Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is gonna come as a surprise to most of you......TSLA on $420 Day is nowhere to be found on the CNBC front page. Shocking!

If you think about it. $420 is a pretty arbitrary metric. It shouldn't be a thing except for Elon making a controversial tweet last year.

From my viewpoint as an investor, the only value is that it pushes us past yet another thing from 2018. I'll be glad when we're pretty far away from the 2018 drama and it is out of the news cycle.

(setting the humor aside)

Tesla bought a company that specializes in compressing NNs, ie getting similar function with smaller NNs. This would appear to be a way to to take hw3 NN and squeeze it into a hw2.x. EM did tweet that they had some more work to do re 2.x.
It’s certainly possible, and a logical argument. I give it a little less weight than I might otherwise, however, because of his comment in the last quarterly earnings call. Namely, that the hire was not as strategic as some of us were assuming, but more of an aqui-hire. YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Screenshot_20191223-191625.png
Gene Munster on Twitter

check in the nearest Tesla car, it says "BETA". That means it's not complete. That in turn means they need to keep developing it until it's complete.

All beta. some more stable than the others none are perfect. FSD needs them to be perfect => shared development => why wasting time doing parallel development of the same stuff independently?
Software is never finished. If it is being used it will be enhanced if it is not it will be abandoned.

Last edited:
Tesla bought a company that specializes in compressing NNs, ie getting similar function with smaller NNs. This would appear to be a way to to take hw3 NN and squeeze it into a hw2.x. EM did tweet that they had some more work to do re 2.x.

Yep it is interesting, but I also think acquire hire, and just making things more efficient in general is a likely motivation...

It could be they want to squeeze a better version of EAP into HW2, customers with EAP and HW2 will eventually be the minority...
But for now Tesla doesn't want to update them to HW3 unless they purchase FSD.

We are all saying similar things in slightly different ways... but IMO fully functional and government approved FSD on HW2 will never happen, it needs HW3.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I know this is gonna come as a surprise to most of you......TSLA on $420 Day is nowhere to be found on the CNBC front page. Shocking!

And I heard little of substance throughout today's trading session on CNBC regarding Tesla, as it was reaching an all-time high for the fourth consecutive day. Primarily there was casual mention of Elon not tweeting what he shouldn’t and instead posting lighthearted tweets. Of course well after the market close on “Fast Money”, Tesla short selling money manager Tim Seymour, who earlier had proclaimed he would cover at $320 and later at $370, instead dissed Tesla and noted that he is still waiting to learn more about fundamental matters in the upcoming Tesla earnings reports. Although the others on that panel were generally more positively inclined toward Tesla without their going into much detail.

Meanwhile, CNBC’s car industry reporter Phil LeBeau was tied down with another matter. He is also their airplane industry reporter. So with Boeing’s CEO being fired today, LeBeau was confined to that subject, especially since LeBeau is based in Chicago and beleaguered Boeing is headquartered there. Perhaps we’ll hear more from LeBeau tomorrow regarding Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm surprised we actually hit it. I assumed that the evil powers would have pulled out all the stops to prevent it. Well, maybe they did and just couldn't stop it.
Haven't you been watching the show?! AJ already said its going* to $500 then back to $250. /s

Cheers!

* and he's ignoring the S&P 500 addtion around $500

It's also the only one pointed the wrong way.

Old joke:
Wife calls husband who's driving home from work. "Honey, watch out, there's someone driving the wrong way on the 405!"
Husband: "Not just one, there are lots of them!"

Funny! Also reminds me of:

445FF255-34B4-4CA1-8125-36A151D79DAD.jpeg

(Any excuse to throw out a Gary Larson cartoon. :D)

Not sure why the above matters when the sheer number of people in China that can afford a Tesla is very high even when compared to US.

China overtakes US in rankings of world's richest people

No it isn't and your link further proves the point. 99M Americans in the Global Top 10% vs 100M Chinese in the global Top 10%. 1% more Chinese.

The market for $100k cars is much greater in China than US because many more wealthy Chinese wish to flaunt wealth.

The market for sub $15k is much greater in China, maybe an order of magnitude or more.

There is a greater market for $35k-$60k cars in the USA.

She 'claims' to be away from home. But we know what's really going on...Amazon is using all the AWS servers to handle their holiday rush, leaving little left for 'differential evolution of fluids' (aka KarenBot).
An AI can't actually bake a cake. She got herself into a corner and needed an excuse for no cake post.