Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Atlanta, I have driven by apartment complexes that advertise in big signs and banners that they have EV charging. Obviously potential tenants are asking about this, and for now this can be a significant differentiator in a competitive rental market.

A friend of mine bought a Model 3 first, and looked for apartments second. He found a building that advertised EV charging, only to find after signing the lease that it was non-functional (the management is fixing it now). Seems like they were only ticking boxes for LEED certification.

A friend of mine bought a Model 3 first, and looked for apartments second. He found a building that advertised EV charging, only to find after signing the lease that it was non-functional (the management is fixing it now). Seems like they were only ticking boxes for LEED certification.
Breach of contract perhaps, if management does not keep it in working order.

Ah, no. This is a common fallacy that has been thoroughly debunked. The reality is that the variables that best predict carbon footprint are per capita living space, energy used for household appliances, meat consumption, car use, and vacation travel.

View attachment 455745
It’s not that the pro-environmental behaviors chosen by wealthy, eco-conscious people don’t reduce energy use and carbon footprint. They do, just not by very much. And what effect they have is swamped by the much larger effects of wealth, age, and status.

EDIT: click the image above for the 2015 Oxfam Study: (in PDF format)
"EXTREME CARBON INEQUALITY"
- Why the Paris climate deal must put the poorest, lowest emitting and most vulnerable people first

Private jets get around 5mpg and carry 10,000 gallons of fuel. On the flip side, it is not the bottom 99% that is creating 130mpg cars. After Elon conquerors the car market, I would love to see him take on the airline industry.

All other things equal +3.5% of drag reduces a top speed of 300 km/h to about 289 km/h.

As aero engineer I am fact checking you most of the time and I am taking this rare opportunity to intervene.

3.5% more drag at 300 km/hr drops the speed to 295 km/hr. So it's not as bad.

Speed is squared on drag so you have to root square the drag factor (294.7 * sqrt(1.035) = 300).

(proof that you are not Elon btw)

I actually googled last night what exactly went wrong with the project, because I was curious. And while a ton of ideas were put forward, a number were more convincing than others, including:
  • The referendum was too proscriptive. Referendum results are for all practical purposes effectively bound in stone. If the referendum spells out in detail specific details about the project, the project cannot adapt based on issues that come up during development.
  • The project put too much of a political focus on getting Central Valley residents supportive of the project - something which it never actually accomplished.
  • The project started building in the Central Valley (for the aforementioned reason), effectively locking even more of the project in stone and restraining its ability to adapt further.
  • The project was based on excessive amounts of over-optimism, including on:
    • Initial ridership estimates
    • Initial price estimates
    • Federal support (relying on other people giving you massive amounts of support that they're not committed to = bad idea)
    • Private support (same)
  • The project cost estimates were in 2007 dollars, which grew both with inflation and overruns, but the ~$9B offset was in constant dollars, and thus became an ever-diminishing amount relative to the total costs.
There were a lot of others, but these were the ones that stood out in my mind.

The thing that annoys me is that such a high-profile failure is going to discourage others - to a lesser extent even outside of the US - from embarking on ambitious transit projects.

Sad but true, I really wanted this project to succeed, there needs to be more high speed rail outside the Northeast Corridor in this country.

Someone mentioned Hyperloop as an alternative. I am skeptical of Hyperloop, but something like Maglev though expensive per mile may be the answer. What could have been.

This latest head fake has caught me flat footed again. Simple fact is TSLA just does not trade like other stocks. The strength it showed going to 254 like a bat outta hell...is just gone. Manipulators cashing in big time all the time on this one. Good for them I guess.
No one should mistake TSLA for a momentum stock. If you're waiting for the stock to good up before you buy, you're going to lose money. The shorts are too effective at reversing upward movement and sustaining downward momentum. Most of the time the stock price is in a downward trend. The exceptions to that are where the price shoots up quickly and unexpectedly. So the best time to buy is toward the end of a very long downward trend, before the stock shows any promise of recovery or even halting the downward trend.

This latest head fake has caught me flat footed again. Simple fact is TSLA just does not trade like other stocks. The strength it showed going to 254 like a bat outta hell...is just gone. Manipulators cashing in big time all the time on this one. Good for them I guess.

Will hit even harder when the Q3 delivery report gets published.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
As aero engineer I am fact checking you most of the time and I am taking this rare opportunity to intervene.

3.5% more drag at 300 km/hr drops the speed to 295 km/hr. So it's not as bad.

Speed is squared on drag so you have to root square the drag factor (294.7 * sqrt(1.035) = 300).

(proof that you are not Elon btw)

You are right on both counts! :D

I was driving from the southern Netherlands to Belgium this morning and in half an hour time I saw 4 trailers packed with Model 3 heading the other way. I also overtook 2 empty trailers going in the other direction :)

Hey guys!

Have been lurking since forever, stockholder since 2013, accumulating ever since.
Today I drove from Tilburg, NL to Antwerp, BE. It takes about an hour. Counted 11 trucks full of Model 3's going towards Tilburg.
More than 1 every 6 minutes!

Thanks for the amazing read, from 2013 until now! Definitely worth it! Cheers!

Already known, but thanks for checking again :)

The Taycan was also pre-production (the "record" was "set" before the official production start date given out by Porsche), stripped and with a roll-cage, and on non-stock, unnamed "summer tires" (you can only configure the vehicle with all-seasons) (Porsche gave out deliberately misleading wording, stating that it was on "production 21-inch wheels wrapped in summer tires" - the wheels are indeed stock (the 21" 'Mission E' wheels), but the tires are not available stock).

@KarenRei That isn't true. By default the Taycan comes with summer tires, but you can optionally, for $0, opt to have it come with all season tires. You don't have to pick a tire option, or are you saying if you don't select the all seasons that it would come without any tires at all? :eek: (Which I highly doubt as they won't even let you order it without their portable EVSE.)

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Subject: Nürnburgring

A German newspaper claims that one of its observers measured a hand-stopped lap time of 7:23.
In comparison the unofficial time of the Taycan: 7:42.

Source: (article in german)
Tesla-Attacke auf der Nordschleife
Only the part with header: "Handgestoppte 7:23 Minuten – Porsche locker geschlagen" is new, rest of the article is just general inforamtion regarding the Tesla Porsche contest (#Massacre).

If this time is right, a racetrack optimized Model S P100DL should also be able to beat the Taycan record with the normal Raven engines.

How are you judging the performance margin between Raven P100DL and Plaid P100D++?