Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Glovis Sunlight arrived at Zeebrugge on Friday, 9/13, 4:10am local time. The ship spent quite a long time at SFO, 3,5 days and hasn't left Belgium yet - so likely a bigger shipment of cars on board.

As per the tracking sheet we have 2 more ROROs headed for Europe. That's anywhere between 6-7k cars if I were to guess.
  • The Glovis Courage left SFO on 8/30 and will likely arrive next Friday, 9/19. They will most likely be able to deliver all those cars to customers in time. Capacity is given as 6000 CEU (Car Equivalent Units...an old standard using the historical Toyota Corona as unit of measure at 4x1.5 meters. Model 3 is wider and longer, so capacity is less.)
  • The last ship Hoegh Oslo left Philadelphia after 7pm 9/9 and will likely arrive on 9/18 per marinetraffic.com, that is a day before the Courage. While it is named after the Norwegian capital and is under Norwegian flag, the destination is shown as Zeebrugge... but I wouldn't be surprised if it took some cars directly to Norway after that. Capacity is given as 5400 CEU.
We also have 1 more ship bound for Shanghai. The Lydden departed SFO on 9/5 and will arrive on 9/21. Capacity is 7429 CEU, but it is unlikely that's all Teslas. It was only loaded for exactly 24 hours at SFO, so, don't know maybe 1,5k cars?

The vehicle carrier City of Oslo is now unloading cars at Drammen Harbour. Not the ship you reported on btw.

This webcam shows the ship and cars - but it's located too far away for my eyes to recognice the car models. Forum people in Norway thinks it's TM3s there.

Look for yourself - camera 8 at the bottom of this page:
Webkamera – Drammen havn

The vehicle carrier City of Oslo is now unloading cars at Drammen Harbour. Not the ship you reported on btw.

This webcam shows the ship and cars - but it's located too far away for my eyes to recognice the car models. Forum people in Norway thinks it's TM3s there.

Webkamera – Drammen havn

Well, sure looks like a beautiful late summers day there!

No, they buy Civics for less UP FRONT, but that cost far more over time.

And just like they don't pay in full for anything, they finance it.

BTW, there are also used Teslas available; those can be financed as well . . . .

If people have a short-term mindset, they can expect long-term problems.

I'm sorry that basic grade school and high school math don't include "How to make money, and how not to waste money" in the standard curriculum, but eventually you would think people would figure it out?

Here's some basic economics for you, scarce items in high demand don't get less expensive. There aren't enough evs, new or used, to satisfy the demand cause by the proposed increase of gas prices to $5.

Reactions: AZRI11 and MP3Mike

Webkamera – Drammen havn

Some of the cars in the bottom left corner seem M3s to me.

9c9me61fmkm31.jpg

Source: It is been almost 6 months since the e-tron has been on sale in Norway, and it has done surprisingly well as a premium SUV BEV : teslamotors

and this again from Registreringsstatistikken – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

That doesn't look like a good sales trend; looks downhill to me. It's been downhill in the US, too. Also, why is that graph only one country, and only compared to the (much larger) Model X?

Well, at least it's not as bad as I-Pace. They've now dropped below 1000 per month globally, and below 200 per month in the US.

Yes the trend looks downhill.

I belive they may have Osborned themselves a bit launching the e-Tron 50 which is much cheaper than the e-Tron 55 but won't be in custmers hands before ca. January.

The 50 from 499 000 NOK
The 55 from 663 180 NOK

The main difference is the shorter range.

Bob Lutz on CNBC briefly offers temperate comment on TSLA by saying to see how this quarter goes. Joe K. actually said In plain words they regret the lack of controversial tweets from EM.

Seems to me from an investor perspective the story of the weekend is the recalculation of the risk component of ICE autos with fuel security questions as well as union issues and building climate change anxiety in a US election year. How do auto stocks get valued.

A Model X got into an accident this morning in Croatia. Apparently, it has hit a concrete guardrail after having improper speed and improper overtaking.
But as Google translates the article, "happy happiness in accident" as the passengers were unharmed after the serious impact :D

Check the article for images: Auto smrskan na vijaduktu Limska draga, putnici neozlijeđeni

I don't have access to the full note, but here is the headline:

Tesla's (TSLA) European NDR Implies Profitability Could Be At A Turning Point - Deutsche Bank
Deutsche Bank analyst Emmanuel Rosner reiterated a Hold rating and $245.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) after hosting Tesla’s...

Does anyone have access to this article?
I presume NDR here stands for Non-deal roadshow?
If so, it sounds like Tesla IR may be signalling at investor meetings that Q3 could be profitable.

This article claims that only a third of the damage might be repaired quickly:

Someone ["Homeboy"] left this interesting comment two days ago in the FT - I think it's worth pasting almost in its entirety, as it describes the stricken plant's workings and importance in some detail.

As for this strike, it all depends on the extent of damage on the stabilisation plant - it is so unbelievably critical in taking GOSP (gas-oil separation plants) oil to become marketable crude oil later to be refined. These sixty odd plants take raw field crude mixture of oil, gas, sand and water to be separated for further processing. In the GOSP, the oil is depressurised in multiple spheroids to free the dissolved gases.

After depressurisation, water and dissolved gases are extracted from the oil. The depressurised oil is sent to the stabilisation unit, where it is pumped into 18 stabiliser columns. Final gas separation and removal of hydrogen sulphide take place in the stabilisation unit.

The resultant dry, hydrogen sulphide-free, stabilised oil is sent to the refining plants in Ras Tanura and Jubail on the east coast, Yanbu on the west coast and Bapco in Bahrain.

The off gases from the oil processing unit are sent to the NGL facility for processing.

Feed gas received from the oil processing unit is compressed in NGL's compression trains and passed through the stripper columns and de-ethaniser column. The resultant effluent from the columns consists of overhead light gases and NGL product (oil).

The light gases are transported to other gas plants for processing and the NGL product is sent to the Ras Tanura refinery for fractionation (a separation process). There are 5 stabilisation plants throughout the Kingdom. Abqaiq the one hit being by far and away the largest with 13m bpd capacity but Aramco claim only 6.1m bpd capacity - perhaps holding back idle spare capacity for emergencies. The other 4 plants process about 2.6m bpd of GOSP crude.

This was a very smart strategic strike and no Houthi rebel concocted this level of sophistication, Iranian hands are all over this. The plant is one massive compressed gas sphere, if the whole plant is down it will take a year to rebuild. The impact to the giant Ghawar oil field cannot be underestimated (3.8mill bpd). If Saudi is unable to stabilise 7mill bpd oil then this is much larger than the Gulf War, $20-30/bbl crude moves back to the $85 recent highs are not unwarranted. IEA and SPR crude and product releases will be the next steps.

If however the damage is minor and Saudi use the spare stabilisation capacity then the price impact is minor. However, the market had mispriced oil political tail risk for some time now and the stakes have been raised. Saudi/Iranian conflict is one step closer no matter what happens to the bicycle stabilisers.

Source: Subscribe to read | Financial Times

By the way - what's to stop more strikes on similar [or the same] targets by similar methods? My take is that after some in-depth recon, assets were put in place nearby with clear knowledge of what to strike to maximise the damage. Widely available commercial drones with relatively small quantities of "plastic" explosive would do the trick. I've been waiting for this to happen, actually.

3 weeks in a row, Northern VA M3 new inventory (200 miles) at 100+. Prior to that, mostly used to be 50 max.
Either inventory not going down, or production in step with keeping inventory at same level.

Anyone seeing the same in other (US) areas?
On EV CPO it shows 727 in Model 3 inventory. Last week it was at 450. The week before 272.

The website shows 25 in Kansas City which is honestly the most I remember seeing.
I would think increased production means higher inventory and the inventory is going up now because they are going to sell as many as they can in the US at the end of the quarter before loading ships up again for overseas delivery.

Someone ["Homeboy"] By the way - what's to stop more strikes on similar [or the same] targets by similar methods? My take is that after some in-depth recon, assets were put in place nearby with clear knowledge of what to strike to maximise the damage. Widely available commercial drones with relatively small quantities of "plastic" explosive would do the trick. I've been waiting for this to happen, actually.

This was not done with widely available commercial drones. These were almost certainly military grade.

Reactions: Fact Checking
I find it quite astonishing that $GM is only down 2% in pre-market. How can this be when not only has the workforce voted to strike, but the events in KSA must be negatively impacting all industries reliant on oil.

You can be sure that if Tesla employees walked-out, we'd drop massively.

GM's American blue collar workforce has voted to strike.

It seems they have remedied their Canadian situation.

GM Mexican,Chinese,Brazilian etc workforces not on strike.

It has 80 days supply of pickup trucks and pickup truck based SUVs. About 72 days overall. Tesla does not have an 72-80 day supply of vehicles.

It has 80 days supply of pickup trucks and pickup truck based SUVs. About 72 days overall. Tesla does not have an 72-80 day supply of vehicles.

The high inventory counts are for the slower selling GM models though, according to this article there might be inventory shortages for more popular models though, if the strikes go on longer than inventory levels last:

United Auto Workers Launch Strike At 55 GM Facilities | HuffPost

"Analysts at Cox Automotive said GM has enough vehicles on dealer lots to last about 77 days at the current sales pace. That’s well above the industry average of 61. But supplies of the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban large SUVs, which generate big money for the company, are well below the industry average."​

The stock price drop is probably due to the fact that GM management will probably have to concede more to the workers in their negotiations than what was realized in the stock price so far.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and humbaba
Does anyone have access to this article?
I presume NDR here stands for Non-deal roadshow?
If so, it soundslike Tesla IR may be signalling at investor meetings that Q3 could be profitable.

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/1e70a30c-20a7-48b3-a1f6-696a7c517959

TSLA Q2 was a loss of $390M.

Enhanced summon release may add $100M-$200M in recognized revenue/profit. The revenue from carbon pooling with Fiat may start to hit this quarter. Model S/X ASPs should increase after pre-Raven inventory discounts in Q2. Solar division revenue should have an uptick because of the re-launch. And based on the data so far, Q3 deliveries are looking to be 10-20% over Q2. I think the chances of a profit in Q3 is looking good.

This was not done with widely available commercial drones. These were almost certainly military grade.

Yes, there's widespread misconception about how large military drones are, in reality modern drones have the size of a fighter jet:

aYe9WVL.jpg

The U.S. has hundreds of such large drones, with hundreds of drone pilots remotely tending to them from thousands of miles away when deployed.

And here's how big the drones in Iran's drone fleet are:

Iranian_drone-750x350.jpg

Military drones are basically remote controlled small scale bombers, rocket-ships and surveillance platforms that can inflict serious damage to industrial installations if armed with bombs or short range incendiary rockets. Iran and their Yemenese allies would certainly have the know-how on how to inflict maximum damage to oil processing factories...

A big question is whether these were drones launched from Yemen, or directly from Iran. Even if it's the former I'd expect the Trump administration to lie about it and pretend that the attack came from Iran. Trump absolutely wants the distraction of warfare, he's been building towards an explosive 2020 show of military force for 3 years - and if they are in the year leading up to the November elections then the "Mission accomplished!" glory can be reaped, without the risk of years of ugly aftermath.

There's also the Israeli elections tomorrow, where the far right is using a customary fear based campaign.

The oldest Republican and Democratic trick in the book: U.S. administrations using the show of military force for political purposes is a bipartisan concept.

Last edited: