Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is interesting. Chanos' Kynikos fund is long $420k Tesla call options according to the latest 13F SEC filing.

Short positions are not shown (not required by SEC)

SEC FORM 13-F Information Table

Since we don't know his short positions, this could simply be a hedge. But wouldn't even that be a significant departure from his Tesla thesis?

Looking at NASDAQ and TSLA, the jump up today is pretty much the same move, and the movement throughout the day thus far has more or less followed NASDAQ (perhaps not 1:1 but TSLA never does).

So I think all these articles (looking at you, Fred - fake deleting twitter wasn't the cause!) about why the stock jumped are literally missing the bigger picture ... in fact most of the movement of the last week or so has been a reflection of the market.

NASDAQ is up 0.7%, Tesla 4.7% how is that for mimicing? Yes most of the low volume period it does, but overall this was stock speciifc rise and not macro related.

Could be anything really. Maybe shorts were taking profit given that there would be no catalyst for a stock down move anytime soon and those puts would be decaying daily.

So this is interesting. Chanos' Kynikos fund is long $420k Tesla call options according to the latest 13F SEC filing.

Short positions are not shown (not required by SEC)

SEC FORM 13-F Information Table

Nothing to be happy about his call position. I hope he still has a large short position, otherwise if these guys make money on the way down and on the way up, what are we doing here posting and reading millions of posts on the forum?

If you don't have open mind and the determination to get better results, you won't get better results.

Few hedge funds will take unlimited exposure on a position, however much they believe in it. Out of the money calls are a natural way to cap potential loss.

Yes, but the question I have is -- is this the first time his fund has taken such a hedge in TSLA? If so, even that would signal a change in thinking, though not a sea change.

Reactions: neroden
Big volume in the 250 Aug 16 calls today playing the earnings report. There was one large 5000 option trade this morning, biggest in days.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Agreed as well. Is there even some sort of face-saving justification for this practice?

There is. Capital should be allocated to most efficient use. If company X is wasting it, there must be a way to penalize. I am not against short selling, but when it comes to Tesla it's a whole new level. Media lying daily to save their ads business. It's a crime really.

Yes, but the question I have is -- is this the first time his fund has taken such a hedge in TSLA? If so, even that would signal a change in thinking, though not a sea change.

I'm speculating, but my guess would be that his previous hedge was the convertibles that got redeemed in Q1, thus necessitating a replacement hedge.

I can't find it right now but it was a recent video with Elon. (Interview or annual shareholder meeting.) I don't have time to review hours of video to find the link for you. If you haven't already watched it all you should.

Found it:

The section starts at 1:37:00. The actual mention of the two branches is at about 1:42:00.

Unless he has the dev builds how does he know what is in the dev builds?