Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SnazzyQ @tailosivetech Basic white adds too much to service repair complexity. Team convinced me better to go with pearl white.

Elon Musk on Twitter

So multi-coat white it is!
damnit! I wanted white but it was an extra $1,000 and had to get black. Now I can be one of those that complains about the ordering process. yay.

A few thoughts about Tesla's heavy Performance/Ludicrous price decreases this year
  • Obviously Tesla's aim is to increase uptake of these higher margin options and for this to balance the reduced prices. They are trying to turn the Performance models from probably c.5% of volume to something significantly higher.
  • I think Performance/Ludicrous are mostly just software upgrades/removal of software performance limitations, so they shouldn't be at a much higher COGs (though may have higher warranty reserve).
  • One extra benefit of this is getting more of these top performance models on the road. Word of mouth is Tesla's primary sales channel and if people experience a ride in a friend's Performance model this has a higher chance of converting them than a standard AWD model.
  • Another consideration is just how much damage this will do to ICE competitors. ICE luxury manufacturers have been in a comfortable oligarchy for decades with nobody disrupting the status quo of extremely expensive and profitable performance upgrade options. Tesla is seriously shaking this up with the capabilities model 3 performance is now offering for just $55k (less incentives, fuel, maintenance, depreciation savings etc).

I feel Elon and Tesla have fundamentally pivoted on their plan on "showing" other auto manufacturer's how to make EV's and stay a premium product with relatively small scale(compared to like Volkswagen). Seeing how badly traditional auto makers failed on their attempts at EV's and how slow progress has been has pushed Tesla into an all out assault on the status quo and they're going to attempt to do it themselves. If traditional auto makers don't want to adapt, Tesla will bankrupt them into submission through their efficiency and cost cutting measures.

Instead of the Disney staff driving the cars into places, the cars are FSD and drive themselves into places for the park guests to get in.....then when the guests get out, they drive themselves over to their charging stations or to the staging area for the next guests...….it would BLOW the guests away and be incredible publicity for Tesla's FSD;)
Holy Cow! Advanced Summon applied to those parking lots at WDW!!! Yes!!! Air conditioning plus “It’s a Small World” playing on that great sound system.

Next RORO heads to Port Canaveral, then a robo-convoy up the Beeline!

Last edited:
That "later today" was last Saturday, and apparently the review went well and they decided that they are going to release Enhanced Summon in four weeks, around August 16.

Even if it's in mid-September, in two months, FSD is getting more and more real ...

I suppose it is futile to remind anyone here that enhanced summon was supposed to be ready in 6 weeks like 9 months ago already? The only thing what is getting more real and real is my inability to take any timeline regarding this product seriously.

Navigate on Autopilot is hardly a “gimmick”... It does all the driving, including navigation, autonomously on the freeway.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree... :confused:

Where I live there are no NoA approved freeways. But now I'm on holiday. With my Tesla ofcourse. Beeing the family nerd I've read about NoA and have been looking forward to try. But it's pretty much useless.

It can exit the freeway - which is useful I guess. Driving around Oslo and then crossing the border into Sweden driving to Gothenburg and Stockholm with NoA is both stressful and frustrating. It suggests lane changes. I approve with the stalk. Then a couple of seconds later it aborts. I stopped at a layby and checked the settings.

Changed NoA to MadMax mode. But Max Max is a whimp. In 20-30 minutes of driving in light Sunday traffic it didn't manage to change lanes once. So I got stuck in the slow lane behind everything there. Tried NoA on several other occasions the last few days. The only one getting mad was me!

The ordinary adaptive cruise control and auto steering is very nice on freeways. But NoA really is a frustrating gimmick. I am one of Elons biggest fans and I can see NoA evolving into FSD but the current version is basically useless. It reminds me of when to get off the freeway. Nice. But that's it. :eek:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree... :confused:

Where I live there are no NoA approved freeways. But now I'm on holiday. With my Tesla ofcourse. Beeing the family nerd I've read about NoA and have been looking forward to try. But it's pretty much useless.

It can exit the freeway - which is useful I guess. Driving around Oslo and then crossing the border into Sweden driving to Gothenburg and Stockholm with NoA is both stressful and frustrating. It suggests lane changes. I approve with the stalk. Then a couple of seconds later it aborts. I stopped at a layby and checked the settings.

Changed NoA to MadMax mode. But Max Max is a whimp. In 20-30 minutes of driving in light Sunday traffic it didn't manage to change lanes once. So I got stuck in the slow lane behind everything there. Tried NoA on several other occasions the last few days. The only one getting mad was me!

The ordinary adaptive cruise control and auto steering is very nice on freeways. But NoA really is a frustrating gimmick. I am one of Elons biggest fans and I can see NoA evolving into FSD but the current version is basically useless. It reminds me of when to get off the freeway. Nice. But that's it. :eek:

Im not sure if it’s available there, but I’m talking about with lane change confirmation turned off. At least in the states, that’s available. And amazing. My autopilot is currently broken(service is working on figuring out what’s wrong), but I did have the no-confirmation for a while before that happened. It certainly isn’t perfect, but it’s far from a gimmick.

I suppose it is futile to remind anyone here that enhanced summon was supposed to be ready in 6 weeks like 9 months ago already? The only thing what is getting more real and real is my inability to take any timeline regarding this product seriously.
Enhanced Summon is already out there. I've seen videos. It's just not in wide release yet. It will be next month. If you don't believe it, don't buy FSD. I bought it for $2000 in January and I am confident it will be worth many times that while I still own my car. That is all that matters.

2015 : To compete with Tesla, all we have to do is make a [snip] EV. [snip] Very doable
2017 : To compete with Tesla, all we have to do is make a compelling EV. [snip] This is going to be harder
2019 : To compete with Tesla, all we have to do is make a competitive EV. [snip]Oh snap

Fixed it for you.

Patience is a learned behavior. I have an innate tendency to be impatient but have learned over the years that things will happen when they are ready, not a moment before. If the timing of an expected event is out of my control, I have learned to be patient. Much better that way.

Last edited:
There is a lot of criticism about Musk's insane deadlines regarding FSD, Advanced, summon, etc.

But let me just make one point:

Tesla doesn't have to meet any of Musk's lofty deadlines.
All they have to do is get there faster than everyone else.

The secret that critics often fail to recognize is that Musk's deadlines inspire the latter.

What are you saying? That people should go on driving cr*ppy ICEs and miss out on the joy of driving a Tesla, only because there is always another improvement or lower price around the corner? You might end up dead before getting the car.

Okay.

Maybe you can go and look back at what I posted previously to see what I was talking about regarding tax credits. But, I get it. People in today’s society just don’t like to take even a minute to understand what someone is saying. Your response is just like the people who quickly respond to everything regarding politics on Twitter these days without thought.

I was quoting myself on a previous post I made that the effect of tax credit expiration to potential Tesla buyers is overblown because Tesla eventually lowers prices to more than offset the loss in credits.

I bought my TSLA after owning my TMX a few weeks and experiencing the Autopilot. So I am a beliver and long term TSLA holder. People report very different experiences with autopilot functionality. So while I hope for FSD soon I'm not holding my breath. Still some work to be done. The question is how much?

Im not sure if it’s available there, but I’m talking about with lane change confirmation turned off. At least in the states, that’s available. And amazing. My autopilot is currently broken(service is working on figuring out what’s wrong), but I did have the no-confirmation for a while before that happened. It certainly isn’t perfect, but it’s far from a gimmick.

Interesting - no "no-confirmation" available on my car. But I should think the lane change would be the same. So when I confirm immidiately after getting a suggestion it should not drive much different?

The manual lane changes when you take the initiative with the stalk work much better. Perhaps because I guess I check the mirrors first.

I take it your Tesla manage to change lanes both with and without confirmation? As in most of the times it tries? That would be a good thing - it's hope for me too eventually. I'm on SW 2019.24.1 so pretty much up to date I belive.

I have thought all along that FSD would be harder than Elon apparently expected. Different scenarios have different problems. On a divided highway, the instructions can be pretty simple (get me to exit 42) and the road geometry is easy to figure out (well-marked lanes), but the consequences of a mistake are much more serious, and if the software gets confused (...Jersey barrier...) there likely won't be time for the driver to take over. In a parking lot, the geometry is more complicated (confusing markings, pedestrians, other cars driving on the left...), but the computer can slow down. City streets are in between. I'm willing to believe that parking lots will wind up being the easier problem.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I bought my TSLA after owning my TMX a few weeks and experiencing the Autopilot. So I am a beliver and long term TSLA holder. People report very different experiences with autopilot functionality. So while I hope for FSD soon I'm not holding my breath. Still some work to be done. The question is how much?

Interesting - no "no-confirmation" available on my car. But I should think the lane change would be the same. So when I confirm immidiately after getting a suggestion it should not drive much different?

The manual lane changes when you take the initiative with the stalk work much better. Perhaps because I guess I check the mirrors first.

I take it your Tesla manage to change lanes both with and without confirmation? As in most of the times it tries? That would be a good thing - it's hope for me too eventually. I'm on SW 2019.24.1 so pretty much up to date I belive.

Yes, though that was back with 2019.8.5. Failures to actually change were rare, even in Bay Area traffic

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420