Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super duper unreliable. Actually garbage. They said 80k Model 3s were produced in Q1
Per week.
S and X on
I can do a 300 mile drive much faster with a 100kWh battery that requires zero stops than a 40kWh battery that requires 2 or 3 stops.

All your concerns are temporary. What we have today was unimaginable 10 years ago. Maybe in 10 more years we'll have 500 miles of range that charges in 5 minutes and costs less than ICE. We don't know where the breakthroughs will come from, but we can be fairly certain that they will come.
It's valid for that one 300 mile drive. In reality, drives are either much smaller or much longer.
And who DOES that, 300 miles without stopping? In an ideal case you'll be stopping once in the 40 kWh econobox and you will HAVE to stop if you're a safe driver in the 300 mile car as well.
Depending on the speed limit you decide to adhere to, the 300 mile car may actually need to hold back a bit to make it without stopping. A car that charges along the way and does so quickly, can keep higher speed and make better time.

Anyway, people like you are why manufacturers need to step it up. Crazy corner cases that are quite hypothetical, just to excuse an enormous environmental strain from a needlessly large pack, for bragging right and misplace range anxiety. They medicine is more chargers (complain with political parties and municipalities, provinces) and faster charging cells.
Roadster will be the worst of all. 200 kWh for cars that will see less than half the mileage of econoboxes. Might was well dump all our waste into the ocean straight up.

I stopped posting VIN reservations, but Tesla just reserved 40k VINS, 40% dual, 47% international:
While I don't want to read too much into VINs, I like "47% international" -- I want to read it as a sign that they really are unwinding the "wave" methodology. Previously we'd get an all-US VIN registration, then an all-Europe VIN registration, etc.

Not sure if already mentioned but it seems the FCA deal is $140M over the next 2 to 3 years. For those doing cash balance projections, this seems to be a one time item only.
I assume you assume this because of the $140M in the 10Q? But what justification do you have for thinking that this is a one-time payment, or that it's over multiple years? The pooling agreement is for only one year, even though it could have specified multiple years.

Yes, and bulls here who are super optimistic need to have conservative thinking about Maxwell. It is probably not going to be integrated any time soon and probably doesn't even work yet, but shows promise.

What is your basis for saying "probably"? There is risk with all new technology, but Tesla has a well established track record of bringing leading edge tech to the market in its products.

Maxwell has DEMONSTRATED 1.2x capacity in 15 Ahr sided pouch cells. JB Straubel is personally involved with overseeing battery tech. Tesla would not be buying Maxwell if this tech wasn't real.

As Elon said on the Q1 call, Tesla will hold a "battery day" some time later this year or next. Thats the current expectations of us super bulls. "Probably doesn't even work yet" is a TSLAQ fantasy and FUD talking point.

So lets see. Because Tesla can't provide parts and half your cars are not working you have to shut down entire business that also operates other car types.

Wow. Call me crazy, but if half my cars still work fine and people want to rent them then I should rent them instead of letting them sit there and collect dust. You know...businesses exist to make money.

Also, maybe if other cars that don't have "Tesla" in the name still work I rent them too if people want them instead of pouting because I can't get Tesla parts.

This is like saying I have two cars at home and one is broken down and I cant get it fixed, so screw it, I am not going to drive the other one either.

This all sounds like made up.

Yes, and bulls here who are super optimistic need to have conservative thinking about Maxwell. It is probably not going to be integrated any time soon and probably doesn't even work yet, but shows promise.

That's a valid point. New product/process requires time and testing before getting into large scale production. On the other hand, Tesla probably researched before acquiring Maxwell. Plus they probably continued the work while waiting for deal to close. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the things get into next year's batteries.

Tesla is approaching the goal of million mile drive train + million mile battery pack. People should consider this when they purchase new cars. Buying/leasing a new ICE vehicle every 5~8 years is very costly, also gasoline cost and maintenance cost is substantial.

Seems like if you were having that big an issue with the 3s you would have taken them out of service and sold them for sometimg else (especially if you had other makes of cars too). If you went out of business why are you using your last $$ to buy a billboard adv.? If I was your creditor I would have some issues with that.

Stop with all that logical nonsense.

OT

Anyway, people like you are why manufacturers need to step it up. Crazy corner cases that are quite hypothetical, just to excuse an enormous environmental strain from a needlessly large pack, for bragging right and misplace range anxiety.
Yeah, well, that's humanity for you. If not for human psychology, we'd be dealing with our environmental problems by (a) changing zoning laws and (b) building electric trains. Instead, we have to build electric cars carrying batteries around (much more wasteful), and we have to build electric cars with more range than most people need most of the time.

Go read _The Gods Themselves_ by Isaac Asimov, then get back to me. Until you've read it, you should not talk about this topic.

How does it deal with bug impacts? (along with gravel thrown by truck in front)

Yup. Just TRY driving with your eyes 18 inches above the road. TRY not to get run over by that sanding truck sliding around an icy corner that you didn't see until its too late with your head down in the muck. This isn't going to work, and its not safe.

There's a reason Tesla puts its forward facing camera in the rear-view mirror housing: better visibility.

Beyond, "it's a possibility more payments will follow", not seeing a lot of arguments either way in your other comments. That's why I wrote 'seems'. We'll know more next quarter.

Oh. OK, yes, "it's a possibility more payments will follow". It's a *likely* possibility. All the insider leaks indicated the FCA contract was for more than $140 million, therefore I believe it is for more than $140 million.

I was also pointing out that the language saying the revenue wouldn't be recognized for a long time was probably simply due to the performance requirements of the contract not being verifiable until the EU regulators issue their pronouncement on fines, so even if this is a payment just for 2019, they might not be able to recognize revenue until late 2020 or even later (depending on how slow regulators are).

What is your basis for saying "probably"? There is risk with all new technology, but Tesla has a well established track record of bringing leading edge tech to the market in its products.

Maxwell has DEMONSTRATED 1.2x capacity in 15 Ahr sided pouch cells. JB Straubel is personally involved with overseeing battery tech. Tesla would not be buying Maxwell if this tech wasn't real.

As Elon said on the Q1 call, Tesla will hold a "battery day" some time later this year or next. Thats the current expectations of us super bulls. "Probably doesn't even work yet" is a TSLAQ fantasy and FUD talking point.

I'm simply preaching conservatism. I'm super bullish on Tesla long-term, but the path to be walked is not easy.

I have not read anything about demonstrated 1.2x capacity. Would you mind sharing a link?

Reactions: neroden and bdy0627
That's a valid point. New product/process requires time and testing before getting into large scale production. On the other hand, Tesla probably researched before acquiring Maxwell. Plus they probably continued the work while waiting for deal to close. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the things get into next year's batteries.

Tesla is approaching the goal of million mile drive train + million mile battery pack. People should consider this when they purchase new cars. Buying/leasing a new ICE vehicle every 5~8 years is very costly, also gasoline cost and maintenance cost is substantial.

Tesla was planning on buying roughly $20 million in Maxwell's products this year and next year, and around $60m per year thereafter.

Skip to 11:33, Gali has a breakdown of future revenue with and without Tesla.

I'm simply preaching conservatism. I'm super bullish on Tesla long-term, but the path to be walked is not easy.

I have not read anything about demonstrated 1.2x capacity. Would you mind sharing a link?

Current Tesla cells are 250wh/kg, and Maxwell has demonstrated 300+wh/kg. 300/250 = 1.2.

There is also a pathway to even larger energy density gains.

Super duper unreliable. Actually garbage. They said 80k Model 3s were produced in Q1
Per week.
S and X on
Except that accessing the biggest and arguably most important market in the EU as a foreign (US....) marque, and EV at that - will greatly improve consumers acceptance if the factory is located there.

Think: to the general consumer a great EV by the Apple of EVs actually built in Germany to perceived German quality standards and by German workers will enjoy significantly better acceptance than the same great EV by the Apple of EVs built in the neighbouring low-cost production economies. There is a reason (in addition to the political one) that the Big 3 (BMW, Daimler, VW Group) still build the majority of their cars in Germany, instead of running for the low-cost countries.
Of course don’t look too closely to their supply base.....that has long spread all over the world.

Maybe from your US perspective: do you think Tesla would have done equally well if Fremont (or GF1) was located in Mexico?
What if a Tesla from Germany ends up being not that great a car from a quality and fitting perspective? That would shine badly both on Tesla AND Germany as a car making nation. If somehow they are better, it shines badly on Tesla's operations in the US.
For Europe, Tesla would need to adopt a new product strategy. Investigate the market before going and designing a production line for some letterbox sedan without towing or instrument cluster. There is actual competition here in Europe, what ICEVs are concerned, they are what people need. Skoda Octavia, a best seller, comes in both hatchback and estate. This goes for many brands. No letterbox option. BMW will offer a sedan for posers, but then also add a wagon for people who actually need their car for something more the driver's seat.