Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies, I’m 15 pages behind in the thread...

Have been thinking about the buying pressure and given the high short interest that has been well advertised over the years, I was thinking perhaps this is making it doubly attractive right now.

Could this be a dimension in play, new buyers trying to precipitate that fabled short squeeze?
I would not be surprised at all if there were some harvesting via stop loss orders.

POLL: When will Tesla pass VW to become the 2nd most valuable auto manufacturer?

US$8.2 B to go until TSLA becomes the second most valuable auto manufacturer in the world:

View attachment 499770

PS I added TSLA's recent "low water mark" of $176 at June 1, 2018. The SP has almost tripled in price in the last 7 months.

Well whaddaya know? All eight of the other auto manufacturers I cover are down since December 31. Only TSLA is up.

+26% in two weeks.

Is this a sea change?

I was planning to sell stock in 2017 to buy my Model S.
When I talked to Carol, she said “What! Don’t sell any stock! What about a loan?” I looked into a loan. Tesla offered 0.9% financing.
Can we all agree I’m the second smartest member of my home team?

Wednesday of last week I told my wife that I was feeling a little anxious about the fast run up, concerned with a potential pullback. She talked me off the ledge and finished with: "Don't do anything stupid." (Meaning don't sell.) :D

TSLA blows past $500 and THIS is the best CNBC can do?
Really?
CNBC should axe their columnists and editors responsible and start anew with proper Tesla coverage. CNBC are doing their readers an injustice and should be ashamed and embarrassed of themselves. Glad readers are waking up to the farce these Mass Media outlets have become, self serving, no longer relevant.
Bought a few more shares today after seeing this nonsense.
Earned a year's salary with my TSLA today not listening to CNBC, and that's with simply buy'em and hold'em stock.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 5.10.40 PM.png

"A pizza parlor waitress asks a customer if he wants the pizza cut into four pieces or six pieces or eight pieces. The customer then declares that he wants either four or six pieces of pizza “because I can’t eat eight.”

What, is this bad joke time? Okay.

In Greek mythology, Chiron was a renowned centaur. Son of Chronos (disguised as a horse) and an oceanid, his mother abandoned him when she saw him, leading to him being adopted by Apollo, who taught him in the ways of medicine. In addition to serving as a doctor himself, Chiron in turn is credited with having tutored other renowned doctor figures, such as Asclepius.

Basically, he was a centaur for disease control.

At the end of the day if the shorts decide to cover then they can do so in fairly short order. The "days to cover" is usually just a couple of days -- though if all sales through the trading day were covering the price would spike pretty hard.

Think that reasoning might not be the case with both short interest and daily volume as percentage of free float this high. I'm not the expert, but i'm assuming a lot of trades taking place is done by algos and daytraders trading the same share over and over again. If those shares that are traded several times a day are taken out of the market, then where are the additional shares to cover coming from?

Back of a napkin analysis today because I couldn’t focus on anything and I was still thinking Thursday Friday of last week was a manipulation down.

since the June 3 low close, this rally broken down by closing price gains per each day of the week. A million caveats apply and I don’t care about any of them so just take it for what it is. Thursday got a significant bump due to Q3 report after hours Wednesday

Monday - $137.8 - 40%
Tuesday -$57.38 - 17%
Wednesday - $62.51- 18%
Thursday - $65.97 - 19%
Friday - $22.23 - 6%

Hmmmmm, not surprising with all the Friday option expiration dates we go through manipulations.
Congrats to all longs on a great day!!

Think that reasoning might not be the case with both short interest and daily volume as percentage of free float this high. I'm not the expert, but i'm assuming a lot of trades taking place is done by algos and daytraders trading the same share over and over again. If those shares that are traded several times a day are taken out of the market, then where are the additional shares to cover coming from?
Sure, I agree that it is a flawed metric. However, it is an accepted one (NASDAQ includes "days to cover" in their short interest data) so I used that as a starting point.

The most basic point was in what you clipped. Specifically, that in the VW squeeze the float was reduced below the shares shorted. There simply weren't enough shares to buy for covering.

With $TSLA it is what, I forget, ~20% of the float? A lot of trading to be sure, but there is still plenty of liquidity. Especially for leisurely covering, which is what appears to be going on (at least for the big shorts).

Reactions: guidooo
CNBC - hour ago:

Had to LOL when the guy in the middle brought up burning a lot of coal to make the Teslas run. This is a NYC broadcast and as far as I know most of the eastern half of the U.S. is running on nuclear power. I get he and others there are out to protect their clients who they've put into oil stocks and legacy manufacturers. But seeing Electrek's stories today on GM and others working to bring out diesel vehicles just had me shaking my head. Lots of money behind all of those guys and fighting the future as hard as they can while they try to make nice soundbytes about moving towards EVs...well not here in the US really. Then there's BMW who hasn't been doing very well against Tesla with their R&D guy saying most of the US doesn't need EVs. I believe these guys, sadly with their i3, are so far behind developing anything to really compete with the Model 3 that they are trying to rationalize their positions and trying to convince the public they are right so they don't get left out in car sales. I don't know is there something about a fun BEV car to drive and low maintenance and operating cost being undesirable?

Diesel tries to make a comeback, with help from GM and other EV-makers - Electrek
BMW R&D Chief: ‘Most of the US does not need BEVs’ - Electrek

I'm not typically a vengeful person, but I really want the short sellers to be scared right now! Because I remember how I felt back in May last year, and how much doubt I had at one point as the stock price was crashing through $200, and the only thing that helped me regain confidence was this forum. And I couldn't be more pleased with how radically, and how quickly, things changed.

So, yeah, how do you like them apples, Shortz?

I’m in the same boat. In May I shared my dramatic losses (on paper) here on TMC and it got picked up by TSLAQ. I was ridiculed on Twitter, how stupid I was to blow my retirement money on TSLA calls. It felt horrible, I even had to delete my Twitter account because the comments were so nasty!

But, I didn’t sell, I held on and rolled over what I could to buy myself more time.

Guess who is laughing now?

My account is now at all time high, 6x up from the low point in May.

These are the lowest of people, no need to feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. In May I shared my dramatic paper losses (on paper) here on TMC and it got picked up by TSLAQ. I was ridiculed on Twitter, how stupid I was to blow my retirement money on TSLA calls. It felt horrible, I even had to delete my Twitter account because the comments were so nasty!

But, I didn’t sell, I held on and rolled over what I could to buy myself more time.

Guess who is laughing now?

My account is now at all time high, 6x up from the low point in May.

These are the lowest of people, no need to feel sorry for them.

Agreed, no need to feel sorry for them, they are certainly mean spirited when they are making money. Lets not swing too far in trolling them though either.

Whats weird is users saying they prefer the atmosphere of TSLAQ over TSLA fans. As if TSLA had treated him badly and TSLAQ was always reasonable? Seems pretty backwards to my eye, but everyone is entitled to opinions.
If this is actual public opinion then I worry about our twitter community. I mean twitter is a cesspool but his take surprised me honestly.