Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • There's also the question of what effect the irresponsible leaks and speculation about an impending "interior refresh" by Elektrec over the last year has caused on demand. For a Tesla shareholder Fred Lambert is incredibly naive about the effect his leaks are having on demand: Tesla customers will take a Tesla leak in one of the EV magazines far more seriously than leaks in any of the Tesla hostile mainstream media publications. His frequent whining about price drops also fuels buyer's remorse about buying the most satisfying car in the U.S. ..
I think you’re over emphasizing that situation.
Many of my Tesla/EV driving friends don’t even know about the Electrek website. The number of site visitors relative to how many EVs are out there is still small.

Model S and Model X is much more important to Tesla than 8 Series to BMW.

Actually, while this is a common understanding that is probably true to a fair degree, we don't know this for sure: neither BMW nor Mercedes is disclosing the (probably very healthy) margins of their highest end models - Tesla is actually very unique in their S/X margins transparency.

For all we know BMW 8 series might be a gold mine that generates a significant portion of BMW's gross profits.

Per model margins are a closely held trade secret at all the large luxury carmakers, except Tesla.

I dont see the S/X as vaguely demand limited in the medium or short term. All those people who are drooling over the ipace or etron need to actually sit in one/take a test drive/read reviews, then S/X demand will shoot up.
Every jaguar on the road is a market opportunity for Tesla, just like every BMW, and there are tons of both where I live.

Also...here in the UK, I haven't even SEEN a model 3 yet. The idea that tesla face demand problems is hilarious. All I ever get is curiosity and interest and admiration for my 2015 model S. The idea of the average joe looking at my car and going 'nah, it looks out of date, will wait for a refresh' is comical. These are people who still have gearsticks and physical buttons all over the place.

I would like to see increases in production numbers for all models, I really don't care if they make a profit in a quarter in 2019 or 2020. I'm happy to play a very long game as an investor, and as the EV market skyrockets, I want tesla to maintain (or grow) market share.

Does anyone have the time of the 2 TWh lithium battery statement, or is there a story about it yet.
I assume it’s related to the Indonesia plant with CATL and LG.

The Indonesia plant is only a $4bn project and Tesla is reportedly only taking a minor stake.

Elon, JB and Drew have given so many transparent hints its basically equivalent to announcing future cells will mostly be made in-house.

No one is going to build 2TWh of battery cells for Tesla, and Tesla is not going to spend its battery tech show and tell day talking about other peoples old technology and their plans to buy $100bn of annual batteries from random suppliers. Tesla has clearly developed new cell design and manufacturing technology - 2TWh is just not possible with Panasonic/CATL/LG's manufacturing methods.

If we look back just 3 months, the success of Q2 is astonishing. When the Q1 ER hit, Tesla looked like it might have a serious cash crunch and a real demand problem. To counter this perception, Musk offered 4 pieces of guidance, all of which seemed questionable at the time:

1. 90-100k deliveries in Q2
2. Cash flow positive in Q2
3. Less GAAP sequential loss in Q2
4. 360-400k deliveries for year

All the info on Q2 is now in, and what happened? Everything Musk guided came to pass (or, as to 4, reiterated, and no longer looking dubious).

Musk’s credibility has been greatly boosted by this quarter’s performance.

And rhe demand and cash burn issues have been completely debunked.

I’m having trouble understanding tonight the gloom thesis. Perhaps part of the gloom is because the biggest positive news about the quarter (95k deliveries) was announced weeks ago, and now people are more focused on GAAP losses. Or perhaps it’s just that the SP is down 10% tonight, when hopes were for a boost. But c’mon peeps, short term moves of the SP are horribly manipulated. Give it a few weeks, and there is likely to be a different direction. Not investment advice!
I'm with you re success and guidance. It's just that SP / sentiment / expectations have decoupled a little bit from reality. Nice to see it decoupling and coming back, it opened an opportunity.

Also as was pointed out one needs to see this in relation to the results of other automakers. Tesla leads the pack.

Perhaps @Fact Checking should be renamed to @Cup Half Full.

Ha, ha... I'm just joking. I love Fact Checking. He is obviously an extremely intelligent* and ardent bull, and will squash any bear FUD and BS with force and speed -- I really wish he would enter the lion's den on twitter, FB, or Seeking Alpha (where I frequently post) and kick some serious bear ass.

But sometimes his eternal optimism can really be blinding. Can I ask, Fact Checking, are there any claims or positions of Tesla or Musk that you disagree with or doubt? Anyway, this is only a minor criticism. Please keep doing what you're doing.

*I suspect he scores nearly perfect on his SATs and GREs, or whatever the European equivalent is. I actually have a close friend just like this (he literally scored a perfect on his GREs: a 1600, and he was drinking the night before). My friend is incredibly brilliant and can argue circles around me on a number of topics, but history has shown him to be wrong on several points. We see eye to eye on most issues, but incidentally, this friend of mine has a very bearish view on Tesla (as well as crypto currencies, which I'm neutral on). I would love to see him and Fact Checking in a live debate.

Obvious to me that Fact Checking is not one person, but a team of at least 20!

Perspective:

TSLA has had a rough year from an investment perspective.

However: The pace of innovation is what matters in the end.

Tesla is changing the landscape. They are leading what the future market will look like. That puts them in a great position for the future.

Other carnakers are struggling more than Tesla. And they have a big anchor tied around their neck: they are largely dependent on technology of the past, where Tesla is 100% in on the tech of the future.

The “get rich really quick” story of TSLA is only possible if FSD becomes a reality in the next few years.

But even if that doesn’t come to play, long term nobody is better positioned for the future than Tesla.

Case in point:
Nissan job cuts: 12,500 positions to go as profits collapse - CNN

TSLA is a long game. Ignore the noise and the FUD. TSLA’s real story is years down the road, when they will have a massive lead over competitors.

Tesla’s story is much like Amazon. Currently we’re at the same place where everyone complained that Amazon couldn’t make money.

Musk, like Bezos, is positioning Tesla to dominate in the future. It’s not a 2 quarter, 1 year, or two year game.

Many of my Tesla/EV driving friends don’t even know about the Electrek website. The number of site visitors relative to how many EVs are out there is still small.

I suspect it's demography dependent, but a significant percentage of current and future Tesla owners get their Tesla news from one of the clean tech and Tesla specialized news sources: Electrek, CleanTechnica, Teslarati and InsideEVs, from Reddit, TMC, Elon's Twitter or directly from Tesla.

Just to back up that this isn't just a random list:

Of those Tesla specialized news sources, Electrek is the most popular one, by far in that metric:

Electrek has about as many page views as the other three sites combined. I've also seen Electrek news syndicated to various stock news feeds - never saw the other sites show up there. So Electrek possibly has a larger influence on investors.

(Note that TMC is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison in that list: TMC's engagement factor of individual visitors is probably much higher than that of Electrek, evidenced by the 'average visit duration' that is an order of higher on TMC. ;))

Or to look at a different, independent comparison, here's the Google Trends comparison of these four sites and the Tesla subreddit:

upload_2019-7-25_12-11-12.png

(Note that I trimmed this week's projected data point from Google Trends - it's an annoying and noisy extrapolation.)

Electrek is leading there too most of the time.

We should rate these two sources of data higher than your anecdotal sample of Electrek's influence among your friends.

I think you’re over emphasizing that situation.

That's certainly possible - I asked it as an open question.

But my observation that Electrek is the biggest Tesla specific news site/blog is a simple fact, and I suspect that's the main reason why Elon has engaged Fred directly a couple of times over Twitter as well.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-25_12-4-49.png
    upload_2019-7-25_12-4-49.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
View attachment 433927

The pdf can be found here:
EU energy in figures - Publications Office of the EU

Guess 2TWh cycling 100% each day equals something like 700 TWh a year in used storage capacity. Installing 2 TWh each year, implies with stated cycling that after 4 years 10% of yearly electricity production could be drawn from those batteries.

Also, the batteries will only have to be drawn over the night and in hours of low wind/sun. Most of the day solar/wind can go directly to the grid and to charging the battery. Maybe only one third of global daily electricity use will have to be drawn from batteries for a fully renewable grid. So maybe we only need c.25TWh of batteries to move to a fully renewable electricity grid. However we need to transfer all global useful energy (electricity, transport, industry etc) to electricity - this is around 60,000TWh - so maybe needing more like 60TWh of battery storage needed to move to 100% clean energy. And if the world was to use energy at the US rate, maybe another 3-4x.

This doesn't fully solve winter in some darker regions - but heat pump home heating and possibly gas or hydrogen electricity plants fired up for a few weeks in winter at the solar lows should be enough to solve seasonal renewable generation variation (fortunately wind and solar peak in different seasons).

meh. Margins are coming back up and cash flow improved $1.2bn QoQ. Higher(almost complete) Raven mix vs old inventory clearing Q2 should improve margins and GAAP profits further. From where I’m sitting, the past looks bad, present looks OK and future is looking rosy.

Funny story, but I had the same feeling all the time since I bought first shares in late 2016... :) I just wish at some point we actually move up one step towards past looks OK, present is looking rosy and future is looking amazing.

I can almost guarantee this timeline will be missed. No way they can navigate EU regs and get a new factory up to speed when they won't even announce a location until next year. Not too much of an issue though, plenty of growth to be had from Fremont and GF3 in the interim.

This question has never been asked on any CC, but I wonder what hurdles are they facing or what are their expectations/requirements for Giga EU. I think it's the 3rd time I hear Musk saying "we're gonna finalize the location by the end of the year". I half suspect that originally they wanted EU first then China but things changed so they swapped.

There's also the question of what effect the irresponsible leaks and speculation about an impending "interior refresh" by Elektrec over the last year has caused on demand. For a Tesla shareholder Fred Lambert is incredibly naive about the effect his leaks are having on demand: Tesla customers will take a Tesla leak in one of the EV magazines far more seriously than leaks in any of the Tesla hostile mainstream media publications. His frequent whining about price drops also fuels buyer's remorse about buying the most satisfying car in the U.S. ...

Wait, are you saying that a journalist holding TSLA should not be critical of the company? Are you saying that if a journalist has news they should sit on it because it might hurt the company? Are you saying that a journalist should be hush hush about dynamic price changes and keep their readers uninformed what's going on so they make mistake and buy their car for more than they could a week later, all in the name of pumping TSLA?

You all here laughed at and "debunked" Fred's story about JB and yet here we are.

Elektrec is the most popular EV news source, and of the 3-4 main news sources that Tesla fans read and find credible, Elektrec is by far the most irresponsible one to publish leaks, speculate freely and whine about pricing changes.

This is a simple fact,

No, 1st part of your sentence might be fact, but the 2nd part is an opinion :)

I'm with you re success and guidance. It's just that SP / sentiment / expectations have decoupled a little bit from reality. Nice to see it decoupling and coming back, it opened an opportunity.

I actually started to think recently that the SP is exactly where it should be. The ATH's we've seen in the past should have been considered bubbles as they were based on nothing more than estimates and expectations and Musk's promises of timelines. We all know some of them didn't come to pass and some of them came later (and that's totally fine). But it'd be ridiculous to expect the SP to stay high or even go higher regardless.

Bulls do create their own bubble, bears do live in their own echochamber and the reality is somewhere in between. Currently, somewhere in $220-$250 range ;) Just because the shares *might* be at $4,000 level in 10 years, doesn't mean they should be there already.

Also as was pointed out one needs to see this in relation to the results of other automakers. Tesla leads the pack.

So is Tesla an automaker and should be valued as one or is it a tech / energy company? We gotta decide, can't have it both ways.

Also, the batteries will only have to be drawn over the night and in hours of low wind/sun. Most of the day solar/wind can go directly to the grid and to charging the battery. Maybe only one third of global daily electricity use will have to be drawn from batteries for a fully renewable grid. So maybe we only need c.25TWh of batteries to move to a fully renewable electricity grid. However we need to transfer all global useful energy (electricity, transport, industry etc) to electricity - this is around 60,000TWh - so maybe needing more like 60TWh of battery storage needed to move to 100% clean energy. And if the world was to use energy at the US rate, maybe another 3-4x.

This doesn't fully solve winter in some darker regions - but heat pump home heating and possibly gas or hydrogen electricity plants fired up for a few weeks in winter at the solar lows should be enough to solve seasonal renewable generation variation (fortunately wind and solar peak in different seasons).

You could use biogas with the allam cycle in colder climates... It would actually be carbon negative.

But anyways, if Tesla has 1Twh of battery capacity, has 10% market share, and the batteries last ~10 years, that's enough to maintain ~100 Twh of storage.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
But sometimes his eternal optimism can really be blinding.

Such as warning about -$300m or deeper GAAP losses in Q2, before the earnings report?

See:

• I also think @EVNow's and @luvb2b's estimates of a -$300m or bigger GAAP loss (which estimates are matching the current Wall Street consensus for a change) are a plausible, well supported baseline, and that a +$550m upside from that to reach the magical ~$250m GAAP profit has low probability.
  • Uberbulls on /r/wallstreetbets appear to be equating record deliveries with record income - and they might be disappointed when Tesla posts narrowing but still negative results.
  • Volume this week has been very low so far: only 50% of the average volume - which suggests both bulls and bears are in a wait-and-see mode.
  • Ihor reported that about 2.5 million TSLA shares were borrowed this week but not actually used to short. If true then these shares might either be returned unused later today - or they might be used to fake a big price reaction and amplify any selling pressure, should Tesla post "disappointing Wall Street" results, giving the narrative back to the shorts. As @Papafox has documented it extensively, both delivery reports and financial results are commonly used for bear raids and other shenanigans.
  • On the upside there are some income wildcards possible, but so were there in Q1...
  • There's also the possibility that Tesla will reduce guidance for 2019 - or reaffirm (or raise) it, or disclose new pieces of information - with a matching bullish or bearish price reaction.
  • I'd also like to note that Elon has become uncharacteristically quiet about Telsa on Twitter in the past week or so - most of his tweets are re-tweets or SpaceX discussions. His "Twitter mood" before profitable Q3/Q4 results last year was a lot more upbeat. But this is not a reliable indicator...

And to answer your question:

Can I ask, Fact Checking, are there any claims or positions of Tesla or Musk that you disagree with or doubt?

There's a few, over the past year I pointed out several major ones - and I expect all new mistakes by Tesla and Elon as well. (There's only one major mistake right now that I'm aware of, that of dismal service communications. Whether this is geographically isolated or systemic is unknown - but there's been several credible reports here that it's very much a thing, and the buck obviously stops with Elon.)

Anyway, in the general scheme of things all the hand-wringing about margins, ASPs and demand is only meaningful in terms of trying to predict quarterly Wall Street response - but they are mostly meaningless in the long run.

I've also seen enough successful startups to know how messy they are in their early and not so early phases: any company that is growing at 50% rates is going to have incredible amounts of internal inefficiencies, compared to zero growth incumbents that have been around for a hundred years ...

To me the guiding principle in evaluating Tesla is the Theodore Roosevelt quote @SPadival cited on Twitter recently:

S Padival on Twitter

Quote by Theodore Roosevelt: “It is not the critic who counts; not the man wh...”

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”​

What Tesla has achieved so far is incredible and IMO Tesla's growth prospects are excellent even if all prospective competitors materialize to the fullest of their abilities (be it VW, BMW, Daimler, Volvo, Rivian or Apple) - and I believe in a few years the current TSLA price levels of ~$230 will be looked back at as a curious market failure.

But I could be wrong, and this is not advice, as usual.

No one cared about the Roadster when the Model S started selling because Model S volumes were so much higher. Similarly now, no one should care much about Model S and X sales since Model 3 is what drives the company.

its not really that shocking. When 3 & Y are shipping 1 million + combined in 2-3 years time, and with Semi & pickup ramping, then S/X/R shipping in combined volume under 100k is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme.

It's not meaningless. They are profitable. And when the mission is getting everybody to drive EV different cars are needed.

I for one would not be happy about the TM3 or TMY. Too small for my needs. If I lost my TMX today and could not buy a new TMX or TMS I would have to choose between the e-Tron and fossil cars. Not sure where I would land.

So the manipulative bankers set up Tesla for the big miss. Missing so big says more about the analyst than the company. Except for the ~120 mln in restructuring cost, everything else should've been expected for someone who's full time job is to follow the company and make projections.

Common, how can you increase all fundamentals in your 'research' while lowering your price target?

Consensus expected an Increase in gross margin? After multiple price cuts and older model S/X inventory sale at a discount, was it really that hard to forecast a decline in gross margin instead of an increase?

Looks like Nissan will be the first ICE OEM to fall in the new order.
Nissan job cuts: 12,500 positions to go as profits collapse - CNN

For anyone upset about the Earnings Report from Tesla, do your own research and read it end to end, before making your own opinion. Overall Earnings Report shows excellent progress for a company in high growth mode. Tesla is setting up their business to become highly profitable. Don't let Mr. Media fool you by cherry picking items that have yet to come to fruition pushing a doom and gloom narrative. It is just noise. Keep up the great work Tesla.

Shameful admission time: My first call to service for our new (at the time) M3P was that there was stuff on the wheel that looked to me like leaking brake fluid or something. So I booked it in for the next week, but then got a call from the San Marcos service center: "we can take you tomorrow!" (Funny thing, I don't mind driving... so even though there are now two closer SCs I made the 40 minute drive to San Marcos.) No problem with the brakes. The next day I saw someone walking their dog past our house, and it stopped to raise a leg on the M3P...

And the dog owner were OK with that? :eek::eek::eek:

• Funny
Reactions: capster
2 TW, wow.

Elon's "private" secret master plan is being revealed bit by bit. Rather than simply help to accelerate the transition to EVs and sustainable power (the OEM's have been hopeless and are almost all lost causes) he intends to be first to market with large-scale FSD and ultra-low-cost TaaS. The disruption to all existing ICE transport and most OEMs will then be fast and brutal.

Tesla to become the Standard Oil of the EV revolution.