Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
article says "AAA has the current spread between regular and premium at 58 cents."

so only a 14 cent difference. I'm not sure people filling premium gas will really notice.

At $0.58 a gallon difference, people already notice! Our last gas car took Premium and with a 21-gallon tank, I was painfully aware of the $0.30-$0.50 difference. And yes, I'm a multi-millionaire. Most of us didn't get to where we are without noticing things like that. :cool:

Last edited:
If that was the case they wouldn't cut prices as quickly as they lower costs. They are balancing lowest possible cost while expanding production. They aren't aiming for company level profit. (If they were they could have done things differently to get added to the S&P500 and make share holders happier.)
Why raise expensive equity while forgoing profits just to drive the mission then? That debt will harm the mission more than slightly higher profits would have.

At $0.58 a gallon difference, people already notice! Our last car took Premium and with a 21-gallon tank, I was painfully aware of the $0.30-$0.40 difference. And yes, I'm a multi-millionaire. Most of us didn't get to where we are without noticing these kinds of things. :cool:
but they just pay it anyways since it's the cost of buying a "premium" vehicle. Or they use regular instead on a premium recommended/required vehicle.

Here's what might help along with that 14 cent premium gas increase. Gas Taxes Rise in a Dozen States, Including an Historic Increase in Illinois

I don't know the quality of the information in that article, but it claims that 12 states just recently raised taxes. Some at minor rates, but states like Illinois rose by 19 cents.

so in illinois premium owners might notice as it's adding up. Maybe fuel taxes and some of these other things could help Tesla as they start to add up. Plus, i've seen other states talking about raising fuel taxes as well.

Edit: On the flip side, some state governments are greedy and charging more for EV registrations than gas vehicles. See Illinois as a new example. Not sure how all this will shake out and benefit Tesla if that's a new trend and they scheme to tax EVs at higher and higher rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
ditto...the fundamental reason to invest and how you value a stock (DDM).... i am really surprised on how many disagrees and dislikes i got for suggesting TSLA dividends in the future... this is the TSLA investment thread :D

There are those who invest for personal gain (Capitalists) and then there are those who invest in a better future for themselves and others. Musk is among the latter: Tesla's Mission: "Accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy." So, I guess as long as the world is not 100% on sustainable energy there will be no dividends from Tesla.

Why must the stock price always go down after I buy some? And I bet it'll be even higher next paycheck too!

In 5-10 years, this 10$ difference isn't going to matter. Having bought at 240ish instead of 360 or 400+ though, will make quite a difference. So better to simply be thankful for this already discounted price that was given to us :)

but they just pay it anyways since it's the cost of buying a "premium" vehicle. Or they use regular instead on a premium recommended/required vehicle.

Here's what might help along with that 14 cent premium gas increase. Gas Taxes Rise in a Dozen States, Including an Historic Increase in Illinois

I don't know the quality of the information in that article, but it claims that 12 states just recently raised taxes. Some at minor rates, but states like Illinois rose by 19 cents.

so in illinois premium owners might notice as it's adding up. Maybe fuel taxes and some of these other things could help Tesla as they start to add up. Plus, i've seen other states talking about raising fuel taxes as well.

Edit: On the flip side, some state governments are greedy and charging more for EV registrations than gas vehicles. See Illinois as a new example. Not sure how all this will shake out and benefit Tesla if that's a new trend and they scheme to tax EVs at higher and higher rates.

$0.19/gal x 15000mi/yr / 25mpg = $114/yr

That's really going to get those premium car buyers thinking while they're sitting in the Starbucks drive-thru.

Yes Illinois might be a little unique as they are using the increase to pay for state highway maintenance. They jacked the EV registration much higher but we are somewhat thankful they didn't bump it to a proposed $1000/year. This increase on gas tax was a long time coming and add to it that we've already got additional taxes on that gas, and it adds up to a pretty costly average price.