Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeahh, all i'll say to azaz is a half million bucks does not go nearly as far as you think it will.

I think in terms of the 4% withdrawal rate. So if one had $5M (10x $500k), a 4% withdrawal rate will provide $200k/year to live on. Considering that most live on less in retirement than while working, and that $200k is a pretty good annual salary, I figure that's a pretty good target to think in terms of.

Haven't seen this Wedbush rating and opinion from earlier today posted yet:

Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives weighed in on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) with their $1000 bull case now in sight. The analyst said their bull case remains.

Ives commented, "As we have discussed, our bull case for Tesla remains $1,000 and over the last week the fundamental story has changed for 3 reasons: 1) The China/Giga 3 growth story has gone from a pipe dream to a real fundamental driver for Musk & Co. with potential now to hit 150k units in the first year out of the gates, 2) profitability profile has morphed long-term earnings power from $15 to $30 and been a paradigm changer for the stock, and 3). Panasonic's bullish comments yesterday around the Tesla strategic partnership has been the straw that broke the camel's back for the bears, in our opinion, and given another leg to this rally."

The analyst reiterated a Neutral rating and $710 price target on TSLA.​

I am having a really hard time not hitting the sell button. Ugh
My brain as vacillating between resisting the urge to buy and the urge to sell. I feel like this guy.

thY2A3DFF8.jpg

My brain as vacillating between resisting the urge to buy and the urge to sell. I feel like this guy.

View attachment 507850
Looking at the ticker I think you're the only one who wants to sell.
I'm going to hold a few feb 7 1000c's into tomorrow am just for fun if this keeps up. I'm more than content now and well protected if it dives.
They're going to have a hard time finding enough shares for the SP500 inclusion when that occurs......

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Thanks for this. Why P/S vs P/Gross Profit or P/EBITDA or EBIT? Something needs to be said for the margins, with some kind of option pricing for TSLA's embedded call option on autonomy.

New battery tech and factory optimization will likely push margins up into 30% territory within a year in the woeful absence of credible competition. My understanding is it doesn't take that much improvement in batteries to affect margins substantially.

I'm going to mention a tax strategy I plan to use related to future inheritance (call it TSLA) money. Moderators are invited to move the post to a different thread if more appropriate or to turn it into an off topic (and teach me how to do that in the future.)

My wife and I are retired and our two children have been kicked out of the basement. Most of our money is in tax deferred retirement accounts, and we could just leave it there and pass it to them when we are both gone. However due to changes in the tax law recently, required minimum distributions are forced on us earlier than desired and it may push them into even higher tax brackets.

My intended strategy is to pull money out of the IRA that I do not want to use that is in the same tax bracket(s) that my children are currently in from their own W-2 and instruct them to contribute it to their own retirement investment accounts. To the extent this is possible (depending on wages and contribution limits) it will be a tax free wealth transfer. I'll have to wait on this approach until it does not severely increase my ACA costs -- for now that looks like either Medicare age or a big change to ACA.

Ok just came across what's perhaps the very best explanation as to why the stock's performed like this as of late (apologies in advance if someone pointed this out here already). Check out the video titled "Tom Lee: Telsa's stock Rally should be respected" on Yahoo Finance's TSLA page:

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News - Yahoo Finance

"There's a lot of Russell 1000 Fund Manager FOMO right now. We're talking 4 Trillion. So just a 1% change in allocation is 40B, which is way more than the short covering. So to me, this is a lot more about people [said managers] saying I don't own Tesla cuz last year it was a lousy stock, I better own 1% ... Imagine explaining to your shareholders "I missed out on one of the top 3 stocks YTD cuz I thought it had a short thesis..."

They are doing EVs. Eventually. Where required. Mostly, they say "EV" for hybrids and fuel cells[1]

I couldn't find the reference I remembered that talked about the BEV for China (and eventually Europe) but this[2] seems to be about the same vehicle. Toyota C-HR BEV also known as the Toyota IZOA BEV.

1) Toyota to Introduce 10 New Electrified Vehicles in China by 2020 | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

2) Toyota Goes Electric Starting In 2020: Announces Massive EV Offensive

This is from the IRS:
Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholdings and credits, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year, or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller.

If you pay during this tax year an amount equal to last year's tax you'll be OK until filing at April of next year (or later if you extend).
CA does not have the same "safe harbor rules" AGI's of $150K to $1,000K must pay 110% of prior year amount to avoid a penalty. Over $1,000K 90% of the CURRENT years tax....

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Lol. My retirement savings managers are a couple and have become good friends. I go into Etrade after market opens this morning and a second after I see we are up another $120 I get a call from the husband. Literally before my dropped jaw had time to undrop.
A few minutes later I get an email from the wife. She had picked up some shares mid last year when the big climb was starting. Asks me if she should sell 1/2 of her shares to buy a Tesla. Told her DON'T sell but DO buy the car ASAP. Explained a bit why and included link to this mornings Ron Barron interview!

Agree with your advice to her. Our solar/PW install is coming from other money. Don't plan to touch TSLA.

3). Panasonic's bullish comments yesterday around the Tesla strategic partnership has been the straw that broke the camel's back for the bears, in our opinion, and given another leg to this rally."

Yeah, I still don't think this has gotten enough attention. If they are making a profit it means they have lowered their cost per battery because it sure as h*ll doesn't mean Tesla is paying a higher price than before.