Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this mean ? You don't understand the phrase or do you think I used it wrong ?

dunno what he meant.

i started it earlier today in a post when i was ranting about cnbc. Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

to elaborate on why i said that...
it can be annoying when people who seemingly don’t understand it, use it. like the “tv” people. bc tv and media just like to use catch phrases and it annoys me.

creek took it step further and said it’s a fanboy term...maybe
but i disagree with him, that you were using it in that sense.

i maintain that the ‘tv’ people are mostly twerps, and the a r sorkin is an ‘order of magnitude’ douchier about tesla than he was 2 years ago

anyway, we better not get this far off topic come tomorrow. i think it’s going to be another battle this week

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and EVNow
Rules of Thumb: A maniac is anyone driving 15mph faster than you. An old person is anyone 15 years older than you.
An old person is anyone 15 years older than you and driving 15MPH under the speed limit with their turn signal permanently on.

You're taking it out of context and spinning it.

Gene was talking about the capital raise and why they didn't do it 6 months ago! Of course the order dipped comparing to 6 month ago!
Why do you say “Of course orders dropped from 6 months ago”?

6 months ago orders were only available in U.S./ Canada, and only LR and above were available (at a more expensive price), and there was no leasing.

6 months ago I (and everyone else on this forum) did not imagine orders dropping under that scenario.

Last edited:
And interesting that the S/X requires more human interaction than the model 3. One could wander what would S/X profit margins be if the same amount of automation could be applied to it

With lower volumes it is not cost effective to invest as much in robots.

Low volume cars like a Toyota FJ Cruiser's glyder are practically hand built relative to a Corolla. And the FJ Cruiser's reliability ratings bear that out.

Game changer ###########
News on Fiat Chrysler credits paid to Tesla

This is going to set the Tesla share shorts into a depressed panic.

And Tesla may be able to sell even more credits as their fleet grows. It’s apparentky based on 57,000 Model 3s!

I predict a huge bounce in shares on Monday. Previous forecasts of FCA Pooling credits were a few hundred million NOT nearly $2billion (€1.8b) With Tesla just issuing more shares and selling new bonds I predict we are going to hear more Gigafactories will soon be operational around the world.

As they say “we live in interesting times”

FINANCIAL TIMES ARTICLE
Peter Campbell in London MAY 3, 2019

.....Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has said it will pay electric carmaker Tesla close to €2bn to help it meet tough new emissions targets and has reported a 29 per cent drop in first-quarter profits.

The company will purchase credits from Tesla to help it hit carbon dioxide goals and avoid large fines in the US and Europe, at an estimated cost of €1.8bn......

You raise a lot of good points why human drivers are inherently less safe than FSD.
I could see FSD technology being able to replace all humans on most / highest traffic roads with much better safety record within a few years. There will be some caveats for extreme conditions which are harder to train the NN for due to lack of training data, but that is an aside.

The main problem I see is the transition period, when you have a mix of FSD and human drivers on the road. Humans will take advantage of the fact that FSD has safety as the primary objective, so human drivers will cut off FSD cars, force them on the sidelines, will not allow them to merge etc.

This will slow down adoption of pure FSD, because people will take over to drive more aggressively.
There will also be cases where human drivers cause accidents that involve FSD cars, but insist that they were innocent at the court and blame the FSD car. You can already see this sentiment in many Tesla crashes where Autopilot is blamed incorrectly (e.g. the recent frontal collision case in Spain).

So I see a more difficult and longer transition period, than it would be necessary, due to human nature rather than lack of technology solution.
You can think of it in parallel to renewable energy adoption. We have the technology and it is already cheaper and yet it is a huge struggle to replace fossil fuels due to entrenched human interests.

In my experience, most people are pretty decent to each other on the road, though there are jerks.

I find that I can use the acceleration of my Tesla to assert myself when necessary and even put enough distance between myself and another driver so that I don’t cut them off.

Also it may not be obvious to other drivers that the car is driving autonomously.

BTW, if in the US, it’s always a possibility that people in other cars are enjoying their Second Amendment rights, so provoking road rage isn’t generally smart. In fact, I’ve always suspected Americans queue up so nicely because of the Second Amendment. ;)

A couple of points re Tesla insurance.

Insurers need to know they will *never* have to pay a very large number of simultaneous claims. This is why you can insure for ‘storm and tempest’, but not flood.

Tesla will put many measures in place to ensure there can never be a system wide failure of FSD via rollout of bad or hacked software. A few people at Tesla will understand how these measures work. The insurance arm of Tesla will talk to these people and will trust them.

I don’t see how it is possible for an external insurer to have the same level of trust. They will be forced to attach higher premiums to Tesla, due to the higher perceived risk profile.

Ditto for chance of accident generally. Tesla will always have more trust in Tesla FSD than other organisations will have in Tesla FSD.

_____

Others have mentioned the problem of high premiums for bad drivers. Let’s not forget that this is a bad driver in a FSD capable car. Tesla should be able to provide the bad driver with a cheaper premium, and good drivers with a much cheaper premium.

I see Tesla insurance as a very good thing, possibly an essential thing. The best car with the cheapest maintenance with the best safety and the lowest insurance premiums. Pretty compelling. Bring it on.

We pulled that trick back in the day of paper copies. We had someone leaking faxed presentations which were then posted online. We put a unique tiny mark on the corner of one of the pages and kept track of who got which one when we passed them out.

So, you’re saying always borrow from someone you don’t like before you leak? :p

9331E87A-1B5C-488B-BA38-3CCF7C4BF08A.png
Clip of FT article info

Why do you say “Of course orders dropped from 6 months ago”?

6 months ago orders were only available in U.S./ Canada, and only LR and above were available (at a more expensive price), and there was no leasing.

6 months ago I (and everyone else on this forum) did not imagine orders dropping under that scenario.
So that is the reason you spin it as if he sees the order dip now indicating more demand pressure going forward?

Why do you intentionally hide the context of his statement so that it sounds bearish?

Game changer ###########
News on Fiat Chrysler credits paid to Tesla

This is going to set the Tesla share shorts into a depressed panic.

And Tesla may be able to sell even more credits as their fleet grows. It’s apparentky based on 57,000 Model 3s!

I predict a huge bounce in shares on Monday. Previous forecasts of FCA Pooling credits were a few hundred million NOT nearly $2billion (€1.8b) With Tesla just issuing more shares and selling new bonds I predict we are going to hear more Gigafactories will soon be operational around the world.

As they say “we live in interesting times”

FINANCIAL TIMES ARTICLE
Peter Campbell in London MAY 3, 2019

.....Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has said it will pay electric carmaker Tesla close to €2bn to help it meet tough new emissions targets and has reported a 29 per cent drop in first-quarter profits.

The company will purchase credits from Tesla to help it hit carbon dioxide goals and avoid large fines in the US and Europe, at an estimated cost of €1.8bn......
I hope you’re right about a jump in price of Tesla shares. Probably not going to happen because the Dow futures are down 400 points. Tomorrow’s open will likely be lower. Stand by on tsla action on Monday. The futures are down because trump is jacking up the tariffs on China. HW 3 computers are subject to these tariffs even though the chips are made in Texas because the boards are assembled in China. Thanks trump.

This is bearish. He's now absolutely confident of something which he is blatantly wrong about. So far this hasn't led to any decisions which should hurt the company, but keep an eye out.

For those who disagree, I'll compare my self-driving predictions against Musk's any day.

How about we compare successful new technology product introductions? ;)

Reactions: T@oo
Yup, the shortz maintain and subscribe to a shared 'block' list. Pick one of the other big shorts that also follow BS. See if you're blocked after the 1st visit. Jolly jokers, fighting for a dirtier, sicker planet with all their venom. No matter, they'll lose. But they'll still have to look in the mirror.

Cheers!

Assuming they can still see themselves in a mirror! :eek: