Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not gonna pay for a Barron's subscription. Anything more interesting than "disruptive is the future" and "tesla to 6000". Not that I don't like her, but at this point its a lot of rehashing the same old thing.

"Our most important assumption is [demand for] electric vehicles, given the battery-cost declines and the new chemistries coming out of Tesla. We believe the average electric-vehicle price will drop below the average auto price in the next two years. In five years, a Toyota Camry will still be around $25,000, but a 200-mile-range electric vehicle will probably be $15,000."

Darnit, that was my one free article, and I closed the tab. I like her saying something like "We don't talk about Tesla much, because no-one believes us."

I think she was saying no one believed her with a valuation at $4,000 so they don't talk about it much now that she has raised it to $6,000

EA-aCTOWkAEvBl0
Damn the short's seem to have unlimited powder!

If Elon is reading this thread there is a golden opportunity here, to declare a brand new class of shares called INFINITY Shares, which are exactly the same as existing shares, but have zero entitlement to dividends. They could call them 'sod all preference shares'.
Apparently a lot of people would buy these as they are effectively no different to those silly old fashioned shares that are entitled to dividends.
BTW I own a very profitable company. I am happy to issue non-dividend paying shares to anybody willing to buy them. I'll keep the only two dividend-paying shares, but thats not important in any way...

Not gonna pay for a Barron's subscription. Anything more interesting than "disruptive is the future" and "tesla to 6000". Not that I don't like her, but at this point its a lot of rehashing the same old thing.

I managed to read it before it was paywalled. Don't remember much of it, but I do remember the 3 price targets Cathy Wood had for TSLA in 5 years time:

- Bear case = $600
- Bull case (automobiles only) = $1400
- Bull case (+Tesla network) = $6000

Would be nice to see Tesla energy factor into things. Maybe in her future models it will.

H1 2019 Sales by Auto Group

PHEV + BEV

1. Tesla (160.009)
2. BYD (141.459)
3. Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi (100.736)
4. Geely Group (69.795)
5. BAIC (68.933)

BEV only sales

1. Tesla (160.009)
2. BYD (96.475)
3. Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi (73.848)
4. BAIC (68.933)
5. Hyundai-Kia (42.605)

EV Sales: H1 2019 sales by OEM (Updated)

If Elon is reading this thread there is a golden opportunity here, to declare a brand new class of shares called INFINITY Shares, which are exactly the same as existing shares, but have zero entitlement to dividends. They could call them 'sod all preference shares'.
Apparently a lot of people would buy these as they are effectively no different to those silly old fashioned shares that are entitled to dividends.
BTW I own a very profitable company. I am happy to issue non-dividend paying shares to anybody willing to buy them. I'll keep the only two dividend-paying shares, but thats not important in any way...

In the year 2050 when Tesla decided to issue a dividend higher than expected, the infinity share holders felt short changed...hence the start of the infinity wars.

Okay, well you redefined the argument by introducing (a) infinite time and (b) redefining (broadening the notion of) dividends. When you frame it like that, yes I agree with you, as I think most people would. But that was not the context of the original discussion. Most investors (including myself) would disagree with the original argument that companies that don't pay (or don't plan to pay) *traditional dividends* have no value.
If a share is known that it will never pay a dividend then technically it is worthless. All stock ownership is based on the net present value of future dividends. Otherwise we are just trading air.

I suppose a tiny bit of residual value would remain because acquiring 51% of all shares of a company would grant you voting control.