Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brokerage account increased by an amount equal to 100% of my original, non-margin investment...in one day...
Yep,,, guessing some dotm calls and closer expiration dates are doing wonders for their owners, but they'd make me too stressed out. Never know when macros or some other sugar happens.

I have an opposite problem of my 1/22 320c and 400c becoming illiquid. Nobody trades 320 anymore and the 2 year time premium is like $50/share growth, I'm sure it'll do better. I'm thinking to give up on these and just keep 'em as downpayment on CT. I didn't roll 400c, just bought another 500c instead.

I am still waiting for an explanation as to what this means.
Does stealth ever reply to such things?

You were complaining about seeing so much investment advice on the TSLA investors forum.

I was tongue in cheek, pointing out that it must really hurt (to see so much investment advice).

'Cause once you see investment advice, you can't "unsee" it! ;)

Yep,,, guessing some dotm calls and closer expiration dates are doing wonders for their owners, but they'd make me too stressed out. Never know when macros or some other sugar happens.

I have an opposite problem of my 1/22 320c and 400c becoming illiquid. Nobody trades 320 anymore and the 2 year premium is like $50/share growth, I'm sure it'll do better. I'm thinking to give up on these and just keep 'em as downpayment on CT. I didn't roll 400c, just bought another 500c instead.

Liquidity improves on the week of expiry so you may get lucky next week. I now try to stick to LEAPS expiration dates to ensure maximum liquidity after I got screwed selling some DOTM puts expiring a couple weeks after Cybertruck banking on a pop. Liquidity on those high strikes ($420) dried up after the stock fell and I got exercised before I could find a seller.

TSLA missed the AH memo.
Look again :)

upload_2020-1-13_16-33-35.png

At a casual glance, it seems volume dropped just before close?

That's not what my Schwab charts are showing. It does take 15-20 minutes for most of the data to update, especially during heavy volume days. In fact, it's showing more volume in the final minute of trading than happened at any other minute of the day, save the first four minutes of the day. And strong volume up to that point.

...so have decided I will probably hold through earnings, despite how badly that went last year...

I think the point worth remembering, @Vines , from a stock value point of view, good news / bad news swings are irrelevant until you sell. If you accept that Tesla will be volatile, but will grow over time on average, then your money is "safe"r than flipping. Close your eyes for bad news! Celebrate good news! And "buy low / sell high". I'm not giving advice, just repeating common wisdom.

I hold TSLA since March 2011. How am I late to the party? Simply making an observation about general market state.
In a long bull run that span over years, you could be making the same statement everyday and be wrong every single time until a major correction finally hits. Your statement carries as much information as those predicting end of the world.

Liquidity improves on the week of expiry so you may get lucky next week. I now try to stick to LEAPS expiration dates to ensure maximum liquidity after I got screwed selling some DOTM puts expiring a couple weeks after Cybertruck banking on a pop. Liquidity on those high strikes ($420) dried up after the stock fell and I got exercised before I could find a seller.
By 1/22 I mean Jan 2022, so not worried about expiration for those yet ;).

That's about when I buy CT, so I'll cash them out just in time and, hopefully, they won't fall a lot right before that.

I think they'll do comparable to shares, I had 100%+ run on them so far, but I also get a decent lottery chance to capture any FSD news with these.

That's not what my Schwab charts are showing. It does take 15-20 minutes for most of the data to update, especially during heavy volume days. In fact, it's showing more volume in the final minute of trading than happened at any other minute of the day, save the first four minutes of the day. And strong volume up to that point.
My source is simply this Nasdaq chart, showing shorter yellow columns toward closing:
Screenshot_2020-01-13 TSLA $526 50 48 35 (10 11%).png

The issue here is that all car companies are completely unprepared for Tesla. Are there ANY traditional automakers actually trying to do anything resembling what Tesla is doing? It's like watching Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry, etc. trying to react to the iPhone. We all know what happened there. In less than a decade, it's an iOS and Android world. Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry, etc. have all ceased to exist in the mobile industry.