Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

EMKx8PtU4AA1Upa.jpg
Tweet deleted?

Bang bang bang on the door baby!
Knock a little louder baby!
I can't hear you
Knock a little louder sugar!
I can't hear you
Bang bang bang on the door baby, knock a little louder
Bang bang on the door baby, bang bang!
On the door baby, bang bang!
On the door, bang bang!

Anyone have the problem of not being able (or wanting) to sell because it would create too much short term cap gains... and not having enough ready cash to pay those taxes (keeping same # of shares or trying to increase)? I don’t think I could sell (to trade/buy back) any meaningful amount so all I can do is buy more with what cash comes in and wait until next April/May/June/July for long term cap gains of 0. Tough times.

Yes and good point. This is like the trailhead of a mountain climb when you first start to notice you’re steadily going uphill.

It’s natural to think of TSLA doubling in 6 mo as a big move, but take a look at the 5y chart. It’s only just starting to break out of a long-standing range bound. There’s over $11B of short interest still calling the bluff of Longs and Elon’s bravado who won’t budge at least until Q4 earnings.

I could see another $100 added to the sp just from exuberance. When shorts finally capitulate it could add another digit to the sp. imho. :)

Break out is pretty huge usually when there's a cyclic range for years. Kathie Wood I think said it during an interview. And from my past AMD experience, shares doubled in price after a cyclical range of 2+ years.

Knock a little louder baby!
I can't hear you
Knock a little louder sugar!
I can't hear you
Bang bang bang on the door baby, knock a little louder
Bang bang on the door baby, bang bang!
On the door, bang bang!
I got me a Chrysler, it's as big as a whale and it's about to set sail...
To Peugeot...

over at Market Watch, Claudi Assis has warmed over her article on $TSLA's reaching new highs where she chides the reader for thinking that $TSLA might be a good investment:
Claudia Assis said:
The run has brought Tesla’s 2019 gains to 18%, compared with advances of 27% and 21% for the S&P 500 SPX, +0.43% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.45% in the same period.

She then reinforces the point at the end:
Claudia Assis said:
Analysts polled by FactSet expect the company to report an adjusted profit of $1.30 a share on sales of $6.7 billion. That would compare with an adjusted profit of $1.93 a share on sales of $7.2 billion in the year-ago period.

That's Tesla, locked in a downward spiral of lowered revenue! Oh, wait, that was profit? And profit can fluctuate based on growth costs? Erm, well, never mind.

But that was all she could muster for negativity. (Although she mischaracterizes the $100 reservation fee as a deposit that is just a minor error.)

Break out is pretty huge usually when there's a cyclic range for years. Kathie Wood I think said it during an interview. And from my past AMD experience, shares doubled in price after a cyclical range of 2+ years.

Yeah seeing how we've been in a trading range for so many years, I think this move is going to be big and last a while(since there are so many upcoming catalysts). The pent up pressure from that trading range is going to take quite a while to unwind itself. I'm not banking on it or expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised at 450+ after Q4 numbers, 550+ after Q4 earnings, and then 700+ at time of S&P inclusion(possibly higher if Battery Investor Day is before S&P inclusion)

Last edited:
over at Market Watch, Claudi Assis has warmed over her article on $TSLA's reaching new highs where she chides the reader for thinking that $TSLA might be a good investment:

Claudia Assis said:
The run has brought Tesla’s 2019 gains to 18%, compared with advances of 27% and 21% for the S&P 500 SPX, +0.43% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.45% in the same period.

If she is emphasizing that TSLA has not risen as much this year as the S&P 500, then she must be trying to tell us that TSLA is a great bargain right now. :cool:

Anyone have the problem of not being able (or wanting) to sell because it would create too much short term cap gains... and not having enough ready cash to pay those taxes (keeping same # of shares or trying to increase)? I don’t think I could sell (to trade/buy back) any meaningful amount so all I can do is buy more with what cash comes in and wait until next April/May/June/July for long term cap gains of 0. Tough times.

This is when you get into options.

Reactions: lklundin
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/19/evgo-tesla-connector-nationwide-charging-network/

Could this be pretty big news? (on any normal day for the stock, it would be huge news)

A network of non-Tesla-connector BEV charging stations is installing Tesla connectors at its charging sites!!!

In other words the definition of "industry standard," in the BEV charging world, could be changing.

It can only be because Tesla has to date sold the vast majority of BEVs.

TSLA headed back to $406 ?

Not necessarily. April is just 4 mths away. Profitable 2020Q1 Report likely gets TSLA into the S&P 500. That takes us over $500/sh in Spring. Besides, AJ already called it. :D
Would one expect Q1 to be the last, desperate attempt of the shorts and FUDsters, then? Delay of S&P seems like the only tactic left.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/19/evgo-tesla-connector-nationwide-charging-network/

Could this be pretty big news? (on any normal day for the stock, it would be huge news)

A network of non-Tesla-connector BEV charging stations is installing Tesla connectors at its charging sites!!!

In other words the definition of "industry standard," in the BEV charging world, could be changing.

It can only be because Tesla has to date sold the vast majority of BEVs.

TSLA headed back to $406 ?
Spin the story : “ Tesla facing a decline of revenue that they used to get by selling overpriced Charger Adapter”

• Funny
Reactions: capster and wipster