Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT
In case things rings a bell to anyone else:

Per the discussion earlier about young folks and Tesla, check out the shout out to Tesla by the young innovator in this heartwarming NYT article: Teenager Wins $25,000 for Science Project That Solves Blind Spots in Cars

The retro reflective part to avoid annoying passengers is an interesting approach, but this has been done before.
Continental’s 'see-through' A-pillars use cameras, OLEDs to nix blind spots
Back in 2014:
Jaguar Land Rover develops 'transparent' A-pillar and ghost car [w/video]

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and capster
Round 3
A435147E-3A30-4A4D-BE40-EE789DEC6D87.png

Tesla Call Traders Target Deep Out-of-the-Money Strikes

Looking through today's options data, Trade-Alert called out a couple trades in Tesla Inc this morning that grabbed our attention. Specifically, it looks as though a traders spent roughly $1 million combined buying the June 500 and January 2022 600-strike calls. With TSLA last seen at $335.36, it would need to rally 49% to top $500, and almost 80% to get to $600.

MMs don't care. They delta hedge.

People who don't hedge - ironically called Hedged Funds - are likely the ones doing the pushing around. Could also be the result of people closing/rolling their call/put positions.

Well whomever is doing it, seems indeed that $335 makes the most/loses the least this week, which I can live with - consolidates a bit before climbing again next week. NAA

Reactions: Nocturnal
Now its just a numbers game. Tesla has proven it can grow in a very difficult market, and make a factory from scratch in 10 months. So i'm guessing GS wants in on funding the next several GF(s) since it was mentioned that several gigafactories are needed for satisfying local demand....

If GS changed mind, most likely it's because of FSD and Tesla network. They don't understand the tech, but they do understand this is not a "head you win a dollar, tail you lose a dollar" scenario. It's a case that head (FSD) you win 10 fold, tail you lose nothing (leading position in EV and energy still has significant value, both are becoming trillion dollar markets).

Early this year shorts managed to drive down the stock, looking back we can see the move was based on lies. Nothing that shorts said turned out to be true. They even shorted the bond to make it look like the company will fail, now the bond is back up too.

In the past, many shorts had a valuation model that Tesla has a hard market cap limit of 80B, they think there is no way such a niche EV maker could become larger than GM+Ford. Because of that faulty model, they were very brave to keep shorting more as the stock goes up. Once they understand this company has a clear path to reach $800B, they will not be so brave to keep adding short position.

I think Tesla's valuation model will be readjusted within the next 12~18 months, so many catalysts are lined up.
Future demand expectation will go up; a lot more people will understand EVs are more compelling than ICE vehicles.
Energy portion will be valued to a positive number instead of zero;
Producing in China and EU can help a lot to reduce cost. Tesla's margin will likely to go up - big surprise for shorts;
FSD is the biggest wild card. I expect this alone to add $100B market cap within 18 months.

Guess what, Yahoo Finance posted the following article a couple of hours ago:
Moving Average Crossover Alert: Tesla

As an investor it is so helpful they point out the Golden Cross between the 50 and 200 day moving averages four days after the fact. That way I can invest in stock after it has proven to be good value since it has rallied so hard.

Thank you Yahoo for your very timely "alerts". No other community site or message board even comes close to the insights you provide on a day tot day basis!

CAREFUL!

I posted that simple fact here at 8:35 PM on Monday and MODS moved it to 'TSLA Technical Analysis' because its a verboten topic:

"I expect a boost from Technicals tomorrow. The 50-day Moving Average should open at about $254.00 forming a "Golden Cross" with the 200-day Moving Average. Technical or Momentum traders could both be drawn in with this setup"​

ATTENTION MODS: A Golden Cross in INFORMATION that affects Investors.

Here's more info: Since the Golden Cross notice, the SP has advanced $18 (+5.6%)

Unlike the 50 latest Apple Rumours, Real Estate advice, and BRAZILIAN BEEF FARTS, which just smell this place up.

Please stop moving or deleting relevant Technical news/events. Its NOT helping anyone.

/rant

To refute some recent posts, I don't have - and I'm pretty confident that no one on TMC has - any good knowledge of what Goldman Sachs is or is not doing.

Absolutely irrespective of that, and much more importantly, for me the single most intriguing trend that has emerged this week is the ratio of positive versus negative news articles.....AND headlines!...concerning TSLA. Mostly in the US press, but a fair amount in Europe and Aus/NZ as well (I've not looked at all at China/Korea/Japan). That can develop into a hugely bullish phenomenon.

Other long-timers: am I correct in thinking there has not been this level of positive press about Tesla since early days (2011-mid-2013)?

It's cyclicle.

Shorts let off their gas around october then redouble their efforts around April.

There was a similar bubbly period back when model S was winning awards and production was steady.

Since I am MUCH older than you Audie, I do remember that. Actually there was lots of what we'd call FUD now, but in 2008-2013 there was some magnificent highs and lots of lows. There was not enough volume for anybody to short so the only questions we to survive or to die and most observers back them were rooting for survival but not at all sure. At the same time lost of people expected that SpaceX would destroy the nascent Tesla. So, sound minds had serious doubts.

Others who were around then may have better insight than do I. The documentation is a bit sketchy. I do recall actually buying TSLA shares in 2012, but regarded it as a speculation for something I wanted to work but expected to fail. In the end it seems as though i knew what I was doing but I did not.

The professional shorts hit hard around the end of 2013 when fires began to happen. They've never stopped AFAIK.

I started following Tesla closely in the spring of 2012, and the short position was already in the far far outlier realm at that point (in the 20s percentage wise). I don't know where things stood from the IPO in 2010 up to the point I started watching.

CAREFUL!

I posted that simple fact here at 8:35 PM on Monday and MODS moved it to 'TSLA Technical Analysis' because its a verboten topic:

"I expect a boost from Technicals tomorrow. The 50-day Moving Average should open at about $254.00 forming a "Golden Cross" with the 200-day Moving Average. Technical or Momentum traders could both be drawn in with this setup"​

ATTENTION MODS: A Golden Cross in INFORMATION that affects Investors.

Here's more info: Since the Golden Cross notice, the SP has advanced $18 (+5.6%)

Unlike the 50 latest Apple Rumours, Real Estate advice, and BRAZILIAN BEEF FARTS, which just smell this place up.

Please stop moving or deleting relevant Technical news/events. Its NOT helping anyone.

/rant
I, for one, want to hear more about the BBFs you mentioned. Those could contribute to global warming- which is tangentially related to Tesla’s mission...

So how long until David Einhorn buys himself a Tesla?

Test driving a Tesla is dangerous - as I know. But on the other hand there is stubborn pride. Hmm.
Yes, this is an opportunity for Musk to turn Einhorn, maybe slim odds though.

It might just possibly give Einhorn an opportunity to save face (if not money): “Elon, if only you’d dropped me a line earlier."