Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few of my notes on Mach E

1) In terms of design, the Mach E hood / front seems too huge for whatever purpose it has.

2) clearly they are sticking to the point that they won’t invest in sedan and only focus on SUV.

3) one has to check but the interior looked Not bigger than model 3. (Again the hood seems too big). Styling seems that they wanted to copy Tesla but couldn’t have the courage to go the whole distance (they seem to have hedged with some buttons and knobs around).

4) felt a bit cheesy the way the whole launch was orchestrated. Like too well rehearsed. They had to bring an actor to create the pull/presence.

5) final point: seems Ford is trying to imitate Tesla. The style, the launch, the performance parameters etc. I wonder if they know is that you can’t out-innovate if you are copying the competition. Nothing for example, felt unique or better than model Y.

But as most Tesla enthusiasts I wish Ford the very best in this journey.

Mustang Mach-E
I did like the exterior but if you take the Mustang logo off the grill, I would not recognize it as a Mustang.
Some in the Mustang crowd are not liking this:

#notamustang hashtag on Twitter

Ford doing the same thing to the Mustang name that BMW did to the ///M badge. Slap on crossover SUVs and sell more than you ever did the performance cars that made the name famous, money rolls in. Hell, Porsche is mainly an SUV company and the Taycan will mainly be a halo vehicle to get people to purchase BEV Macans and Cayennes. It has worked before, so it probably will again.
Who said this electric car revolution thing ain't happenin'! ;)

It's one thing if something looks cool on a sci-fi movie est and a different matter what people would actually drive home. But Hans is yet to disappoint, so I am optimistic.
Yeah, and his brother Franz doesn't disappoint either! Here they are together at the recent 'Cybertank' reveal event, with special guest star NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers:

Cheers! ;)

5) final point: seems Ford is trying to imitate Tesla. The style, the launch, the performance parameters etc. I wonder if they know is that you can’t out-innovate if you are copying the competition. Nothing for example, felt unique or better than model Y.

It is a recipe for beating the pants off of everyone other than Tesla whose delivered an EV, which it has. I think Ford will do very well with this car.

So, Tesla/Ford supply constrained, one despite ramping up as fast as possible, one because ramping up faster has some point of increased speed which bankrupts the company by Osborning its own ICE business.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I have a hard time with Mustang and SUV in the same sentence. I understand what they are trying to do but I would just have left the Mustang out of it and it would be better. It does not really look like a Mustang IMO except for a very few design cues that lack nuance IMO.

I would be fine with calling it an eMax or something. What they have done is begin every first impression with a mental discordance that drags out the many ways it is not a Mustang.

It has that big hood with a largish frunk but my experience is that most people use the frunk reservedly so I don't know if that space will be optimally utilized. In an EV the cabln can be moved forward but they have squandered that benefit in an effort to link it to a vehicle that has quite different design requirements.

The cabin is ok. I have a few years experience with SYNC but I would not care to be saying "Hey Ford", it is better to simply have a button. Having a 4G connection and over-the-air features is a step in the right direction so good move there.

I thought it bizarre that they suggest to charge it just enough at home to get to the office and then charge it at the office. They must be thinking that most owners will be charging on 120v? This is an old mind set that doesn't really understand the idea of EV charging as I see it but maybe others think it is good to tell new EV customers to minimally charge your EV when leaving for work? It is like they are reinforcing range anxiety. Some one should be fired for that one.

I heard them say some good sensible things but then I think I heard them say that the traditional ICE Mustang was never going away.

I have to say that this seems like more of a placeholder vehicle to keep their name in the EV race and to give their dealers a chance to see the writing on the wall when they try out that GT.

It is a recipe for beating the pants off of everyone other than Tesla whose delivered an EV, which it has. I think Ford will do very well with this car.

So, Tesla/Ford supply constrained, one despite ramping up as fast as possible, one because ramping up faster has some point of increased speed which bankrupts the company by Osborning its own ICE business.

I definitely like this offering over the German ones, but I have to think that Ford is going to have to attract new buyers to the brand with the Mach-E. I feel like typical Ford owners would have preferred a PHEV more than a BEV, or at least it would be easier to talk them into one.

This may be my Midwestern bias showing though.

The reason the founders of Tesla chose to get into the car business more than twelve years ago was that laptop batteries had become good enough and cheap enough to make electric cars possible. They chose to use these cells, instead of the Pouch or “prismatic” cells being used in electric car conversions. Every ice manufacturer chooses to use the prismatic cells that cost more, weigh more, and don’t last as long. Why, because its easier to engineer. Idiots!

We do know battery packs have been the limiting factor for Model 3 production previously, at least one of the major ones.
From what we know, or what is rumored, battery PACKS have NOT been a limiting factor since about Fall 2017 when Tesla replaced the useless junk automated bty pack robots with Grohmann v1 bty pack robots.

The limitation since then has been on the Panasonic side of GF1, specifically a shortage of battery CELLS. Now, we think Panasonic is working to increase cell output from an annualized level of 28Gwh/yr in 2019Q2 to 35Gwh/yr by the end of 2019Q4.

All these cells wiill be needed to support 10K/wk Model 3s combined production split between Fremont and Shanghai, then 10K/wk Models 3/Y at Fremont alone beginning in 2020Q2.

After that, if Tesla wants to ramp more production for Model Y at Fremont while maintaining Model 3 production levels, Telsa will likely need more cells. But that need will first arise AFTER 'Bty and Powetrain Investor Day', which we expect in 2020Q1.

Cheers!

Here's some OT entertainment. Open in incognito tab(chrome) or private window(ff).

TeslaCharts on Twitter

Shortie fights...

View attachment 477412

Although, that BEARDIE does look like a troll. They are still trying to figure out which one should be blocked.
One thing I would caution about is drawing too many conclusions from the eu-evs.com data. Remember those are only 3 countries - though responsible for 40% of Tesla EU sales this year - and all 3 have something "special" about them.
- The Netherlands has the upcoming tax change that is pulling a lot of demand forward. Q4 should be a record, no question about it, they may even become the No1 Tesla market in Europe this year, but there is a danger that we could fall of a cliff in Q1 like we did in Denmark a few years back,
- Norway is the No1 EV market in Europe and is traditionally a huge Tesla buyer. Absolutely not indicative of other countries. Also, it looks like demand has - naturally - stabilized at a lower level here than Q1 and Q2 indicated and it feels like Tesla has become a bit too mainstream,a victim of its own success. The Audi e-tron is selling like hot cakes here, several times the Model X sales, even though the range and efficiency are way worse than the X which was a big hit here.
- Spain is a very small EV market, much smaller than the country's size would suggest.
i think it’s too early to tell. They only have two ships to Europe so far and it sounds like most have gone to Netherlands and UK so far. Ship 3 just arrived and two more ships arrive the next 10 days and ship 6 about two weeks out. Hopefully they have time for 2 or 3 more ships. They have more then usual going to Asia and additional container ships to smaller countries.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Would have been nice to mention during reveal...
Screenshot_20191117-223055_Chrome.jpg

The reason the founders of Tesla chose to get into the car business more than twelve years ago was that laptop batteries had become good enough and cheap enough to make electric cars possible. They chose to use these cells, instead of the Pouch or “prismatic” cells being used in electric car conversions. Every ice manufacturer chooses to use the prismatic cells that cost more, weigh more, and don’t last as long. Why, because its easier to engineer. Idiots!

Wrong on most points.
Prismatic cells (or rather packaging) wont change those properties of the batteries. Other car makers are using NMC type cell material which is safer but more expensive. Tesla uses NCA which is cheaper, has slightly higher energy density but not as safe (lower thermal runaway temperature).
NMC lasts longer than NCA. So wrong on that point as well.

Last edited: