model Y, Model S and X, TE deals, Panasonic/Maxwell etc...there will be a long list. Taking a large amount of such expenses up front will be of great benefit in future quarters. Finally, it is obvious that they can simply recognize no FSD income.

All those things might well have trivial consequences to raising new capital on good terms.

The share price is a major issue, of course, but really is being overblown precisely because of FUD, competitors, dealers and shorts. All those are gleeful. For us it is painful. Once production, delivery and service/support have stabilized during the next few months we'll see steady improvement.

2020 will be a pretty good year for us, 2019 probably will end well, but only late in the year.

Obviously, my outlook has changed.

I agree on the point that the 50% delivery in last 10days was one of the riskiest situations for the company. I mean it seems they were totally flat footed for the first few weeks of the quarter.

Given they are smoother now, I think we avoided what could have been a major disaster.

This highlights the point that we need more capital. Although now is not the best time for secondary. Basically Tesla has to aggressively build up cash from operations, and hopefully from debt capital or strategic partnerships like FCA.

Elon has a tendency to go for all in when it comes to strategies. Someone else should be handling this part.

Reactions: bdy0627

Yeah, a major delivery hiccup during those last 10 days could have been truly disasterous.... I'm glad they're getting rid of the "wave".

• Love
Reactions: davecolene0606