Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To save you a few minutes, the punchline is at the end senator Markey requests NHTsa to make tesla disable AP until they figure out how to keep people from defeating the wheel sensor with a water bottle or orange.

Can all Tesla owners in mass call his office and educate him? 617-565-8519 @senmarkey

called and also sent a message via his website. They answered right away. Call!!!!!! But be nice.

And this has EVERYTHING to do with investor forum. Just think how the stock price would do if this went into effect.

I'm on hold with his office now. What he failed to recognize is that he was actually promoting the value of the system. Thousands of people get into accidents due to fatigue every year. The fact that someone is able to fall asleep and wake up 14 miles later without causing harm to themselves or anyone else is a testament to the value of the autopilot system.

Mod: in anticipation, I have renamed the Pickup/truck thread. ALL discussion SHALL go into that thread from the start.
ALL Tesla Pickup/Truck discussion in this thread.
It is also (temporarily) sticky.
--ggr

PS. I'm missing the launch because I'll be on a plane to Sydney. I will be grumpy when I get off. Take the hint.

14 hours on a plane, yeah I would be grumpy too, probably didn't get a window or aisle seat. If you are not driving at your destination, order a couple of overpriced JD and Cokes just after takeoff and you will wake up in Australia feeling a much better................. You're welcome. :D:D:D

Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I don’t want Einhorn to cover. I want him to keep trapping dummies. Darwin’s law or something

TeslaCharts is actually a social experiment. He isn’t what you think he is. He’s just rounding up the dipshits for the Put slaughterfest
I don't think an experiment like that is needed. Many have happened in the past on a larger scale and succeeded, so it is not an experiment. What is needed is a way to hold these people accountable or stop them in their tracks early on.
Just look at #45. We are so used now to hear daily untruths in a large volume that it has become a part of reality.

Sold 100 shares. Still have a truckload more. Thank me later
I have $600 strike calls for every date
These 2 together sound like you have $600 calls for sale ;)

Didn't Elon already give some rough guidance that Q1 2020 would be a difficult due to issues like seasonality? Even Q2 slightly difficult.

Shanghai GF3 ramp is a wildcard, but obviously Elon has set expectations low by saying these will be harder quarters.

I'd say seasonality is no longer a concern with the current wait times.

So this sounds low-key, but it actually is huge news:

If in two days the Chinese Ministry of Industry approves the GF3 made Model 3 for sales in all of mainland China, which was the last bureaucratic roadblock to start deliveries to customers, then this is by far the most bullish news that happened this week so far, because it would give Tesla plenty of time to produce and deliver as many locally made Model 3's as they want to, giving them broad control of the Q4 production, deliveries and earnings narrative.

Kelvin Yang is a reliable source with a good track record.

So, remember what you've said above and don't confuse its effect with the cybertruck reveal. ;)

Who paid him? Time to check all the donations he received from investment groups
Its their fud pitch ahead of FSD. We'll likely see legal action heat up on this. GM cruise is who we might find at the heart of this nag based on that top 10 list in autopilot leaders (spoiler, Tesla didnt make the list lol). But many are also in the same line. Just wish they'd apply the same logic to gun laws.

The counter argument was (on this thread actually) that too many companies are in the self driving game to be concerned here. True, but this is an attempt at crafting (pressuring) NTSB with a scalpul that isolates Tesla from the pack. Although any legal moves would be appealed to the moon, the fud is right there to feed on.

Its their fud pitch ahead of FSD. We'll likely see legal action heat up on this. GM cruise is who we might find at the heart of this nag based on that top 10 list in autopilot leaders (spoiler, Tesla didnt make the list lol). But many are also in the same line. Just wish they'd apply the same logic to gun laws.

The counter argument was (on this thread actually) that too many companies are in the self driving game to be concerned here. True, but this is an attempt at crafting (pressuring) NTSB with a scalpul that isolates Tesla from the pack. Although any legal moves would be appealed to the moon, the fud is right there to feed on.
It could be in the oven at Tesla, cam 9 fixes all nags if they had to. My guess is the Tesla Risk Management staff have the solution already, but owners would hate it. Thats the real impact of this story IMO. If this FUD gets in the way, we will pay in nags.

Here’s why it’s dipping

My first impression was that Senator Markey doesn't strike me as the kind of legislator who is worried about the safety of his constituents over the misuse of a commercial product. But having looked at his voting record I can see that he has emphasized safety issues across multiple industries, from firearms to railroads. He also supported closer scrutiny of the Dakota Pipeline and backs efforts to be more pro-active with regard to climate change. So I don't think he is necessarily anti-Tesla, he is just concerned about these new technologies.

So I think he's being sincere that this potential misuse of auto-pilot really scares him. I think he just needs to be educated. Someone in Massachusetts needs to gently educate him on the safety issues and how disabling AP will actually cause more highway accidents, not fewer as he assumes. He should also be informed that Tesla *has* made the system harder to fool by increasing the required pressure to the point that an orange crammed against the steering wheel "spoke" will no longer suffice. You can over-ride any potential safety device, it's just the amount of effort and innovation required.

Seatbelts can be latched behind the driver to shut off the warning chime, gas caps can be jammed into pump handles so the driver can rely solely on the automatic shut-off mechanism while they shop for beer in the store, etc. What's pertinent here is not whether the system can be misused (any system can be abused) but rather whether abuse is so common that it regularly endangers others.

Would our Massachusetts members please send him some friendly constituent letters gently educating him on this issue and helping to dispel his fears? I suspect he was fooled by one of his anti-Tesla constituents who is trying to use him to slow down the adoption of EV's and the transition away from fossil fuels.

What's pertinent here is not whether the system can be misused (any system can be abused) but rather whether abuse is so common that it regularly endangers others.

Exactly. Consider how *safe* Autopilot is when it is doing its job. If a driver has a heart attack or seizure etc. does the car immediately crash? Or are all occupants saved and other cars around not impacted either? What are the statistics for existing deaths? How many people have suffered so far due to the water bottle/orange trick? Probably zero... OTOH they don't change airliner safety requirements until 500 people are dead.

He also supported closer scrutiny of the Dakota Pipeline and backs efforts to be more pro-active with regard to climate change.
Sen Merkey is the co-sponsor of Green New Deal. He is pretty much at the front of climate change fight in the Senate.

There’s now an official Green New Deal. Here’s what’s in it.

I think Tesla should do more outreach to such Senators & Reps and explain AP and how it will save a lot of lives.

Microsoft had this same kind of "we don't care to lobby in DC" and got burnt.

Didn't Elon already give some rough guidance that Q1 2020 would be a difficult due to issues like seasonality? Even Q2 slightly difficult.

Shanghai GF3 ramp is a wildcard, but obviously Elon has set expectations low by saying these will be harder quarters.

Yes, but that was during a time when demand volume was uncertain, he made that statement when there was a violent drop off in Q1 due to demand being pulled forward for Q4 (declining subsidies). We could very well be out of the woods now in terms of demand as the Q3 letter expounded confidence. If we continue with the current demand moving forward, the outlook may not be as pessimistic.

If a driver has a heart attack or seizure etc. does the car immediately crash? Or are all occupants saved and other cars around not impacted either?

We just had one of those a few days ago here in Jupiter. The ~65 year old man had a "medical episode", crossed the median on A1A, went headon with another car, and killed them both. It seems to be happening way too often lately.

Mod: in anticipation, I have renamed the Pickup/truck thread. ALL discussion SHALL go into that thread from the start.
ALL Tesla Pickup/Truck discussion in this thread.
It is also (temporarily) sticky.
--ggr

PS. I'm missing the launch because I'll be on a plane to Sydney. I will be grumpy when I get off. Take the hint.

Well, good luck with that! <ROFLOL emoji>