Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think anthonyj implied that $1100 was relatively imminent...weeks rather than years.

At this rate there is a real possibility it might only be days! I sort of hope not as If it does run so high so fast it's going to get really unstable as opposed to a nice steady climb. I don't really care though, it's all noise to me for at least the next 3.5 years... ;)

Soooo ... shorts are still not covering en masse, so we have new buyers flooding in.
Who might be that crazy to buy like a maniac @ATH? Cold technical buyer who calculated a target price and find the current price to be a bargain.
I suggest we try to ignore the party and consider this pricing still dirt cheap.
Yeah, it might get even cheaper or it might not ever again in our lifetime.

Remember 2013? It went up 6x, same rise puts as @2000. No rule saying it has to be same 6x, nor it has to be just 3x nor 12x. Time will tell.
What matters is your own target price. As long the price is lower, it is a buying opportunity for you. When the price goes above your target price its time to sell.

Now, what would a reasonable target price look like? No effing clue ... at this time I'd say 5k. When we reach 4k I might reconsider.

Okay, so many of us are "like Elon" in that we have some serious assets in TSLA. (AND, not to be a pill, but don't forget: what goes up might come down again . . . even if the long-term trend is upward.)

Question: how does one turn that into cash flow without actually selling any shares? I guess there's always covered calls, but are there any other avenues by which one can monetize a large portfolio without actually selling any of the shares?

We're decades-long holders of TSLA, but sometimes some cash flow is a good thing. There will likely never be dividends from TSLA as investing in new GF's (and mines!) is a far better way for Tesla to put any excess cash to work.

Thanks for any insights on this "problem."

If you don't want to execute trades for your cash flow via covered calls, you can get a SBLOC. There are risks, of course, as you're taking out a loan against your investment and the lender could liquidate securities to cover shortages.

Securities-Backed Lines of Credit – It May Pay to See Beyond the Pitch | FINRA.org

Okay, I feel like I needed to post. Congrats everyone! I started buying TSLA in 2014 and I did stupid things along the way (such as margin and LEAPs). Made some good decisions too (i.e. SCTY arbitrage, and loading with as much "spare" money as I can get). Overall, it seems like it turns out better or even much better than if I were being "conservative" or "prudent" with my investments, but I guess I lucked out... Here's the collector's item I got recently:
View attachment 507589
Please, can we get a high resolution scan of the front page?

Okay, update. This morning I had solicited advice on what to do with my first option purchase as things were moving fast. I had bought a single $750 contract on 1/16/20 for $2.20, expires 2/21/20. SP was climbing into the 700's pretty fast and I wasn't expecting the possibility of it actually being ITM 2+ weeks into it. Never the less, didn't get any advice as the SP exceeded my $752.20 break even. However, my account showed a 2,800% ish gain so I sold it at $60 for an almost $6k profit on $220 in 18 days.

My understanding is that as the expiration date approaches, the theta decays exponentially so I decided to take the sure bet rather than expect the climb to be as meteoric as these past 2 weeks have been. Obviously no one can predict what the next 2 weeks will do but did I jump the gun here and miss out on potentially more significant gains? I keep hearing about after being ITM for too long, there are diminishing returns. Would that have even been an issue with such a short term option?

sixth-sense.jpg

Okay, so many of us are "like Elon" in that we have some serious assets in TSLA. (AND, not to be a pill, but don't forget: what goes up might come down again . . . even if the long-term trend is upward.)

Question: how does one turn that into cash flow without actually selling any shares? I guess there's always covered calls, but are there any other avenues by which one can monetize a large portfolio without actually selling any of the shares?

We're decades-long holders of TSLA, but sometimes some cash flow is a good thing. There will likely never be dividends from TSLA as investing in new GF's (and mines!) is a far better way for Tesla to put any excess cash to work.

Thanks for any insights on this "problem."

Lend it to Short Sellers :)

O'k, I get that we all here on TMC love ARK's analysis on Tesla and their 10% max hold on TSLA in their fund, but why would you want to put money in ARKK? Have you researched all the other companies in ARKK's portfolio as much as you have TSLA? Of course not, that would be a few full time jobs right there. Why buy the milk when you can buy the cow, the egg when you can buy the goose? Just say'n.View attachment 507586

Why buy ARKK? because ARKK is $53 which is much more manageable to cough up than $780

Okay, update. This morning I had solicited advice on what to do with my first option purchase as things were moving fast. I had bought a single $750 contract on 1/16/20 for $2.20, expires 2/21/20. SP was climbing into the 700's pretty fast and I wasn't expecting the possibility of it actually being ITM 2+ weeks into it. Never the less, didn't get any advice as the SP exceeded my $752.20 break even. However, my account showed a 2,800% ish gain so I sold it at $60 for an almost $6k profit on $220 in 18 days.

My understanding is that as the expiration date approaches, the theta decays exponentially so I decided to take the sure bet rather than expect the climb to be as meteoric as these past 2 weeks have been. Obviously no one can predict what the next 2 weeks will do but did I jump the gun here and miss out on potentially more significant gains? I keep hearing about after being ITM for too long, there are diminishing returns. Would that have even been an issue with such a short term option?

Let's go a litter further ITM to show an exaggerated example of "what could have been".
Below is a feb 7 600 call and a feb 7 800 call

The only reason this is relevant is because of the price move, if you had predicted this, fantastic. If the stock traded flat, the 800's would've tanked and the 600's relatively untouched. But to get the most gains out of a move you have to keep moving up with the SP.
So lets say you hold 1 600 call over the weekend from last Friday. Today it's up 222.23%, not bad! congrats!
Or you sold the 600 call on Friday and used all the proceeds to buy multiple 800's (you crazy). That netted you +3,000% for today with the same cost basis.
ex1.JPG

ex2.JPG

If you continually roll your calls to higher strikes, eventually you will be wrong and -100% in a matter of two days possibly depending on how aggressive you are (from experience :oops: ), if you keep the deep ITM, you have a chance to sell when things go south or wait out a small dip.
risk/reward. Use with caution or with a smaller portion of your portfolio. I use my short term winnings to add to long positions.

Interesting I'm seeing many bears/pundits saying that since volume today was so high, it showed shorts could all cover in a single day and it wouldn't lead to much of a squeeze effect (if you don't think a $100 move up is much of an effect).

However what today represented was 40 million+ shares (A significant chunk of the float) being traded above $700, meaning all those new longs are going to require a much bigger price to let go of their shares to the shorts looking to cover.

All the weak longs are out is what I'm saying.

Gene Munster's assessment is usually right.
Why Is TSLA Still Surging? | Loup Ventures

Nobody gets right 100% of the time. Those who gets 75% right, and generally follow good logic are in the top rank.

Edit: Gene is saying the market cap should hit $360B in a few years based on 20% revenue growth rate. But we know Tesla's revenue growth rate should be north of 50%, and margin will grow a lot too. His target probably will turn out to be conservative.

Last edited: