Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Chanos rumor turns out to be true, what's the best part of it?

a. Chanos is broke
b. The news could start a massive short covering and trigger a historic squeeze
c. We could all make a LOT of money
d. We never have to see that SOB's ugly mug on TV again

I'm going with d!
No, a. is the best answer. I actually look forward to seeing him on CNBC explaining why he had to cover.

Reactions: humbaba
The trouble with NG is leaking pipelines. Fugitive emissions of CH3/methane have nearly as much global warming potential as all the NG burned properly inside plants.

I have a lot of trouble believing that the leak rate for power plants is anywhere near 2,9%. Perhaps for home distribution you might get a couple percent (I have no trouble believing that!), but NG power plants involve dramatically simpler distribution systems, much more controlled circumstances than hundreds of millions of homes withpipes in various states of disrepair snaking through walls and floors, and people with their pilot lights out spewing gas, people leaking gas as they fire up their stoves, etc etc.

I'll need to dig through some of the papers when I get a chance, to see what they actually say. But I seriously, seriously doubt any meaningful fraction of the leaks come from peakers and the distribution infrastructure leading up to them.

Furthermore, let's just pretend it's true. Let's pretend that peaker warming impact is literally doubled. So? Peaker warming impact is almost nothing compared to other sources. Almost nothing times 2... let's see.... multiply by the nothing... carry the nothing...

NG Peaker plants are part of the problem, and they have to go.

More here: "New Natural Gas Plants Can “Lock In” High Emissions for Decades"

Canada Is Replacing Coal With Natural Gas — And That’s A Huge Problem | The Narwhal

Your article (from "Thenarwhal.ca") doesn't load for me, but from the title, it does not sound like it's about peakers. Coal isn't being replaced by peakers, it's being replaced by combined cycle baseload NG plants.

And I'll reiterate: they can't "go" because we literally do not currently have a realistic, cost-effective system to replace them in terms of backup power for multi-day geographically-broad wind-solar lulls, which legitimately do occur far too statistically commonly to ignore. Maybe some day we will, but that day is not today.

Try pricing amortizing, say, 5 days of storage. Tesla's large projects are $350/kWh installed. That's $42k/kW/5d. Amorized over the 15-year lifespan at 5% interest, $332/mo/kW. Do you find that acceptable? And we're only talking a 5-day lull. Bad weather patterns can lock in longer than that. The worst case is a major volcanic eruption, which can dim the whole globe dramatically for many months on end. Laki's last eruption for example froze the Mississippi at New Orleans. Writers wrote of burning-glasses (magnifyng glasses for starting fires) being unable to ignite dry brush.

But that's an extreme case. Simple lulls, however, are not.

Last edited:
the chanos thing is unsubstantiated, yet some of you are commenting as if it’s real. facts or opinions fine...rumors portrayed as fact, please don’t here

Agreed. Google "Chanos covers TSLA" and the top posts are from TMC circa 2018. I'm not expecting this to be real. Though if it ends up being true I won't complain. :)

Boys and girls ....we have won.
The tide has turned...... the sideline sitters now know the truth.

They can either join...(and now it cost's them dearly to do so)...or they can fade to nothing.

Never has a path been so clear.

No matter the money or muscle amassed against clean energy....we have won.
I wish I could share your optimism.

Remember, there are developments on both sides. The Saudi Aramco IPO is about to put one to two trillion dollars in the hands of an autocratic sociopath in the Middle East no less (What could possibly go wrong with that? :eek:).

Strategies will shift, but the war will continue for some time.

@KarenRei You raise good points but the fight always starts in the margins. The fewer peaker plants running the better. If displaced by batteries and renewables..better. That in turn puts pressure on the remaining infrastructure. Just as with cars, did the car world do more than yawn at Roadster v1..nope, they ignored it; you start at the margins and the fight is not this year or next year but my childrens years. So we start now and yes, it is exciting to see it starting. It seems that by 2030 the combined cycle plants won't be competitive vs new renewables. Which has nothing to do with today's investment except in the most grand way of thinking about it or a long term investor willing to sit for 10 years or more.

Today every estimate of efficiency and market gains by renewables has been woefully short. Good for the world and Tesla share holders.

Reactions: canoemore and UrsS
One problem with #1. Induction machines can be "idled" at highway speeds, increasing efficiency. SRPM machines can not.
Tesla's instantiation of an AC induction motor can not be 'idled': it has no clutch. The machinery is always turning.

Even at constant speed on a flat road, there is always a requirement for the motor to provide torque. That's how they overcome tire resistance. Otherwise, the 'idled' motor leaves the rolling resistance of its tires to be dragged along by the other powered axle.

Its more efficient to drive the motor just hard enough to overcome that friction. The way Tesla minimizes losses is to 'torque sleep' the AC motors. SRPM motors are never idled either, just controlled intelligently.

So your 'problem' is not an issue for Tesla, because they're smart like that. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I wish I could share your optimism.

Remember, there are developments on both sides. The Saudi Aramco IPO is about to put one to two trillion dollars in the hands of an autocratic sociopath in the Middle East no less (What could possibly go wrong with that? :eek:).

Strategies will shift, but the war will continue for some time.
Oh I doubt much of that will be anything but Saudi money being moved from super wealthy back to the state. No one is buying at that valuation. The Roadshow is canceled in many places, it is marketed mostly at home. It just moves it from state to privatish ownership. Shifting the bank accounts around so to speak. It was needed because Saudi Arabia is in some cash flow trouble.

the chanos thing is unsubstantiated, yet some of you are commenting as if it’s real. facts or opinions fine...rumors portrayed as fact, please don’t here

still hope he lost everything

Meh. What’s good for the short is good for the long. We’ve been screwed over so many times by rumors, unsubstantiated claims and outright lies. I say we run with the rumor.

I think this is likely to be true. I follow lots of shorts. Recently when a short was talking trash about Tesla, Chanos said if Tesla can keep $25B revenue, it should be fine.

Chanos should know Tesla's revenue will be way more than 25B next year. This combined with the Bloomberg survey results, GF3 gross margin 35~40%, strong Q4 sales, Plaid Model S setting record on track, the stock performance, joining S&P 500 index next year...... all point to one thing: he is wrong, and he knows it. So I was thinking it's only a matter of time when he will close his short on Tesla. I actually hope he will stay short for longer.

After Chanos closes, David Einhorn etc. will panic and close too. These guys already lost confidence, they know they are wrong, they just want to stay stubborn for a little longer.

As a reference, in early 2016, Chanos said he shorted BABA (the stock was around 60). It reached 100 in Jan 2017. Later when someone asked Chanos about his short on BABA, he said he was wrong on BABA, he started closing since Jan 2017. Later 2017, the stock hit above $200.

Since Tesla is a smaller company with much bigger potential relative to BABA, and it's so heavily shorted, I think the squeeze could get much bigger percentage wise compared to BABA.

Long time ago I said to shorts, none of them can give a valid thesis for shorting Tesla. I asked them who is the smartest that's shorting Tesla, they all said Chanos. That's embarrassing. So Chanos is the leader they all look up to. Now if the leader quits (still needs confirmation), the followers will cry.
No worries, TeslaChart is the new leader who shorts BABA and Tesla at the same time.

I'm surprised ford are so confident regarding Mexico and tariffs. Donald Trump isn't exactly a big free-trade fan, and seems to really hate Mexico. Isn't sticking a new high profile car production line in Mexico for a well known AMERICAN company just *begging* him to whack tariffs on it?

He just negotiated a big beautiful new trade deal with Mexico that Nancy Pelosi is inclined to pass this year.

If he slaps tariffs on Mexican cars that is admission he negotiated an extremely bad deal.

Never admitting fault and never apologizing is integral to his brand.

Hope you're working on it. Maybe start a Einhorn covered rumor for compounding effect.
I don’t want Einhorn to cover. I want him to keep trapping dummies. Darwin’s law or something
No worries, TeslaChart is the new leader who shorts BABA and Tesla at the same time.
TeslaCharts is actually a social experiment. He isn’t what you think he is. He’s just rounding up the dipshits for the Put slaughterfest

You need to get extra points for the use of that word! Brilliant.
Still, you are debating semantics. The induction motors combined with the SRPM machines are more efficient than 2 PM or 2 SRPM machines combined. Full stop.
SRPMs are 90% efficient over a wide rpm range. AC motors peak at 82% over a relatively narrow range. That's why Model 3 LR had a single SRPM and not a single AC motor.