Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem really clever.
What might prevent the competition from doing the same? They've copied the reservation and (partial) direct sale business model as well.

Not much other than scale, time and will. Of course, those are actually pretty big hurdles. There’s no indication any of their competition is even looking at doing that. If/when they do, there’s a 3 year delay before they’d start getting lease cars back.

I think it is realistic that the Robotaxis will start on Airport - City centre routes or something like that. It will get people used to the concept and help to make the regulations. This would be beneficial for TSLA. Don't have to be the first to the market but the best.
I was thinking about it.

Dropping off riders at the airport is actually very difficult. Frequently taxis and cars are parked double or triple. Waymo will wait for ever trying a find a safe place to park. Or they will have to just drop off far away near the pickup area.

Not much other than scale, time and will. Of course, those are actually pretty big hurdles. There’s no indication any of their competition is even looking at doing that. If/when they do, there’s a 3 year delay before they’d start getting lease cars back.
Others don't have to do it - they can buy cars coming off of lease. Anyway most of the time they have to be sold at a loss ! There is no shortage of used ICE cars or for that matter Leaf and other EVs.

Could someone please explain, “price guarantees “?

I guess this is the the guaranteed buy-back price that Tesla were giving customers a while back. Here in Belgium, they were also guaranteeing the residual value for external leasing, but I believed they've stopped this now.

Someone with a brain correct me if I'm wrong, eh?

Others don't have to do it - they can buy cars coming off of lease. Anyway most of the time they have to be sold at a loss ! There is no shortage of used ICE cars or for that matter Leaf and other EVs.

Not quite. If the car wasn’t designed for that high level of autonomy from the get-go, then costs will skyrocket as they have to rip apart the cars to install the needed sensors(needed locations likely include positions *inside* the beams of the car, as with Tesla’s). Tesla has stated the cost to do this for AP1 cars would likely exceed the cost to just build a new car.

It ain’t a sunroof if it doesn’t open. Still grumbling that Tesla discontinued them in the S and doesn’t offer them in the 3.

The pano roof of my P85 was one of my favourite features, had it open all seasons, all weather.

However, it was a high-maintenance item, needed adjustments on a regular basis. I guess that's why they stopped offering it, very expensive on the warranty bottom-line.

upload_2019-4-29_13-31-3.png

upload_2019-4-29_13-26-59.png

Tesla Producing Huge Batch of M3

I trust the VINS......................……...Not!

In all seriousness, I have no clue why they would register that large of a batch when they already have a ton of vins that haven't been used. It's a bit of bummer that we can't get excited for Vin registrations anymore. There was a pretty steady correlation between Q2, Q3, and Q4 vins and productions and Q1 completely blew that consistency out of the water.

I want to get excited for a such a larger batch of registrations but I can't bring myself to trust it anymore :(

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Not quite. If the car wasn’t designed for that high level of autonomy from the get-go, then costs will skyrocket as they have to rip apart the cars to install the needed sensors(needed locations likely include positions *inside* the beams of the car, as with Tesla’s). Tesla has stated the cost to do this for AP1 cars would likely exceed the cost to just build a new car.
Oh - if you are not thinking about an after market solution - then it takes OEMs 5 years to design and manufacture the car. So, if Waymo has FSD working today, the cars come out only in 2024. Then, if they go on lease … will be 3 more years.

This is why in reality, if they get the FSD working, they will just se the after market route at least initially. The after market is so expensive, they won't bother with used cars either.

It ain’t a sunroof if it doesn’t open. Still grumbling that Tesla discontinued them in the S and doesn’t offer them in the 3.

i've literally never opened mine. all it does is increase cost, reduce headroom (vs all glass roof), and introduce possibilities of malfunction and leaks. i would infinitely rather have a solid all-glass roof like the 3.

The pano roof of my P85 was one of my favourite features, had it open all seasons, all weather.

However, it was a high-maintenance item, needed adjustments on a regular basis. I guess that's why they stopped offering it, very expensive on the warranty bottom-line.

99760 miles on my S and the pano roof has never failed. Regular annual maintenance only. Dismayed Tesla stopped offering them. I can’t imagine buying a new S w/o pano sunroof.