Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We preordered the CT (tri-motor, thank you very much!) because it offers so much more than the Model Y we had initially planned to get, and I think other folks might be feeling the same. I’m also (like so many have said) the LAST person on earth who would have EVER considered a truck, so Tesla did truly design and brand a new product IMO.

For us, the CT will replace our Subaru wagon, which had previously served the purpose of camping/snowboarding/biking/getting dirty. I assumed the Y would’ve been able to accommodate in similar fashion, but it would also be a tremendous overlap to our S, which also does a damned good job, but I’d be lying if I wasn’t concerned when driving the S off the beaten path, through the PA and VT winters, and loading up the roof box. I’d rather it remain our road tripping car or date night stepping out “nice” car. The CT now slots in as a VERY capable and diverse second vehicle for a lot of families. (I have a FIAT 500e that’s our train station / get coffee in town because it’s the size of a bicycle).

All this is to say from an investor perspective, Tesla has a phenomenal current and future lineup of vehicles that might only be rounded out by a “smaller than a Model 3” compact.

It puts Elon's comments about producing the S for sentimentality reasons, explaining how the X is a Faberge egg (complext to produce), and down playing the importance of S/X sales in totality going forward. Dropping the Plaid powertrain into the X is relatively inexpensive compared to a full blown new X generation. What would get Elon's juices flowing, the present X or a new SUV based on the CT? Which would cheaper, easier to build and more profitable?

Then we have the S, with the Roadster rumored to have Carbon Fiber panels, will the next S share the roadster's platform? It would help lower costs some what and yield an untouchable Flagship performance wise.

Yes, in two to three years it will be interesting to see what happens to the S/X line. With the 3,Y and CT being such compelling products, we now understand Elon downplaying the S/X importance. Especially their effect on the bottom line.
My guess, for what it's worth is that the S will likely remain a traditional sedan for some time.
The current X may morph into the smaller Cybertruck. The main advantage for the X over the CT is the falcon wing doors which are great for those with small children that require car seats. Perhaps the smaller CT will have a version of the falcon wing doors (ducks for cover).

Would make a great storm chasing vehicle.
View attachment 481985

A Storm Chaser on Twitter posted his reservation and all the window comments came in..
CT.JPG

Jeff Piotrowski on Twitter

Another thought I had this morning regarding the CT reservations. Some of the haters want to say that most people aren't serious and will back out. To them I say, great, this is still a win. Oh, so you are saying that there are a hundred thousand people who are willing to loan Tesla $100 bucks for X period of time just so they can go on social media and claim they are buying one? Awesome!

This does several things. It validates the truck in the eyes of a larger audience. "Wow, people really love this thing, maybe it's not so weird. My FB feed has several people buying. Let me look again." It brings even more interest to Telsa in general (look at the memes showing how beautiful other Teslas are compared to CT....either way that's a win). And finally, even people who assumed they would cancel will start to think about actually having one. This is essentially marketing inception.

Who needs a garage when you have a living room? I would totally do this if I could convince the wife. "Honey, there's no oil to leak, and no fumes! Can we pleeeze?"
(Substitute Maserati for CT)

View attachment 482004
I'd have to wash my car several times a week if I did that. ;)

Bonaire often comments on my tweets and is one of the less rabid members of $TSLAQ - hasn't actually implemented the block-list, sometimes comes with rational (although mostly incorrect) statements.

I will point out that "incorrect" implies that it is not consistent with the facts. How can his statements be considered "rational" if they are not consistent with the facts? o_O

I'm not ordering a Cybertruck. I don't need the hauling or towing capacity, and my MX already seats 7 (which I use on a regular basis). Now a CyberVan that seats 15 I could totally get into.
I wonder if they could extend the roofline, ditch the roll down cover, and add a 3rd or 4th row to the bed area without too much redesign.

Electrek is reporting that the first year of Mustang Mach-E production is limited to 50k cars and has been sold out.

They forgot to report that almost all those deliveries will be delayed into the following year.

It doesn't seem like it is likely to hurt the Model Y sales much, if at all.

Thank God for small miracles! I was really starting to sweat the competition from the bigger, more experienced competition! /s

The amazing thing is you get a Tesla, it’s bigger than the X, has more miles than the X, hauls more than the X, has more storage, is bulletproof, and virtually indestructible from day to day use...not sure how the S and X line moves in the next two years but Cybertruck is the ultimate deal.
Hoho, I bet with money that the S and X will be different in 2 years. Just bought a little TSLA

I'm not sure why people think this means deliveries in Q4, or even Q1. There's a lag time.

They moved the schedule forward six months. I.e. deliveries in Q2.

Definitely not Q4. But a few thousand deliveries in Q1 is in the cards ....along with official announcement in Q4 CC.
Announcement of timeline and even a single delivery has possibility to move the SP though ...

Man, it’s a long shot, but I really hope there is something to this rumor. That would surely ram the SP past 400.
There are a few pieces of information pointing to some deliveries in Q1. If it's accurate we will know soon (if?)when people start getting emails to configure. Some speculated maybe Q4 but I don't see enough time left in the year.