Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
94.5 billion market value. What's VW at again?

POLL: When will Tesla pass VW to become the 2nd most valuable auto manufacturer?

US$8.2 B to go until TSLA becomes the second most valuable auto manufacturer in the world:

upload_2020-1-13_17-16-47.png

PS I added TSLA's recent "low water mark" of $176 at June 1, 2018. The SP has almost tripled in price in the last 7 months.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-13_17-16-24.png
    upload_2020-1-13_17-16-24.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Some pondering:

1. The moment you look at your trading account and the realization hits you that the gain you made today is more than your yearly salary...

2. On the other hand, I spent more time looking at a silly stock ticker than working today, is that a meaningful way of life ?

3. Maybe I should stop both (working & looking at stock tickers) and find something better to do with my life ?

ps: is it Elon's pay-day tomorrow ?

People who are not stock savvy will always look at the stock price vs the market cap. Even after explaining market cap/share 3 times to a female friend of mine..she still from time to time tells me how "expense" TSLA shares are and how cheap ford is at only 9 dollars a share. Jay2cent, a well known tech youtuber did an in-depth analysis on AMD the company, and said "wow AMD's stock is almost at Intels!" without bringing up market cap or anything. Also checked comments and not one person corrected him about this out of millions of subscribers.

Telling you, the majority of people has zero clue.
So I don't see a split as a bad thing, might as well get clueless people to invest.
"A pizza parlor waitress asks a customer if he wants the pizza cut into four pieces or six pieces or eight pieces. The customer then declares that he wants either four or six pieces of pizza “because I can’t eat eight.”

Mark Speigel became a TSLA Bear in 2013. We have now reached a stock price at which if you had invested $100,000 in TSLA stock as a Long at the time Speigel began shorting you would have $1,000,000 in your account by believing in Elon ($$Teslanaire$$). But if you believed Mark Speigel and had invested in Stanphyl Capital you could have likely lost your initial investment many times over.

Thank god the Oppenheimer guy corrected that nonsense CNBC just tried to spew. They had to get in some sort of dig on Tesla and went back to an oldie - "You have to dig up a lot of coal and burn natural gas to make the energy to run those cars....."

Oppenheimer dude shut down that crap super fast by pointing out how coal is rapidly being shut down and replaced by renewable because the cost factor is so much cheaper.

...all as though oil production and delivery (and spillage) and gasoline and diesel refinement and delivery takes no energy at all......

Some pondering:

1. The moment you look at your trading account and the realization hits you that the gain you made today is more than your yearly salary...

2. On the other hand, I spent more time looking at a silly stock ticker than working today, is that a meaningful way of life ?

3. Maybe I should stop both (working & looking at stock tickers) and find something better to do with my life ?

ps: is it Elon's pay-day tomorrow ?
Considering you're a Tesla bull, you should be smarter and more productive than the average worker. You should be able to make up for it on a normal working day.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

The issue here is that all car companies are completely unprepared for Tesla. Are there ANY traditional automakers actually trying to do anything resembling what Tesla is doing? It's like watching Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry, etc. trying to react to the iPhone. We all know what happened there. In less than a decade, it's an iOS and Android world. Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry, etc. have all ceased to exist in the mobile industry.
A good point, but it is easier to get into the cellphone market than make vehicles. Rivian still hasn't reached market, and they appear to be the closest.

Who knows what the automotive market will look like in 10 years, but the one thing I'm certain of is that it won't be like it is today. Maybe Toyota will still be kicking, or VW, but I'm pretty confident the only way for Ford to survive is to be bought out -- and why would anyone do that, other than for the name?

Some will be bailed out, but to be meaningful any bailout will have to come with considerable strings attached. Such as using the bailout money to invest in electric drive trains -- otherwise the bailout will repeat and citizens get grouchy the first time around, much less on repeat.

To anyone considering using the winning to get a Tesla or upgrade to a newer one:

Go ahead and do it in Q1, but, please seriously consider taking a loan for the car instead of paying in full.

Just think about the probability of that money would gain less than the interest rate in TSLA in 5 years.

Don’t be the one who calculates how much your beloved car really costed you after 5yrs.

Not advice, but if you have other income you should consider.

I was planning to sell stock in 2017 to buy my Model S.
When I talked to Carol, she said “What! Don’t sell any stock! What about a loan?” I looked into a loan. Tesla offered 0.9% financing.
Can we all agree I’m the second smartest member of my home team?

My brokerage account increased by an amount equal to 100% of my original, non-margin investment...in one day...

My TSLA holdings are 3x greater than my 401k, and I have the equivalent of 12% of my salary going into the 401k for the past ~7 years. As a youngling, I'm beginning to think the idea of an early retirement isn't so crazy after all, and that it may even happen within 10-15 years...

Without this thread and contributing members, there's no way I would have been able to feel confident enough to not take profits. And after five years of accumulating more and more into my position, I finally feel like I'm truly in the next Amazon/Apple-like rise.

Apologies, I’m 15 pages behind in the thread...

Have been thinking about the buying pressure and given the high short interest that has been well advertised over the years, I was thinking perhaps this is making it doubly attractive right now.

Could this be a dimension in play, new buyers trying to precipitate that fabled short squeeze?

Btw, is there anybody here with VW short squeeze experience?

Are all calls expected to be squeezed as much or better or there's a general understanding that the squeeze applies to shares only and there's no need to overbid calls (unless they expire in a day or two)?
As I understand it, in the VW squeeze there was no liquidity. With $TSLA there is a lot of liquidity. The problem for the shorts isn't the availability of shares being sold in order for them to cover, its the stubborn, "keep shorting until Musk is on Mars" nonsense.

Whether its because this is an expense item for oil interests or something else doesn't really matter. At the end of the day if the shorts decide to cover then they can do so in fairly short order. The "days to cover" is usually just a couple of days -- though if all sales through the trading day were covering the price would spike pretty hard. But as long as they can cover at their leisure (which certainly appears to be the case) it will continue to be more of a firm "hug" than a squeeze.

My first 200 shares are now 11-baggers. Yegads. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this forum for helping keeping me even-keeled through the rough times.

Yes, I'm one who hedged a bit recently and as a result I'll likely have some shares called away this month. But I've enjoyed (most of) the ride, having some profit locked in will aid my sleep, and that initial investment ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I don't necessarily recommend selling any at this point, but I will just mention as a reminder that we have collectively been happy and confident in the past during substantial rises (though nothing like this since 2013!) only to have something unforeseen cause deep, rapid pullbacks. I'd like to believe that Tesla is in a much stronger position now, with many fewer major risks in the near future, but there are always black swan events. Ensure that while you're celebrating these gains, you'd be completely comfortable if next week the stock was back at $350*.

* - How awesome is it that $350 is now our 'well that'd be highly unlikely' doomsday scenario?