Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if already noted. Bearing in mind part of investor concern is what is happening to the opposition, this.

Feuding Korean firms risk disrupting electric car battery supplies

Quotes from article: The company, part of a South Korean conglomerate known as SK Group, said the nearly $1.7 billion factory will open in phases and should reach its full jobs potential by 2025..... The new factory is expected to produce enough batteries to power 250,000 electric vehicles, or EVs, per year at full capacity.

When is Tesla going to build a battery plant to make battery cells for 250,000 BEV a year? I mean that the essential ingredient in the BEV revolution is the supply of lithium ion batteries..so this is a critical component. Why are there no equivalent Tesla press releases?

Oh, they did? Nevada? Three years ago? So how are these competitors going to "catch Tesla" if they need five years to build a gigafactory?

Quotes from article: The company, part of a South Korean conglomerate known as SK Group, said the nearly $1.7 billion factory will open in phases and should reach its full jobs potential by 2025..... The new factory is expected to produce enough batteries to power 250,000 electric vehicles, or EVs, per year at full capacity.

When is Tesla going to build a battery plant to make battery cells for 250,000 BEV a year? I mean that the essential ingredient in the BEV revolution is the supply of lithium ion batteries..so this is a critical component. Why are there no equivalent Tesla press releases?

Oh, they did? Nevada? Three years ago? So how are these competitors going to "catch Tesla" if they need five years to build a gigafactory?

As usual Tesla's only true competition is itself.
Everybody is too slow copying GF1's 35GWh capacity, so Tesla moves ahead to build 2,000GWh annual capacity itself. I can't wait until battery day when we get more details of Tesla's TWh in-house battery production plan.
I'm sure capex cost per GWh will be far far lower than the competition and GF1 too.

The amazing thing is you get a Tesla, it’s bigger than the X, has more miles than the X, hauls more than the X, has more storage, is bulletproof, and virtually indestructible from day to day use...not sure how the S and X line moves in the next two years but Cybertruck is the ultimate deal.
Would make a great storm chasing vehicle.
upload_2019-11-27_8-3-33.jpeg

Electrek is reporting that the first year of Mustang Mach-E production is limited to 50k cars and has been sold out. They also mention that they are allocating 60% of that production for Europe to help them meet the emission requirements there.

So it seems that at least for now the Mach-E is a compliance car. I wouldn't say Ford is taking a step in the right direction, but they have at least turned toward the right direction.

It doesn't seem like it is likely to hurt the Model Y sales much, if at all.

Last edited:
The amazing thing is you get a Tesla, it’s bigger than the X, has more miles than the X, hauls more than the X, has more storage, is bulletproof, and virtually indestructible from day to day use...not sure how the S and X line moves in the next two years but Cybertruck is the ultimate deal.

It puts Elon's comments about producing the S for sentimentality reasons, explaining how the X is a Faberge egg (complext to produce), and down playing the importance of S/X sales in totality going forward. Dropping the Plaid powertrain into the X is relatively inexpensive compared to a full blown new X generation. What would get Elon's juices flowing, the present X or a new SUV based on the CT? Which would cheaper, easier to build and more profitable?

Then we have the S, with the Roadster rumored to have Carbon Fiber panels, will the next S share the roadster's platform? It would help lower costs some what and yield an untouchable Flagship performance wise.

Yes, in two to three years it will be interesting to see what happens to the S/X line. With the 3,Y and CT being such compelling products, we now understand Elon downplaying the S/X importance. Especially their effect on the bottom line.

Reactions: kbM3 and ladysbff
If we look at the last seven days, "Tesla Truck" is initially the most popular search term, but now "cybertruck" has overtaken it. There is little diurnal variation in "cybertruck" suggesting it is world-wide, with "Tesla Truck" being for the USA.

View attachment 481923

I don't know why but this makes me think about Mark Speigal's bathroom habits

Pre market is up a few. What’s the story this morning? 250k?
edit: appears Trump is saying China deal is close...rinse and repeat
Also in good news CNBC opened with “Ford bowing out of Apples to Apples contest against Elon Musk’s Cybertruck” lol

I'd like to see Tesla do the F-150 tug of war one more time. But this time using the most powerful AWD F-150 and start the tug of war on a steep incline. A video of CT pulling the Ford steeply uphill while it pulls downhill would be viewed world wide and leave Ford with that much more egg on their faces.

Reactions: ZsoZso
One thing that hasn’t been talked about much is the benefit of FSD for recreational use. Think bikers or hikers who will be able to go anywhere and summon their cars at the end of the ride or hike, wherever that may be. No need to turn around half way to get back to the same point from where you started.

I feel silly for not thinking of this before. Around here the issue is canoeing -- its always a pain and one reason some people still pay a place to handle the back haul. An FSD cybertruck either kills that business or the operator buys a cybertruck and puts it on the tesla network.

Caveat: even in two years it doesn't seem plausible that FSD will be sufficiently advanced. Tesla's autopilot can't handle some exits (one around Joplin, another going from 50 to 63 (Jefferson City heading south). The navigation says, "exit now" and autopilot stubbornly insists on not exiting. Okay, so those are very fixable (though they are outstanding since the inception) but the navigation system doesn't even know these back roads for river access even exist.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV and bpjod