Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently sitting at over 200% gain on my stock. :D

Cheers to the longs who have held on through the shaky 2019 year!
Only 200%? I'm at 1,763%! Damn I'm glad I stayed long, especially after last year... I always knew these days would come, but around 180 I admit I was getting a bit nervous. As the late great Tom Petty sang, "I'm too long to be proud..."

But I am a happy boy, just like the late great Country Dick Montana!

Hmm, sending a theme here with "late, great.". Better take my 4:20 medicine...

Last edited:
Meanwhile in $TSLAQ world Their arguments have fallen to a new level- forehead to chin ratio of the investors

upload_2020-2-3_16-6-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-3_16-6-34.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-3_16-6-34.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 56
@Fact Checking @FrankSG
Could you guys please revisit the calls(spreads?) Tesla issued to limit the dilution from loans?

Are they guaranteed to sell those in Q1 given the price runup and (I believe) limited upside???

I'm not an expert on that specific topic to be honest, but it looks like there's still 50% upside on them. It looks like the Jun'21 and Jun'22 spreads are treading at ~$200 a piece right now. They'll be worth $300 if SP ends up above $600 upon expiration.

I hope Tesla doesn't sell them to make their financials look better in a certain quarter, but if they're simply trying to benefit from their rising SP, then I hope they rolled them over a few days ago already.

So, um... I've got some profit on my hands now... and I was thinking about getting a small position in ARKK / innovation fund. Anyone trade this with Interactive Brokers? When I try, I get "Contract is not available for trading". :Þ
O'k, I get that we all here on TMC love ARK's analysis on Tesla and their 10% max hold on TSLA in their fund, but why would you want to put money in ARKK? Have you researched all the other companies in ARKK's portfolio as much as you have TSLA? Of course not, that would be a few full time jobs right there. Why buy the milk when you can buy the cow, the egg when you can buy the goose? Just say'n.
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.06.02 PM.png

Regular CNBC Fast Money panelist, money manager and vocal Tesla short-seller Tim Seymour was a no-show today. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

CNBC - 2019 OCT 14:

That is freakin hilarious. The consensus is that while $TSLA might go up it was ultimately headed down -- back to $200 or $100. Something about "sure, its up 20% over the last two months, but it can just drop 20%."

Sure, or it could go up 20% in one freakin day!

But, hey, maybe ole Tim is still short. How much money can he lose :p

Let's see, Oct 14th it was ~$257 and was slightly down on Oct 23rd. But two days later it was $328 (~+27%), but they were right, and the bull run only ended up ~+153% Friday only to fall today by +20% :D

Yeah, those guys really know how to read the market :rolleyes:

Twenty thumbs-ups. Absolutely outstanding.

Thank you so much! I have been looking forward to this for almost two years now. It hasn't sunk in yet to be honest, lol. Part of me is just relieved to not have it occupying so much thought space. I feel like Frodo:

giphy.gif

Personal anecdote aside, a bit of investor related information on inventory: I was informed by the sales advisor I'm working with that the website estimate for California X deliveries (6-8 weeks) is accurate. So if his word is to be taken at face value (always a caveat with SA anecdotes) that would mean they are pretty close to sold out of Q1 inventory for X at least. And I was only given two local inventory listings, neither of which are discounted. So...demand seems fine. :D

I'll be sure to keep the forum apprised of my delivery timeline in the event I find it relevant as an indicator of Tesla's Q1 sales.

Wow! Some of our members stock trading adventures are fantastic! I wish I were more savvy at making trades beyond just outright stock purchase.

I entertained buying Tesla stock many years ago, but my comfortable investment was home building. Having no first hand trading experience I stayed on the sidelines looking at Tesla and hoping they could make it. DeLorean and it's demise would creep in (as well) to keep my brain shut off to investment.

I have been an investor in the real estate market since 20 years old. I made fortunes and lost fortunes in those decades. I lost my retirement to a financial services company who went bankrupt when Madoff scandal hit. Licking my wounds and getting physically older I decided that I needed to try stock trading myself.

A friend of mine, I had found out, was trading stock. So I asked him to help point me in the right direction. I set up a stock trading account about 2 years ago and I think my first Tesla was $335 a share. Of course, I wish I could have gotten in at the $180 price :) but that didn't develop until after I had spent my wad at $335.

My stock trading has been mostly a set it and forget it because I don't have the knowledge to "play the market". My next chunk of purchase occurred when the stock was pumped to go private and i got in close to $405. I've got a few shares here and there at various levels and made purchases in January as well as today at $776.

Certainly my timing for my stock purchasing could have been better. One mistake I continually make, is not getting my account funded quick enough to make a fast move when necessary.

What I have proven to myself is that even a blind old squirrel can find a nut! Some people may feel that they have missed the opportunity of this rocket, but I say this is liftoff, and it has only just begun. :cool:

Well, I guess to wrap this up: While it was hard to see the stock at hard red in the past, I sure am grateful (even without perfect trading by me) that it has turned hard green and we can celebrate!

Thank you fellow investors! Time to party! :D

Last edited:
Okay, I feel like I needed to post. Congrats everyone! I started buying TSLA in 2014 and I did stupid things along the way (such as margin and LEAPs). Made some good decisions too (i.e. SCTY arbitrage, and loading with as much "spare" money as I can get). Overall, it seems like it turns out better or even much better than if I were being "conservative" or "prudent" with my investments, but I guess I lucked out... Here's the collector's item I got recently:
photob.jpg

Not sure how they got that record volume on largest gain ever(total money value gain of the stock, not stock percentage gain) is the day that Tesla reached it's top. I actually got the exact opposite feeling. With 46 million shares trading hands, plenty of investors that wanted to sell were able to sell...….and at multiple stock price ranges throughout the day. It wasn't like the stock was straight up and then sold off continually into the close. There were 2 distinct events in today's trading where obvious profit taking took place......and yet the stock buying not only recovered but then pushed higher.

With this level of volume, some major positions/stakes are being taken while plenty of "satisfied" investors headed for the door to collect their gains.

Wow! These cretins literally have no idea at all about anything, lol!!
It boggles my mind they could be so close to this every day and not figure it out. Just sit back today and look at your own coverage....it was non-existent all day! The most amazing stock action since the late 90's and you didn't cover it? Ever bother to ask yourself why?

It should be clear as day to these simpletons that there's been massive coordinated downward pressure on this stock for way too long and it's now being released. Normal market action might have us in calm waters at $600 today, they helped create this run-up.

The call is coming from inside the house!

Okay, so many of us are "like Elon" in that we have some serious assets in TSLA. (AND, not to be a pill, but don't forget: what goes up might come down again . . . even if the long-term trend is upward.)

Question: how does one turn that into cash flow without actually selling any shares? I guess there's always covered calls, but are there any other avenues by which one can monetize a large portfolio without actually selling any of the shares?

We're decades-long holders of TSLA, but sometimes some cash flow is a good thing. There will likely never be dividends from TSLA as investing in new GF's (and mines!) is a far better way for Tesla to put any excess cash to work.

Thanks for any insights on this "problem."

It would be really interesting to know how many extra Teslas will be ordered in Q1 due to gains in TSLA!
I know early on that a lot of Model S's were purchased with TSLA gains and obviously quite a few have been ordered recently due to gains. Wonder how that could be calculated? And is there anything else other than perhaps iPhones that have been procured strictly from the gains in the stock of the company that made the product? Sounds like a great Case Study or MBA project.