Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thing stealing the hearts of hardened truck people not happening. Next gen, for sure.
How do you polish it? No paint ever? People in the north are going to love it, no rust.

Woot! Truck people? No such species. They come in all types. It's like saying "seed birds".

How do you polish it? That's the beauty of it. Who cares! :D

Reactions: capster and madodel
EJ8_msMXkAAuS-c
This should also include cargo capacity.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
Ok I’m past my shock and awe phase. I agree that it’s obvious that Tesla has made some kind of significant advance here but left it to us to figure out what that is exactly. 500 mile range for $69k. That is oceans apart from any competition.

Point is - what’s under the hood - I mean, what’s under the floorboards is way more impactful than this single vehicle design.

Gali is going to go apoplectic over this.

Tesla's website says no paint, FWIW:

If there was something better, we’d use it. Help eliminate dents, damage and long-term corrosion with a smooth monochrome exoskeleton that puts the shell on the outside of the car and provides you and your passengers maximum protection.
(my emphasis)

The roof peak seems like flow won't remain attached at all, causing some pretty bad drag. And, the inspiration that Musk tweeted earlier - the Lotus Esprit - has a flat roof section. (However, the rear aerodynamics look like they're excellent.)

The tall and angled sidewalls on the bed cause issues for some uses - the big things I can think of off the top of my head... things like truck bed campers rely on the overhang to make space, and you can't load 53 bales of hay on it (granted, it's a 6.5' bed, you weren't loading 53 bales of hay anyway).

Ultimately, the Cybertruck feels like it's designed for towing, and for people who think they need a truck because they want something "rugged" but really don't. As in, it's legitimately better than a Real Truck for the poser workload, but because there are Real Truck workloads that it's utterly unable to do, the posers may question it. (But, any legit off-road cred and towing cred will likely outweigh that.)

The unibody architecture makes different configurations harder - an extended cab 8' bed version would be interesting, especially if the high side panels and tonneau could somehow be removable.

With 3500 pound payload, I have trouble believing that any trim level is 8500 lbs or less GVWR - that would require 5000 lbs or less curb weight, and the tri-motor trim may easily be above 10,000 lbs GVWR, unless massive battery breakthroughs get the weight down. This means that registration costs will be significantly higher, and some areas may ban it (this was a problem for H2 buyers when it was popular, as it was over 8500 lbs GVWR).

Speaking of battery breakthroughs, they'll definitely be needed to get the cost down - that 250 mile range will be a 100 kWh pack minimum I'd say, with those aerodynamics and that size.

Motor Trend's report on the prototype confirms what it looked like when it was being beaten upon on stage, that it was hastily put together. Importantly, also, not representative of the final truck.

SP will go down tomorrow (well, today). I'm not sure what it'll do next week (major holiday may dampen any recovery, but I think it may go back up?)

Reactions: skybluecgreen
The interior is an option, this was the base truck they were showing. Add $10K to each model and a huge up charge for paint, At least the companies that do wraps will make a killing,

I would never paint stainless steel.

But why?

I'd be more likely to use abrasives and a rotary tool to etch designs in it if I really felt the need to customize it. Which is unlikely if the truck was so badass to begin with.

You folks must not live in pickup land. I do. People buy trucks that look good all jacked up and makes them feel manly. Every other vehicle in South Ga is a pickup truck, and rarely is anything being hauled or in the bed.

Work trucks are the 5 year old pickups - that used to look good, but not any more.

Every single person I know with a work truck has an F250 or F350.

Regular pickup trucks are nothing more than a fashion statement glamorized by country music. This is NOT going to be glamorized in a country music song!!

It’ll be glamorized in hip hop culture all around the world.

Did anyone get an email after ordering? I didn't, and then I thought I may have ordered the wrong one so I ordered it again. Still no email. After the endless wait for my Sig X I swore I'd never do this again, but I love this thing and the incredible possibilities it offers.

Last observation before heading to bed:

Not 500 miles. Not 400 miles. Not 300 miles.

There is No Way what we saw tonight can get beyond 200 miles on a charge, without something more than a 300kWh battery.

How can your Dear Moderator make such a seemingly careless statement? Easy:

I looked at those energy-chewing tires shown. A case of hand-forged doughnuts to anyone who can convince me those are much better than about 750 wh/mile beasts.