Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I don't think that analysis gives the Tesla a fair shake. At the end of 150,000 miles you still own the car. The Tesla Model 3 will be worth a lot more than the Camry.

...and is immune to the risks of carbon tax, oil crisis, CBD pollution tolls, sudden devaluation due to FSD coming to pass, and shame embarrassment whenever surrounded by EV owning peers.

Is there any indication how the general public is responding to Adv Summon so far?
Weirdly when I point out I’m summoning, people just politely say “Oh that’s neat”. I am completely shocked. I would think they would be completely blown away by such a technological advancement, but I think people come to expect amazing tech advancements so much, that it no longer provides shock and awe. I have had a couple of people say “Oh that must be a Tesla”.

'Come to Me' hit a parking pole : teslamotors

Model X Quickly Accelerates Toward Approaching Car in Smart Summon : teslamotors

Handicap parking poles w/Smart Summon : teslamotors

These are the one's that would make me nervous enough to disable it completely and wait it out until a future update. Not quite impressed yet as an investor.

Last edited:

Model X Quickly Accelerates Toward Approaching Car in Smart Summon : teslamotors

These are the one's that would make me nervous enough to disable it completely and wait it out until a future update. Not quite impressed yet as an investor.
I think I would call that veering toward approaching car, I did not see any accelerating. That was very bad though. I find my summons uncomfortably across the center of undivided parking lot lanes, hopefully a fix for that and some sort of actual avoidance (back up, not just stop) will come soon.

New GF3 video:

What do you think the busses are there for? Initial work crews being bussed in? Experienced Tesla production crew from the US bussed in to train the locals?

Busses at GF3.png

Let me ask you this: why is cloud computing becoming so popular among SaaS companies? I ask because the the premise is similar and the answer demonstrates why you are wrong.

It not to save money. Its because:
  • It allows exchanging CAPEX for OPEX
  • Flexibility. Less demand? No problem. More demand? No problem. Change in tech? No problem.
  • You can concentrate on value adding work
T

OT

Let me add to this . From own experience, the top reason is:

• Nobody ever get's fired for putting something in an AWS / Azure / Whatever cloud

In memory of "Nobody ever get's fired for buying IBM (R.I.P)". Yes, shows my age. But as a consultant, that's what I hear off the records. And not just once. It's in the cloud and doesn't work? Hey, not my problem. Surely there's someone else to blame.

How about you talk to State Farm, AAA, and Amica. I would love if you can help get my insurance as low as what it was before.

A used Honda Accord costs less to insure than a new Tesla? Yes, every time I bought a new car my insurance rates went up. That's because the replacement cost of a used car is a lot lower. :rolleyes:

If you want low insurance rates, drive a car that's worth less.

Actually, I don't think that analysis gives the Tesla a fair shake. At the end of 150,000 miles you still own the car. The Tesla Model 3 will be worth a lot more than the Camry.

Agree. For quite a few more years I think most of the public will quite likely take a dismissive “show me” attitude (most likely to be intensified by fossil fuel pay-to-play media allies) but eventually, Teslas are extremely likely to have a massive advantage in resale value. Perhaps 40-50% after 150k miles vs. ~25% for a reliable ICE like a Camry. So a $40k at purchase Model 3 may be worth ~$18k vs ~$7k for a Camry bought for $28k.

This alone would bring the cost of the Model 3 within $1k of the Camry, adding in fueling savings would give the 3 a nice win (though to be rigorous there’s an opportunity cost of money in paying more upfront for the Model 3).

This is putting aside the hardware included in all Teslas for AP aiming for FSD capability (and hopefully hitting FSD for cars built today) that are not found in the Camry and other ICE cars.

fwiw, from a quick google search

Toyota Camry Depreciation

Last edited:
Here’s the ERCOT mix. There’s a lot of NG, so I can’t tell you why they don’t spool down more of it on windy nights.
View attachment 468290

If the wind is blowing briskly, they are probably generating more electricity than the off-peak demand. Imagine if you could get free gasoline in the middle of the night. People would set their alarm clocks to drive to the station offering it.

These are the ones that would make me nervous enough to disable it completely and wait it out until a future update. Not quite impressed yet as an investor.

Not sure I trust the sources and sounds exaggerated. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, just gotta be on our toes here.

#1 - Not even a photo of the damage?
#2 - It wasn't accelerating and it did stop. I saw no path in that direction to turn, so why would it even start a turn? Was someone in the car maybe?
#3 - Vague. If the car can make it through the poles safely, what's the issue?

My question pertained to public response in parking lots. If 3 weak examples are the only mishaps after only being public for 3 weeks, I'd say Tesla's doing quite well and the shorts have reason to be concerned. This is like 2525 technology overnight.

You were expecting something better?

I think I would call that veering toward approaching car, I did not see any accelerating. That was very bad though. I find my summons uncomfortably across the center of undivided parking lot lanes, hopefully a fix for that and some sort of actual avoidance (back up, not just stop) will come soon.

I keep hearing this but mine doesn't cut across lanes. (Maybe I misunderstood "undivided parking lot lanes").
I practice in mostly empty lots (while in the car actually). It goes all the way to the end of the row and back down the other side for a spot 10' away... and no cars present. Go figure? I'm running AP2.5 still.

The Telegraph just published a potentially interesting article. I can't read it as it's paywalled and I'm not a subscriber, but it seems to be suggesting Europe might be willing to slacken their legislation on Tesla's behalf. Would be nice if they stopped gimping autopilot so much in Europe. Europe considers relaxing self-driving laws under pressure from Tesla

The complete text of the article was posted on reddit: Europe considers relaxing self-driving laws under pressure from Tesla : teslamotors

This is about changing the UN rules that are adopted by European regulators. Key points:
- Time limit for auto lane change proposed to increase from 5 sec to 20 sec (in Europe lane changes often time out because of that and are aborted half way through which is very annoying)
- No changes proposed yet to enable Smart Summon in Europe yet

Last edited:

Just tonight my car on Autopilot tried to leave the lane (which was marked well with white lines) and hit one of those flimsy short poles to clearly mark lanes people seem to run over from time to time. So it ignored both the while lines and the small poles.

No, I won't be trying out the summon feature. I have enough trouble just getting the durn thing charged.